Christmas at Swinley! - Saturday 9th December

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'd like to propose a December ride around Swinley/Bracknell forest as it's an area I used to ride fairly frequently - but not since the main riding trails were all redeveloped and designated.
From memory there are some good switchback style trails (Labyrinth/Baby Maker/Seagull and Tanktrap) plus some really good man made berms.
Not a huge amount of climbing required either, so good for most skill/fitness sets.

I probably won't get to recce a route beforehand so we would be reliant on my memory (heaven forbid) - and I'd propose the best place to start would be from opposite the American Golf centre on the A30 and then ride north into the forest. This avoids the pricey and stealy main carpark.

Best dates for me are probably either Sat 9th or 16th - starting at 10am.
Please state interest below and preferred date/s and we can try and firm up over the next week or so.

*EDIT* Now confirmed as 9th December, 10am start.

Re:

Hi Jamie, I would be interested in a trip over there, depending on any pressing commitments that may pop up!! Either date will be ok with me at the moment ;)

Mick

Re: Christmas at Swinley!

Great!
I knew the layout fairly well up to around 5 years ago - but I've heard that the trails are now better maintained and marked so it should be a good ride.
Maybe worth a car share on the day if it ends up as a twosome?..

Damn I was going to try and organise this, you beat me to it! You won't need to recce a route as there's only one waymarked trail now so you just follow the signs but it's still good. I'm definitely up for it, 16th is best for me.

A lot of fun stuff off piste though, around Crowthorne Woods etc. As well a being more retro suited, it's also nice and quiet. The new trails can get pretty busy.
Quite a few of the old Swinley trails are also still rideable, often running parallel to the new stuff. Easy enough to tie it all together, just detour at the end of what used to be Watsons Wander (don't know the new trail numbers) at Pip's Seat and there's some fun stuff to the Bomb hole and back to the beginning of what was called Seagull. Then back up the new stuff.
I've got some nasty medical shit going on at the moment, and can't even eat let alone ride, but if I'm any better by then would love to come and happy to lead (probably quite slowly...) the unmarked stuff.
I'll keep an eye on the thread and play it by ear.

Re:

Sorry changed my mind, think the 9th will be better!

Hope you get well soon Fagin, be good to see you out riding again.

Re:

9th would probably be best for me as well..... Looking after the grandson on the 12 so Mrs G going to need all the help she can get!! lol ;)

Mick

Ok so 9th is earmarked for now.
Hope you have a speedy recovery Fagin. Would be great if you're able to join us.

Re:

Saturday the 9th is good for me too.

Don't know how I missed this thread! :facepalm:

Mike

KeepItSteel":2zeijpwv said:
Ok so 9th is earmarked for now.
Hope you have a speedy recovery Fagin. Would be great if you're able to join us.

We'll see. Not looking good though. Currently part way through chemo, haven't actually eaten any solid food for a month or so, and hardly have the energy to type, let alone ride.

But never say never....

Back