Rare '96 Fondriest with full Campag Chorus

jackg

Retro Newbie
I have to let my treasured Fondriest go due to a spinal injury - which means I can't ride for too long anymore - and want it to go to a new, appreciative owner.

Some provenance on the bike: Frame bought from Geoffrey Butler, Croydon in Summer 1995 and personally hand-built myself during the following Winter, ready for the '96 season, with components from Cycles Dauphin, Boxhill.

Fondriest frames of this era were hand-built in Italy and, quite rightly, had a high reputation, as can be seen from the frame-build and finishing. Look at the attention to detail around the headset lugs and bottom bracket. It is absolutely superb.
Matched with the full '96 Campagnolo Chorus groupset - right down to the cables and other quality components throughout - makes this bike unique and a very rare example.
The ride is a dream and matches the looks, with the sort of handling you'd expect from a top-grade Italian steel bike. The power, when you need it to go down, goes down quickly, smoothly and fast. And, be prepared for controlled, confident descents to be the norm rather than the exception.

Here is the spec' on the bike:

Frame: '96 Fondriest Columbus EL.O.S
Seat Tube: Centre-to-Centre: 54.5cm
Top Tube: Centre-to-Centre: 54.5cm
Wheelbase: Centre-to-centre: 97cm
Groupset: Campagnolo Chorus '96
Chainset Double 52/42
Cranks 170mm
Brakes
Derailleur
Front Changer (Record)
Headset
Bottom Bracket
Seat Pillar
Hubs
Rear Sprocket x 8 speed (21/19/17/15/13/12/11/10)
Seat Bolt
Wheels
Rims: Mavic Open S.U.P CD
Front: 32 Stainless spoke on Campag Chorus SF Hub
Rear: 32 Stainless spoke on Campag Chorus SF Hub
Tyres: Continental Grand Prix 4 Season
Stem: Cinelli Grammo Titanium 120mm
Bars: Cinelli Top Ergo 64 with Cinelli Cork tape
Saddle: Flite Titanium
Bottle Cages: Flite Tubular
Chain: Sachs Gold
Condition is immaculate, and belies its age, but there are a few items to point out; there is a light scuff on the top-tube; a small loss on the Fondriest name transfer on the down-tube; and again some small paint loss around seat-tube. That's it.

The bike has never been raced and has been lovingly serviced year-in, year-out during it's lifetime with annual post-season service and pre-season inspections. Everything is original (except tyres, tubes, chain and bar tape) and in excellent condition.

It's up for grab on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Fondriest-fu ... 27b3bd3e62

It's on Youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO4VAhGde1A

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back