SDW 2012 Now with date added! p5

warpedboy2

Retrobike Rider
Right then, anybody up for an epic?!

I am thinking doing it over two days, staying overnight in amberley (the halfway point). Probably midweek to avoid crowds, and to make it easier to find accomadation. Also that allows the start point to be changed (either Winchester or Eastboune) depending on the wind direction.

So, who is up for a PROPER ride/adventure? :cool:

Could be interested - depends on when.

How long is the ride? Can't be worse than the Isle Of Man End2End ;)

Carge":3mvjhg8z said:
Could be interested - depends on when.

How long is the ride? Can't be worse than the Isle Of Man End2End ;)

Its 100 miles in total, Amberley is pretty much dead-centre.

100miles - cool.

May I suggest that if we are looking for accom in Amberley - we get fresh clothes/supplies left there rather than carry it on the ride.

Might have to start planning the Bristol or Bath to Reading on the Kennet&Avon as a warm up :)

I have two interested (myself being one of them), we arranged this a few weeks ago for next year. The other attendee lives in Holland so getting a fix on dates is a bit of challenge due to him having to travel.

We hadn't planned dates as yet, but will see what goes with this as it sounds good. Will dig out my GPS logs for it at some point as well.

2 lines of thought are as follows (from guide books):

> Wind is often westerly, so Winchester to Eastbourne

> Sun rises in the east, so going Eastbourne - Winchester means you aren't getting a face full of sun all day.

Book accomodation early and fingers crossed for the weather!

(edited a few times for sake of clarity)

I added this to the GPS routes thread.

This is an edited version of the South Downs Way. I have removed most of the little 'excursions' where we got a little lost or where we went off route to stay somewhere etc. We also missed approx 2-4 miles of the route due to foul weather or just because we wanted to go elsewhere. Therefore, its not perfect!

Enjoy but use with caution!

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/435716

Back