Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Brighton - Eastbourne SDW End of september.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=216600

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 am ]
Post subject:  Brighton - Eastbourne SDW End of september.

Soooo, i'm turning 40 next month (Yes, I know, I dont look a day over 30), and in way of celebration (and proving to myself i'm not past it yet, sonny), i'm inviting you all to join me on a ride from Brighton to Eastbourne along the SDW.

Weekend of the 29th/30th. Either day for me, so whatever suits you guys.

The ride itself will start at Devils Dyke and head eastward along the SDW, it will be around 30 miles with typical South Downs Climbs, with a tea and cake stop at Alfriston. Upon arrival at Eastbourne I propose a tinny or two on the beach, and then get the train back to Brighton.

Fancy it, then?

Author:  godders [ Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

As im just a bit older than you :wink: i had better come along just to prove i can still keep up with the youngsters ........ as long as im not on second holidays that is 8)
Mick :)

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

godders wrote:
........ as long as im not on second holidays that is 8)

More flipping holidays than the queen! :lol:

Did a reccy ride today, was hard going in places (although I did have a few beers over the weekend :oops: ), but nothing too taxing. Awesome views too, and got talking to a fella on the train with a nice Roberts tourer. A good day.

Author:  godders [ Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sound like you had a good day 8) ...looking foward to this if im not away
:oops: did a couple of laps round stanmer last night .....its just SOOOO good when its dry :D

Author:  grd [ Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not ridden over that way for ages.

All being well I will be in the States that weekend at the Fat Chance reunion but if for whatever reason the wheels fall of that then I will come along

Author:  PurleySquire [ Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Interested

Sounds interesting, I would be up for this, I hope it doesn't fizzle out the way the last SDW ride did. :roll:

Author:  grd [ Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just got my flights sorted to the states so won't be coming guys. Have fun

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:07 am ]
Post subject: 

Righto Chaps,

I'm thinking the saturday for this as the trains will be more frequent/less chance of engineering work etc.

Are you two still up for it? I think Danno will be coming along too :D

If anybody fancies it, but doesn't think they can do the whole distance, there are plenty of chances to bail, as the SDW follows the railway all the way to eastbourne.

Author:  godders [ Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well it looks like we wont be going away again this year so i will be around for that weekend ... so i may as well come along with you lot :roll: :wink:

ps. do we have to bring a card and prezzies as its a birthday ride :wink:

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

godders wrote:

ps. do we have to bring a card and prezzies as its a birthday ride :wink:

No card and pressies required, however, if we are not p1ssed by the time we reach ditchling beacon, then its not a birthday ride....

Author:  Danno [ Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yep I'm going to try my best to keep u with you....

Author:  PurleySquire [ Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:51 am ]
Post subject:  Still up for this

I'm still good. I was doing 40 miles a day (on the flat) throughout most of August, so I'll aim to do a few runs between now and then and not totaly loose my mojo.
I've not ridden the SDW, but would it be correct to assume that it is a ride best suited to fat tyres?

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Still up for this

PurleySquire wrote:
I'm still good. I was doing 40 miles a day (on the flat) throughout most of August, so I'll aim to do a few runs between now and then and not totaly loose my mojo.
I've not ridden the SDW, but would it be correct to assume that it is a ride best suited to fat tyres?

Fat tires are a must, although you should be fine down to 1.9s. While it is not Lake District bumpy, it does have it's moments.

Author:  PurleySquire [ Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Tired out

Sorted then 26" x 2.0 it will be, thanks. I'll PM across my mobile number.

Author:  PurleySquire [ Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Meeting location?

Meeting at the Devil's Dyke car park 2 miles north of A27 Brighton ring road, and just off A281 as shown at http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/devils-dyke/how-to-get-here/

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:28 am ]
Post subject: 

Thats the one :)

Are you driving down or taking the train?

I can meet you at Brighton station if needed.

Author:  PurleySquire [ Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Car or Train

I think I'll bring the car, it should be marginally quicker and a bit more flexible. I've heard some horror stories about Southern Railway and bikes too.

Edit: I hope the weather is a bit more clement next weekend! It must be blowing a gale down on the coast.

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Righto here is the plan-

Meet at devils Dyke at 9:45 for a 10:00 rideout.

Godders, we'll meet you at Clayton round 10:30.

Weather looking good, however it will be a tad slippy :? I reckon it will take between 4-5 hours to get to eastbourne, so bring water etc. although we'll have a stop in Alfriston for a spot of lunch.

