Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd share with you yesterday's ride.

Having heard about this race from Andyz, we - me and Splatter Paint - entered it as a pair. Somehow between us, we did so without our third man. :facepalm: Communication breakdown. :facepalm:

So sorry, Andrew, I really don't know what went wrong! :oops:

After just over an hour's drive, I got to Bedebury Forest Arboretum, to be greeted by someone at the entrance telling me it's £12 parking, all day! :shock: Hmmmm, hadn't reckoned on that. Went around the car park and back out onto the A21, to park in a layby. As it turned out, I ws probably closer to where the race was being held, than those that had parked in the car park! :LOL:
Wore all I could, packing all I needed in my backpack, I set off for where we set up.
Very basic and low key event, two portaloos and a couple of huts .Glad it stayed dry!
Base camp

IMG_0596 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

SP, ready for the off, on his lovely light Kona,

IMG_0585 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

SP and I were a bit surprised at the low turn out, the start

IMG_0587 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

And they're off!

IMG_0589 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Team mate here in 4th place, third by the end of the lap! :cool:

Figuring it was around 3.7km per lap, we decided on three lap stints, so we'd have a decent break in between stints.
My first set was on the 29er Fisher,

IMG_0584 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

But being a very twisty, and narrowed by the trees course, I felt it was a bit cumbersome getting it around. So after my first set of three, I rode FAST! back to the car, got the Sun out, changed kit, swapped number, and had a gulp of drink at base camp, before it was my turn again.

SP was going well,

IMG_0592 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Annoyingly, as I didn't get much rest! :LOL: :LOL: Only joking mate ;)

After four hours, Mike informed me that we had a 5 min lead. Shortly after which, I slid off right in front of him! :roll: :oops: :facepalm: Front wheel lost grip. :roll:

No damage, only pride, and I don't think I lost more than a few seconds.

Onwards we went, holding the gap ,

IMG_0594 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Worryingly though, we were starting to lose the daylight, in the density of the trees. Really hard to see the line through them by the end.
But finished we did, in first place, for which we got a medal and stood on the podium, feeling a bit chuffed! :cool:
Other than a rigid Kona, the bikes I saw were all modern.

As for the course, it was nice and technical, you couldn't take your eye off the ball, tight corners, narrow, roots, flatish and only one section where you could take a drink.

Old bikes, resting after the race. See what I mean about the light? Or lack of! :LOL:

WP_20160917_18_10_23_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

The happy couple,

WP_20160917_18_11_58_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Psssst, see that guy on the right, he's bloody quick!

Drove home in the rain, celebrated with some chips along the way!

Mike

Re:

Will be interesting to see lap times between my 29er and the Sunn

I'll have a look later

Mike

Re:

Top work gents. Really interested in this for next year, I had a clash with a local 10k run event so couldn't make it this time.

How busy was the course? Was it as quiet as it looked at the start?

Re: Re:

al-onestare":jhs2rxzo said:
Top work gents. Really interested in this for next year, I had a clash with a local 10k run event so couldn't make it this time.

How busy was the course? Was it as quiet as it looked at the start?

It was busy, as we were lapping other riders! More than once for some, short course partly resulted in this.

andyz":jhs2rxzo said:
You wouldn't have won if I'd been on the team! :LOL:
Any podium pics?

I believe Mike, Splatter Paint got some photos. Hopefully not of me falling off right in front of him though! Podium one too, I believe

Re:

Nice one guy's :) wondered what you were upto over the weekend Mike ;) hope to catch up soon chaps :)

Mick

Re: Re:

godders":j90b2rhk said:
Nice one guy's :) wondered what you were upto over the weekend Mike ;) hope to catch up soon chaps :)

Mick

Cheers Mick,

Drove home from Wales on Friday, unloaded car, loaded back up with race stuff, and was racing the next day!
Sunday, definitely a day of rest! :roll:

Back