Audax event 20th July - Steyning 100km or 200km

could be interested in the 100k as a little birthday ride...

I'd be ok on the tennis racquet, wouldn't i?

do you know if theres a map of the route anywhere?

BobCatMax":38xe7vsi said:
could be interested in the 100k as a little birthday ride...

I'd be ok on the tennis racquet, wouldn't i?

do you know if theres a map of the route anywhere?

Don't see why you wouldn't be fine on that? Probably a few hills to negotiate but presume you have some reasonable gears. Route is only available if you enter, the Audax site sometimes shows them but they don't seem to zoom or anything. They also seem to vary by event, some offer GPX info, others not, I guess its down to the organisers and what they have to hand.

I've not done one before so would be interested.

Re:

OK, so a quick write-up (honest) from the event today, for those that might be interested in Audax, how it works etc.

Me and BobcatMax (and others) turned up for the 8:30 start. We were presented with Tea, Coffee, cakes, banana's etc (basically 'fill your boots' amounts). We were given our Brevet card and the route notes, which basically explain distance, and what to do at that point. e.g: '2kM, turn right onto B2133' etc. Max had very kindly put this into GPX form and therefore we had GPS route and also the map / paper backup - the paper was useful as the garmin can get a little fuddled by waypoints and newer roads (in other words, we got slightly lost).

Audax events are based on an average speed. In our case, we needed to run between 15-30kph including any stops or mechanicals. The mid point control would open at 10:18 and close at 12:06, if we missed it, we wouldn't get our Brevet cards stamped and wouldn't complete the event - same for the return run.

As we were newb's, we had chosen the 100km route with about 4000ft climbing, while others were setting off for the 200km route and just over 6000ft of climbs. We met with a nice chap named Harry who was also doing his first event, so we arranged to get lost together. The outbound leg was relatively uneventful, we did keep to the route and followed the cue sheets almost to the first stop.

Our first mistake was to take on Glenlea lane near Haslemere, approaching the lane on a 8-9% climb, the road turns left and cranks up to about 20-25% pretty quickly. Now out of the saddle and with another rider in sight, I was swearing at the GPS for its constant beeping, only to later realise it was telling me to turn off this climb. No matter, me n' Bob were going to nail this b*****d if it killed us (despite our companion shouting at us to turn off). Rounding towards the top of the climb, the road steepened yet again for a few metres to an indicated 33%. Try it if you get a chance, it won't disappoint. After figuring our mistake, we re-traced our steps and carried on. As we reached the Devils punchbowl at around 930ft above sea level, we figured that as the control point was close, the return leg would be more of a descent and contented ourselves with our progress, within 3km to the checkpoint, things were looking up.

Or, down. 2-3km later, when we reached the checkpoint, at an altitude of about 380ft above sea level, we were rather disturbed to see riders we'd met already coming the other way. Had we missed the checkpoint? Of course not, that 550ft climb back to the Devils punchbowl was going to be the 1st thing on the list after lunch.

Lunch, was, rather good. We stopped, got our cards stamped at the control, then were offered a good buffet of sandwiches, cakes, fruit, veg and tea. And cake. And tea. Again. Smugly full, we then remembered the hill and set at it with creaking legs. This was the last 'big' climb of the day, so not too bad. We then had a few route problems which were minor, but we corrected them and got back on course enjoying the fact the sun was now out. We even steeled ourselves to a pub on the way back for some cold drinks,

The finish point was back in steyning and sure enough there was more tea and cake and other things to eat. Having our cards stamped and completed within the time allocation, we had completed the event. We sat and chatted to a number of other riders, all in all, very civilised and a great event.

Things we learnt:

Mudguards - there really wasn't a lot of mudguards, pannier racks or anything more than small saddle tool pouches in use, perhaps the odd bar bag (I guess this changes a bit on the longer events however, plus some events are mudguards mandatory). Audax riders seem to run things relatively light.

Riders - good mix of age and gender, but overall, they were fit, quick and good on the hills.

Time limits - This is a good thing - the limits are not too difficult, would allow for a stop or a mechanical, but ultimately you can't really dawdle.

Entry fees - these do vary but at £5 for entry AND tea and food all day, it was really good value considering what some organised events can cost.

Maps - these work well when GPS's are sulking, plus with a bit of forethought (and plastic bags), they won't fail in the rain.

Great event, more available here: http://www.aukweb.net/home/

:D

Back