L'Eroica influenced Surrey Hills Retro ride 30th Oct

Longrider1

Retro Newbie
Diary Date for retro ride Sun Oct 30th. Meet Effingham Junction Station Car Park 10.00am

In order to keep the momentum going following L'Eroica, I suggest a Sunday ride on October 30th (clocks back weekend so an extra hour to get to the start!) I have ridden the route today. Like l'Eroica its very hilly, with lots of ups and downs, and some narrow roads. However its all on tarmac, but will be hilly and pretty, eg Ranmore Common, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Whitedown, etc, on minor roads, some potholes/gravel to beware in places. Route is similar to the CTC Hilly 50km route. Pub lunch stop, maybe in Holmbury St Mary. Around 60km (Effingham to Effingham) but pace will be pace of slowest rider i.e. re-group at tops of climbs.

Meeting point will be car park at Effingham Junction train station, at 10.00am (Train from Waterloo at 9.02 gets there 9.50am).

If anyone wants to ride out to Effingham from Kingston, i will be riding out with Kingston Wheelers to Effingham (9.00am start, Laithwaites Car Park, Portsmouth rd/Brighton rd Junction).

The route is similar to this link, with a few changes...for example, I like to ride all the way up Holmbury Hill, descend through Hurtwood Forest to the Hurtwood Inn, then climb 'Walking Bottom', followed by descent towards Shere, and not as per this chap's route.

http://freespace.virgin.net/graham.hill3/hilly50g.htm

Just need to add the ride from Effingham to where the route meets Ranmore Common.

Sounds interesting

Sounds like fun, but a bit brutal with all those hills, a mate from Croydon is also giving it some thought.
PM me a telephone number and I'll do the same.
Will this go ahead whatever the weather?

Re: Sounds interesting

PurleySquire":5vx90sta said:
Sounds like fun, but a bit brutal with all those hills, a mate from Croydon is also giving it some thought.
PM me a telephone number and I'll do the same.
Will this go ahead whatever the weather?

There are some long descents as well as the climbs. I rode the route without a lunch stop last week, so a lunch stop in Holmbury St Mary will make things easier.

Weather forecast was dry for Sunday last I heard, but I will turn up whatever the weather.

Thanks

Many thanks for a great ride, more hills per hour than any route I've ever followed. I feel far too good, perhaps the aches will wait for tomorrow.
P.S. Upload some pics.

Glad you enjoyed it. I will have to repeat it in the Spring, on a hopefully sunny day where we can appreciate the views from the hilltops.

Pix

Surrey+Hills.JPG

Back