Any problems, give me a call 8)

Author:  Danno [ Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:56 am ]
Post subject: 

Might take a bit longer with me on tow!!!!! :oops:

Author:  twain [ Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:12 am ]
Post subject: 

have fun chaps - another ride i'll be missing out on! :( (take extra care Marcus will you :P )

Author:  godders [ Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well another great retro day out :D took a while to get there ...but it wasent about the time it took or the miles covered, just a top day out with like minded guys 8) Thanks to Marcus, Danno and mark for a excelent ride, didnt get any picks but Danno took plenty !! oh and thanks to mark for getting the teas and cake :D well done guys, till the next time
Mick :D

Author:  Danno [ Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

They say a picture says a thousand words, so I'll let them do most of the talking...

The day started out really at 5.30pm in London on Friday, when I finished work and proceeded to carb load by consuming 5 pints of Doombar, when I also thought it would be a good idea to load up on ethanol based liquids, in an attempt to emulate motor racing fuel science. This meant the consumption of a Jager bomb and two shots of Tequila.

I awoke at 7.30am on Saturday morning to find that it hadn't had the desired effect! One day my experimentations will work. I will not give up on perfecting the ultimate pre-ride race fuel.

I met up with Purley Squire and WB2 at the Dyke car park and after some pre-ride faffing (by me) we were off. Mission objective, pick up Godders along the way and make it to Eastbourne. The weather was superb and within 5 mins of riding the dregs of last nights alcohol had worn off.

Here we go!!

WB2 with his famous Racing Fag

Just after we’d hooked up with Godders I saw a horse coming and decided to get down low to take a good photo. The respose I received from the grumpy rider was “You could have had me awf my Horse! They’re prey animals don’t you know, and you hiding in the bushes could have made him rear up and throw me awf” to which I thought….oh that would've been a real shame!

Anyway, here are our steeds...

Mine

Godders

Marcus' New De Kerf

Purley's

At Ditchling we encountered our first mechanical of the day. A sheered seat post clamp bolt on PS's bike....hmmm the saddle did look a bit suspect in the picture I took earlier... We had to make a quick detour to Lewes to see if we could pick up a spare, but not before effecting a classic zip tie bodge to prevent PS impaling himself, although we weren't quite sure if he'd enjoy that or not ;)

Not long after Marcus got his first puncture of the day

After a long pit stop and faff in the LBS in Lewes we headed off to eat up Firle Beacon

The winners view from the top

Racing tea and cake stop at Alfriston couldn't come soon enough

Onwards, and seemingly forever upwards…I don’t know why we bother…perhaps it’s something to do with the majesty of the SD National Park

Silence ruled, no one spoke for at least 2 mins and for WP2 that’s an eternity ;)

Many more ups and downs later..

Finally we reached the peak overlooking Eastbourne and the flatlands beyond

Another WB2 puncture break (get some new rubber boy!) and we were finally smelling the fish and chips and beer.

Rude not to really

35 miles, 3,200ft climbed. Burning legs and err one small problem with travelling East all day long

Top days riding :D

A STRAVA of the ride here

Author:  godders [ Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ace picks Danno and great rite up 8) lets hope we get at least a few more days like that in before the winter sets in ... note to self... must remember to take the camara with me more often :roll:
Mick :D

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Brilliant, top write up and pics :)

It really was a perfect day in the hills, even the punctures and broken seat clamp didn't dampen our spirits.

Highlights for me were the weather, getting to the top of the climb out of Alfriston without running out of puff (this was due to the few hundred extra calories in the cream scones, thanks Mark!), the spectacular views afforded by the clear air, and "crossing the finish line" together. Brilliant! Oh, and the fish and chips avec beer. Perfect end to the day, although I did have another dinner when I got home......

But most of all, it was the company that made the day. Nobody grumped at the size of the climbs, or the distance. Good effort fellas, 37 miles and 1000m climbing. No wonder we were hungry lol

Oh, and thanks for the tubes Dan :)

Author:  twain [ Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

loving the pics, looked epic :) well done lads!

Author:  PurleySquire [ Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Thanks for the memories

Thanks too, it was great to be with such strong riders compared to my usual riding companions, it was good to have people to pace myself by. I was usually watching Danno's back on most climbs thinking I'm not going to get off the bike and walk till he does.
It was a novelty to ride on ice slippery chalk and trying to climb up paths made from flint and old bricks.
Thanks for your patience in Lewes, the saddle got fixed/bodged properly today, but I just might splash out on a new seatpost in commemoration of the ride :lol: Luckily the rest of the bike did me proud as I cracked a frame on the last RetroBike ride.
The ride back to the car park at Devil's Dyke car park, with a clear sky and a full moon was spectacular, it's a shame I was too knackered to notice properly.
As discussed, I will propose an "Urban RetroBike" ride through London very soon. It might be a good opportunity to have a day out, whilst significant others do some pre-Christmas retail therapy in town.