Any Stephen Roche fans ?

Stephen Roche Frame

Now in UK! :LOL:

Tracked this over Xmas too. Nearly bought a Bianchi EL OS, but plumped for this instead.

Will build into a beauty to match my Tommasini Tecno EL OS.

Attachments

• P1040387.JPG
    P1040387.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 728
That's great news - I look forward to seeing it built up.

Go easy on that tubing with the bike stand clamp !!

That's peanuts for a new EL frame - and what a rarity you've got. Have you been able to find out any more on its history ?

A couple of things seemed interesting on that frame - I guess you'll figure them out. First was the 'Cork' lettering on the seat tube. I'm not sure if this refers to Co. Cork or is the name of the frame builder. Roche came from Dublin, so not sure it's related to the place name or not. I also wondered why the steering tube threading was so short. It looks like once headset cups are fitted, the thread does go down far enough, but it also looks like the forks are from a much larger frame with the steerer cut down. I'm sure it's not a problem. I couldn't quite tell from the photos, but there appear to be lovely 'swirls' in the gunmetal metallic paint towards the BB area, like some of the Colnago paintjobs from the early 90's.

So, are you going to get a graphite finish Record gruppo to match the paintwork ?!

Roche Frame

Ive posted the details on a couple of forums as of yesterday for help. Taking great care on the bike stand (minimal pressure!).

I did as much research as I could on it before buying: there's no info on Stephen Roche Bikes before 2000 (I found archived webpages of Stephen Roches website which no longer exists) and all the posts suggest SR didnt make frames, but somebody like Carrera/ Battaglin maybe did.

SR has done some charity work in Cork, but that appears to be the only link. So is Cork a reference to the bike maker? The other clues are: the seat and down tubes are both flattened where the join the BB creating an elliptical cross-section- I assume for BB stifness-not seen this before. The dropouts are near vertical Technociclo and the chain protector says "Bio Racer"- a Belgium company that created the first bike rigs to improve the pedaling positions for riders (now focused on aero-dynamic clothing) but not sure if its original to the frame. There are cable guides under the cross bar and mounted either side of the headtube. The EL fork is sprayed to match and is considerably thinner than my Tommasini EL fork.

Weight of frame: 1815g/fork 705g

The paintwork is as you mentioned, and definitely dates it to the mid 90's. Its way better looking in the flesh than in photos (the grey is in fact a deep mauve!)

Im not sure if the fork is useable, as you rightly say the thread section isnt long enough to be present top and bottom-will need to consult with some more knowledgeable than myself as Id like to use it if poss... Still the frame alone worth the money.

Plans are either to go Campy Record 90's groupset or SRAM Rival 10 speed. With the Tommasini I went Centaur Carbon 10 speed with a 1995 EL OS NOS frame and Titanium seatpost and stem and I was really please with it (attached)

Hope I can find out more, but if you have any thoughts let me know!

Many thanks

Mike

Attachments

• tommasini 014AAA.jpg
    tommasini 014AAA.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 717
Lovely bike, there is a lot to be said for picking up inexpensive but quality steel frames, and building them with modern groupsets. Makes a very comfortable and versatile bike at the cost of cheapo lower spec'ed alloy bike.

Did the same with my Columbus Max Lee Cooper (built with Campag Daytona 10sp, Campag Nucleons and Thompson/Nitto/Selle/Vittoria):

r0011934.jpg

makhno68":27az74ng said:
Lovely bike, there is a lot to be said for picking up inexpensive but quality steel frames, and building them with modern groupsets.

Couldn't agree more - that's why I was scouring eBay at Xmas, as my main training bike has nice bits on it but a cheap s**t Ribble Alloy frame that I'll be happy to see recycled into drink cans one day. I'd even like to go further back and get something, say 60's or 70's Italian and fit modern parts.

Love both your bikes there - I always had a 'thing' about Columbus Max and EL. At least I eventually got something nice from Italy when I got my Columbus Airplane frame 7 years back (not really retro, but getting there !). I particularly like the Tommasini. The colours remind me of Bugno's Gatorade team Moser bikes in the 1990 season (also came in shades of green).

BTW makhno, tell me the origins of your Lee Cooper (not your jeans !)

Hope the forks on the SR work out OK - you may find a headset with slighly high stack height fits it OK (looks like you've gone that way on the Thommasini ?). The early 90's Campag ones were higher than the more recent lower profile types. Otherwise, some new 'EL' forks should be worth £100 to someone else.

It'll be interesting if Roche's Carrera team did get these made as a commemorative item, although it seems too recent to come from that era (as an aside, I used to have a Gios just like he rode for TonTonTapis).

I had a Bianchi (sadly stolen 10 years ago) with Chromor tubing and an ovalised downtube at the BB. So if Columbus can provide ovalised tube/lugsets at that low level, I'm sure they'll do it for something as sweet as EL.

Anyway - good stuff all round, I'm glad someone here got that frame. You'll have to go and stay at SR's hotel in the south of France and get him to sign your frame in yellow hammerite paint !

Good news on the Roche fork: sufficient steerer to fit a threaded headset and sufficient threading. Confirmed that the BB is Italian threaded too.

The Tommasini has spacers so that the steerer tube didnt need cutting. This is how it came to me.

A few purists wanted to see it kitted out with contemporary kit, but I wanted to feel I could update it at anytime. In addition the bike weight comes in under 18 lbs which was also part of the brief and a bonus when it gets hilly.

Like the Max bike! Very distintive and I imagine very stiff?

By the way, slightly off topic, but I said earlier I liked the colours of the Tomassini as they reminded me of Bugno's old team bike - I just came across a photo of him on it, so scanned it in:

bugno-moser.jpg

It's similarish....

Stephen Roche Cork EL OS Build completed

Bike build completed by Rourkes: Ultegra SL and Dura Ace groupset.

Attachments

• P1040886b.JPG
    P1040886b.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 669
  • P1040920b.JPG
    P1040920b.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 669
  • P1040895b.JPG
    P1040895b.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 669
  • P1040898b.JPG
    P1040898b.JPG