Brighton Cruise (Tour de cake) Sunday 20 or 21st October

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenRabbit

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Same format as previous years, more details to follow.

Weather will decide the day, and we will change the weekend if its raining.

Riders
TheGreenRabbit
BobCatMax
Warpedboy2
godders
thesneeker

The time I did this we rode for 15mins on the flat road to Shoreham Harbour, then stopped at Carat's for an hour, too much of which was queuing and waiting for food. To be honest, that isn't my idea of a bike ride, and Carat's is way over-rated anyway. I could maybe join up with you on the way back though.

The other thing is when I do this, I find 20 miles of nothing but seafront is boring. It's a much better run if you head inland from the Marina, cross country to Ovingdean, more cross country to Rottingdean, then head north to Balsdean, up to Telscombe Tye, cut back down to Saltdean Lido and along the undercliff to the very good cake stop west of Rottingdean. That's more like a proper bike ride.

Anthony, last year there were quite a few road bikes in attendance, an old 1950s "gents" bike, and a tandem. I think they might have struggled with the route you are suggesting.

We can always do an off road loop after the cake stop at Ovingdene. I have suggested this earlier this year, and would be happy to lead.

To me, this ride is more of a social thing, with lots of ooh-ing and ahh-ing over shiny bikes and parts.

If you want a proper ride, a few of us are riding to Eastborne on Saturday along the SDW, then getting the train back.

I agree with what Marcus said, Anthony. This is much more of a "Show and tell" than a bike ride :LOL:

warpedboy2":3jdk6rs7 said:
If you want a proper ride, a few of us are riding to Eastborne on Saturday along the SDW, then getting the train back.
Huh, that's cissy stuff, coming back on the train, you're getting old mate. My pal and I did from Hove to Beachy Head and back via SDW a couple of weeks ago. That was 55 miles with 1,600m of climbing so he says. I have to say I was quite tired the last few miles though, and it was perhaps a bit too far for you youngsters.

I thought I had missed it

Wow I thought I had missed out on this event, as last year it was around August Bank Holiday, no? A gentle ride in the company of fine ladies and gents, plus cake too. What's not to like? In the diary. :D

Can I suggest a start at Carrots instead of an early cake stop? That way, If people want coffee/cake they can get there a bit early & ditto on the way home

I agree with Anthony, that it's busy and a bit rubbish...thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back