Urban RetroBike #4 - 16th November 2013

PurleySquire

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Yes, old faithful will be back for November for anyone that wants to have another spin or missed it earlier in the year.
A long, but easy ride that takes in; the suburbs of the South of London, some of the grittier bits of the East End and all the way through to the glitziest addresses in the whole of the UK.

Variety is the key to the route; lots of parkland, a disused railway line, a plague pit, canals and narrow boats, a not so secret foot tunnel under the Thames, a ride up The Mall to Buckingham Palace, one of the biggest hills and best view points of the capital and a whole lot more besides.

Due to the urban nature of the ride it is ideally suited to riding in any conditions and we have certainly done that in the past; snow, rain, ice and wind have all played their part. It is quite a long ride, about 40 miles all in, but for the most part is flat, so suits riders of all ability levels. The official starting point is East Croydon train station, very handy for the South Coasters, but often we pick up a few extra riders en route, the Cutty Sark at Greenwich being a popular choice.

It is suited to heavier hybrid bikes and lighter mountain bikes, 26" x 1.75 or 700c x 35 road/slick tyres and hard tail or rigid frames. Punctures are often an issue, so make sure to pack a spare inner tube, Schwalbe Marathon, Gator Skin or similar kevlar reinforced tyres are recommended.

Still a long way off, but we should build this into the ride too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23041236

ay112900203visitors-are-see.jpg

I'd love to come down for this, sounds like a really cool kind of ride and just the sort of thing I love ... but £80 for the cheapest train I can find is just killer. I'll keep searching for offers though, just in case ;)

elPedro666":37d6wflg said:
I'd love to come down for this, sounds like a really cool kind of ride and just the sort of thing I love ... but £80 for the cheapest train I can find is just killer. I'll keep searching for offers though, just in case ;)

I'd love to see your Orbit, there'd be 2 of them on this ride if you did make it! :D

elPedro666":3obeiu0z said:

I have an ex Londoner mate, who does Stockport to London for meetings on a regular basis, he has discovered "anomalies" in the system, sometimes he gets a first class single in one direction for less than the equivalent part of a return. His logic is that First class comes with perks like food, drink and wifi that you would have to spend something on anyway. I've asked if he can share some more knowledge.

If you need accommodation and don't mind a bit of roughing it, I can provide an overnight stop given a bit of notice (to clear the bed of junk). If you like ethnic food you are well served in Croydon.

UPDATE #1

Message from Mat my train travelling buddy:
£80 return sounds about right ... but try http://www.thetrainline.com ... and don't forget to book the bike as well, they insist on that these days. It's free, but they need to plan for it.

UPDATE #2

Try here http://www.farefinder.virgintrains.co.uk/ Manchester to Euston from £12.50 each way, if you don't mind a 4am departure or arriving back at midnight. :D

Thanks Squire, that's brilliant stuff! Twenty five quid is definitely more like it and if it's okay to crash somewhere Saturday night, my better half may well be up for a daytrip on Sunday too...

I'll have a chat soon as she's home (about ten minutes!) ;)

elPedro666 - If you get clearance, do book early, I can't see those deals lasting for that much longer. I think one of the trains gets in to Euston at midnight, which is about 1 hour and 20 minutes from Purley by bike. It could be a late one.
And for anyone else - attendance for a lot of these rides has been steadily falling, if this trend continues this may well be the last UrbanRetro ride. You have been warned.

Back