XC routes between RH1 and KT20 - help needed

westdigital

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi,

I recently started a new job 40 miles from where I live. I used to cycle to my old job and good times were had between my house and place of work. I now get the train from Brighton to Kingswood everyday. This is a nightmare as the trains are abysmal.

My plan is to get off at Redhill and cycle the rest of the way. This would be approximately 7 miles by the roads, but I want to pack in as much XC, meaning single track, fire road, bridle way or anything off road, as possible.

I can see from the maps that there are loads of woods once I’ve crossed the M25, I just can’t see any XC routes through them recorded in Strava or Garmin Connect.

If any of these are familiar to you, you might be able to assist me.

Dell Wood
Upper Gatton Wood
Tickners Wood
Eyhurst Park

I have linked here a Gmaps version of the route, if taken by road, which I’d prefer to avoid if at all possible.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5803501

If anyone has recorded a ride that goes XC through these areas can you send me a link so I can try and follow it?

Cheers

Ben

I would try:
From Redhill station head towards Reigate.
Turn right up to Wray common at the traffic lights, you can take several roads on the right before this to end
up on wray common. Shortest route is probably though[look at a map] Batts Hill.
Turn left off Wray common in to Wray lane[nice steep road] which takes you to the motorway roundabout on
Reigate Hill. I just stuck from:redhill station to:kingswood station into google and it takes you up wray lane
so you could take a look at that.

Cross the roundabout and go straight up the A217 to get where you want to go.
Or: at the top of Wray lane is a car park, go into that and over the footbridge, keep on the track
and you can get onto Walton Heath, you can get all the way to the roundabout at Kingswood on footpaths,
I use my sense of direction;-) Coming back you can continue on the footpath thru the car park and it goes
downhill into Merstham. or straight down Colley hill onto the Reigate road.

There is a full ordnance survey map on the surrey council website, it's on the link labeled interactive map .

I picked up a couple of maps by "Oaktree Routes Off-Road Maps" from my LBS. I haven't had a chance to see how good these maps area but there is a Reigate map that covers the area you need. They are only £2.50 each in A5 size & laminated. I can PM you contact details, there appears to be no website!

Back