The bi-annual time shift Arundel loop - AFTERMATH

what a day.

the weather gods smiled upon us, the forest daemons treated us to some delightful singletrack, and the mechanical gremlins only managed to kill one of us off.

The was my first proper ride out in ages, and wow am I feeling it.

got some great snaps, will post up later on with a proper report

thanks gents, to all who managed to make it, I hope it was a good ride for you too.

The day started a little bleary eyed with the cat reminding me that the clocks went forward at 5am.

The zoo duly fed and watered, I got my self together, bike checked again (it hadn't got any more retro since the last one) and porridge eaten I was ready to ride out.

A quick little bimble into Angmering Village square to wait for Klein-Mad-Chris

TheStart_zps62ebd02c.jpg

I'd barely had time to take the shot before I heard that familiar drone of knobblies on tarmac. Pleasantries exchanged and remarks about what the strange shiny yellow object in the sky was and we were off.

We were early, first time for everything I suppose, and with the train still more than 15 minutes away we took bets on who would and who wouldn't show..

KleinMadChris_zpsdf94ac08.jpg

Adam arrived first, with tales of crazy offroad riding all the way from Surrey the day before

Adam_zps182edc1a.jpg

Mick arrived next in the Works van and soon set about getting ready to fettle

Mick_zps6c7625e5.jpg

with still many minutes to spare the small group soon devolved to type...Fettle!

fettle_zps8ec613b4.jpg

Time soon passed fixing cantis, fiddling with video cameras, discussing the possible sock purchasing opportunities but we were a man down. Warpedboy2 was a no show and on his last ride before moving out west! phonecalls were made, but to no avail. perhaps we'd see him at the Café?

Taking it for the team were myself, Klein-Mad-Chris, Adam, Godders, thesneaker, kampos, twain and Augustus. TheGreenRabbit arrived to give us the team talk, rosstheboss was still as yet unconfirmed and warpedboy2 was still sans comms.

we were ready to roll

readytoroll_zps2d8a2b4e.jpg

The ride progressed as they usually do..banter, bikes, more banter and the occasional mechanical. By the time we were up past the fisheries and beginning to really enjoy the fantastic weather it was starting to become obvious that we'd picked up a gremlin. Adam's single rear sprocket was losing teeth, or so we thought. As we ground up to the 4th climb of the day kampos decided that he was going to call it a day, Adams' cog finally went. we counted the teeth, but they were all still there!? The pawl had gone. freewheel borked, he decided to head back with kampos.

2 men down we pushed on, a loop within the loop was tested and not found to be wanting. in fact, this may become a permanent addition. News of twain's new family member still in the negative we spun back up and headed towards the café and racing chips.

TailEndCharlie_zps8633bc5a.jpg

I had pushed myself last year, but at a cost. Bad knees got worse and this had led to serious time off the bike. It was beginning to show. My concentration was starting to wane and sure enough some wet chalk had my name written on it. and then a slight imprint of my face, shoulder and helmet. Augustus and I peeled of at the bottom of the hill leaving the more able bodied to check out the rumours of forestry commision work in my playground. Hopefully K-M-C can stick up a picture, but it was devastating, the south end of Whiteways was a mess.

We arrived at the café, and I swiftly devoured my racing sausage (not a euphamism, it really was just a sausage in a bun)

Everyonelovesahotsausage_zpsb530a2ff.jpg

racing chips and racing pasty dispatched swiftly interspersed with yet more bike banter. The motor bike crowds were out in full force, and we met a rasta with the swagger

Augustus decided to call it a day as he had a fair cycle home, so it was time to hit Whiteways North and see how bad the rest of it had been affected. Parts were ok, parts were cleared and parts were just abysmal

TreeAbuse_zpsb9227304.jpg

luckily some of the routes were still ridable thanks to the dilligence of some good souls. we ran our new top run, but by the time we got to the end, I was done. With the rest of the loop to do and the spin back, I wasn't sure I could play anymore in Whiteways. Twain and thesneaker very graciously conceeded and we set off back to the café, and into Amberley

Whiteways_zps74350026.jpg

A close call with an Eastern Bloc van driver and his trailer nearly taking out twain, we pushed on through Amberley and on to the final part of the ride - the styles, the bridges, my forgotten hills and the flat land spin past the Black Rabbit.

K-M-C had apparently donned his "make me invisible" onesie at some point after the last bridge and shit magneted all the bad drivers through Arundel, so we were glad to get to the station. Hands shaken, promises made, goodbyes exclaimed and we'd lost Godders and twain.

The three of us spun back along the A27 to Angmering where we said goodbye to thesneaker and on into the village.

a slightly lengthy pitstop to collect the other half and it was journey's end

EndGame_zps8e499592.jpg

27 miles plus change, 5 hours plus some more change and I was done. A hot shower, lovely Lamb dinner and hammerpot beer was calling my name..

a great day out, and to coin a certain persons phrase...best ride of my life ;)

Great write up Max :D it was good to see you and the others again after what has seemed ages !!
i thought i was going to realy suffer yesterday but the miles ive been getting in while i have been working away
have kept the fitness up just enough to make it another enjoyable day out with the RetroBike crew :cool:
It was a great shame Marcus couldnt make it in the end as thats the last ride i could probably make before the end of the month :(
As for the ride ..... bloody great to get out in the sussex countyside again after a couple of months !!
The first climb out of the fish farm has become very overgrown with a fallen tree on it as well that made
it mostly a walk (for me anyway :oops: ) but that was nothing compaired to the mess that faced us when we made it to the
south end of whiteways, Max and Gus took to the road up to the cafe and the rest of us headed for the woods only to have to turn back due to the trail being totaly trashed by the logging works :cry:
luckily the north side seems to have faired better :D plus as Max said some good soul had taken the trouble to clear
most of the trash from the trail :D
It will be interesting to see how the rest of the wood have faired :shock:
So all in all another great day, thanks guys :D looking foward to the next one !

ps GoPro footage in on my sons I mac (that i dont have access to :roll: ) so i will have to wait till he is around before i can up load the clips.

Mick :D

great stuff Max - and a massive thanks to Godders for the lift home :)

i'm totally ruined today. fever and some sort of chest infection, so the Mrs wasn't too happy with my condition apres trails! :oops:

aside from that, a memorable day and great company :)
all the best lads -
a snotty and red faced Twain.....

BobCatMax":34jmx0r8 said:
haha, have you seen the footage? is it any good? or just "undercarriage" shots :LOL:

:LOL: nothing to graphic ;)
havent had time to go through it all yet but for a first attempt i dont think its to bad !
the only bit i didnt get was the run down to Amberly, so we will have to do that one again sometime ;)

Mick :)

Really sad I missed this, sorry again....

It's all a bit mental trying to fit everyone in before we go, something had to give unfortunatly. We're not going until the 22nd at the earliest, so may get to see you yet.

I am glad the cock comment has been removed though.....

Back