Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Here's a report from a little ride a few of us did today.

Having told the others to meet at the Amsterdam pub at 10am, I was a bit miffed when I got there - a few minutes late! :oops: - to find no-one waiting.
After a few minutes, I realised I was outside the Red Lion pub, on the opposite side of the roundabout! :facepalm:
Lo and behold, there they were, waiting for me! :roll:

IMG_1688 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

From the left, Gerard with his AMP Research full sus shiny machine, Keep it steel with a ti bike :? and Tim75 also with a recently revived ti bike!

IMG_1689 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1690 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

So off we went, up past Lancing College, a long draggy climb to warm us up, in sunny but chilly conditions.

IMG_1691 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

It has to be said, trail conditions were a bit sketchy, lots of puddles and very slippery, mainly owing to yesterday's rain.

Stopping to pay our respects at 11am.

IMG_1692 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Then onwards and downwards we continued, towards Cissbury Ring.

IMG_1694 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I don't think Gerard was feeling sick at this point, :LOL:

IMG_1695 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Someone :roll: thought it would be a good idea to stray off the main track, and take in a bit of a loop to make it more interesting. :oops: :facepalm:

So we had a nice walk,

IMG_1697 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Isn't it great that you can use your chain as a mud clearing device!

IMG_1699 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Before a nice wheel wash, :shock: I still don't know how you kept that bike on 2 wheels, Gerard! Cunningly hiding the terror in his eyes behind Jamie! :LOL:

IMG_1700 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Swiftly followed by Tim, with his annoyingly grippy Cheng Shin tyres! :evil: Honestly, I don't know how you did it!

IMG_1701 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Stopping at the top, to catch our breath. A couple of us walked up to here, tyres not gripping at all. And walking was not much better!

IMG_1702 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Onto what should have been a lovely bit of singletrack, turned instead into a mudfest, with a crosswind pushing us all into the hill on our right! I've never known it so tricky up here!

IMG_1704 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Having got through that, we continued north - still headwind and trying to avoid the biggest puddles :facepalm: - towards Chanctonbury Ring. Where we took in the view.

IMG_1706 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Along the ridge for a mile or so, before turning off the South Downs Way, north again, to this lovely bit of bridleway, where I took the only video worth bothering with as it turned out! :facepalm:

https://youtu.be/gBEzHOrHZDM

Then along the bottom of Chanctonbury, alongside the A24, we had just one more long climb to go, and heading towards a late lunch, we were all motivated to get up it. The wind more favourable now, crosswind! So slightly less cold! :roll:
Along the top of the SDW now, with wind behind us, and the Sun warming us up, there was just a nice bit of singletrack to go, before dropping into Steyning for the cafe stop. I'm pleased it was sheltered and warm outside, or I might have faced a mutiny, having forgotten to reserve a table. :facepalm: Owing to the state of us, it may have been a bit embarassing to go in anyway!

Top of Steyning before the drop down to CAKE!

IMG_1708 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

A few more bike photos for you.

IMG_1709 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1711 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1712 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Fuelled up, we bid Jamie farewell, as he lives close to the cafe and continued the last, nice, flat, mud-free few miles along the Downs Link, to where we started

IMG_1713 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Before bidding farewell to Gerard and Tim, and carrying on my ride home. Only a few miles more.

End of ride bike photo.

IMG_1714 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Naturally, I washed the bike before I headed for the shower! :LOL:

IMG_1715 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Thanks to all of you for turning up! Sorry it was a bit of a slippery slog around my playground, hope to do better in the Spring!

Mike

Re:

Bloody hell them conditions would have been called "drought conditions" up here in Jockland ;)

Good write up BTW :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

RobMac":fun1e2b7 said:
Bloody hell them conditions would have been called "drought conditions" up here in Jockland ;)

Good write up BTW :mrgreen:

:LOL: :LOL:

You're not exactly encouraging anyone to ride up there, are you mate! :LOL: :LOL:

Great job Mike. I'll sort my photos out. Thanks for a great day out chaps and sorry for slowing things up on them there hills.
Learnt a few things today.....wet, washed, chalk makes ice seem positively grippy!!!

Re:

You're welcome Gerard, good to see you mate!

Almost forgot, by some strange coincidence, we were all running Race Face cranks! Spooky!

:cool: Looks a fun and challenging day.

Never rode on chalk bur have heard off others that it can be a bit slippery :)

Nice write up Mike

Re:

A few more pics.
Despite the cold & wet conditions, I'm always thankful for the great views upon the SDW.

https://
ryqam0P.jpg

cKHNDia.jpg

92fJLmz.jpg

tUOkhya.jpg

Back