A little expedition - w/end of 6/7 July

PurleySquire

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I am planning to do a bit of a "reccy" for a future Urban Retro ride later in the year. The weekends I would like to go out are either 29/30 June or 6/7 July.
The starting point will be The Cutty Sark at Greenwich, it should be up to 40 miles on a very flat route from there on. As this will be a trail breaking route, it is unlikely to be a quick ride and if we find dead ends, there may be some doubling back required. However it will not be a ball breaker and there will be options to bail out onto public transport if you don't want to do the whole thing.
Ideally I would have just one or two other riders with me in order to garner their feedback on the viability and entertainment value of the route.
Like the other Urban Retro rides it will be a mix of road/cycle path/trails.

Is anyone here up for it?

Re: A little expedition

Bugger - would be up with this but both weekends are full already. Good luck - looking forward to the report!

Would love to join you mate ...but with only two days at home a week im afriad
theres just to much getting in the way :(
will try and join you for a spin round the city before it gets as cold as the first one ;)
Mick :cool:

What gives?

Here is the edited summary of my ride, if you want to read the full article, including my candidate for the "Worst Pub in the World" you will find it here http://www.skibike.me.uk/2013/07/urban- ... hames.html

I had an idea that it would be possible to find a suitable route from Greenwich, crossing to the North side of the River Thames, then heading East and following the river bank all the way out to Thurrock in Essex. I would then cross the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge, using the free "bike taxi" service and returning to Greenwich along the Thames Path.

I don't think that I would follow this route again, especially in the company of other bikers. Trying to follow the river Thames along the northern side is pretty much an impossible task.

Firstly, there are a number of minor tributaries that you have to cross, each one involves an energy sapping deviation to find a crossing point further "inland".
Secondly, there are too many industrial areas closed off behind giant fences dogs and angry guards.
And lastly, a new cross rail route is under construction, which, in addition to the current railway lines, high speed rail links and trunk roads all serve to carve the area up into one giant soulless transport corridor.
As a result of the above factors you are forced to ride alongside busy roads for the best part of the route, with no respite till Rainham.

I had a few stops along the way, but the loop starting from Greenwich took the best part of 7 hours.

But, I will definitely run an Urban Retro Bike ride along the Thames Path from Greenwich to Dartford and back in the near future. Perhaps with a trip over/under the river to the North side for a quick excursion into Rainham Marshes Nature Reserve.

Dartford+49.JPG

How about a southeastern jaunt past Westerham to the likes of Toys Hill and Ide Hill? Magical places in the mist as I recall, or further into the Weald? Nice :D

Mr Panda":2dx2a4mv said:
How about a southeastern jaunt past Westerham to the likes of Toys Hill and Ide Hill? Magical places in the mist as I recall, or further into the Weald? Nice :D
Like the sound of that.

Back