Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

The South East Group - Going Forward
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=161111

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:07 pm ]
Post subject:  The South East Group - Going Forward

This is going off topic. But you raise a fair point, as AEC are you expecting me to arange a ride every month for you ? The work that happens for Retrobike is unpaid, as as such has to be fitted in around everything else. My free time is limated and as such any ride will be in the late Autumn/Winter/Early spring.

For the rest of the year

There is The Brighton Big Dog & Brighton Beach Cruise in August, there will also be a late October Ride and A Ride in December just before Christmas.

Author:  Dr S [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ah, the joys of keeping everyone happy.

Tintin. Ever thought of becoming a Deputy AEC and helping out organizing rides? Spread the load a bit? :roll:

Author:  tintin40 [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

This is very odd i didn't start this thread. Looks like some has been making threads up??

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

I split the thread so the people who wanted to sort out a ride in leith Hill did not get side tracked.

Author:  BobCatMax [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think what's happened Tintin is that Rabbit has split it off from the surrey ride as it's off topic, but still relevant..

not made up, just moved :)

**edit**

Jinx!

Author:  tintin40 [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

So a Mod can make up a thread and give some body else's name. Just because the mod is upset. Oh dear. What a nasty world the web is.

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Lets keep it on topic please, What do you want and what are you willing to help with. (If you wish to complain about a mod trying to keep a thred on topic this please PM me)

Author:  BobCatMax [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

tintin40 wrote:
So a Mod can make up a thread and give some body else's name. Just because the mod is upset. Oh dear. What a nasty world the web is.

I think that's being a little bit melodramatic tintin

I agree with you about the South East group in general, I think we are badly represented, and I don't think that's any fault of TGR.

South East is a large area, densely populated, with not a great deal of activity in the sub forum.

As I see it, all TGR is trying to do is to help, and ask for your help...

Author:  makster [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

It's not just the SE region that struggles with rides, the SW does too.
This was a big reason in me asking to step down as deputy AEC. Me and Jonny live so close together, and at the very Eastern edge of our area, so were doubling up on organising rides in a part of the area where few members live.
I think the SW works much better now having Jonny as AEC and tiboltrider further West as deputy.

I think anyone who is willing to invest their free time to try and organise rides (for every ones enjoyment) should be encouraged.
And lets not forget, its also encouraged for us to organise smaller, more regular rides as often as we like.

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

have to chime in on this, and please note i am not having a grumble at anyone.

being an AEC can look quite easy, and in real terms it is, every now and again we try and organise rides in our areas, but sometimes the turn out can be poor which is quite diss-heartning, when i have an IOW ride generally it's me, gus, makster and 1 or 2 non forum friends which is a shame, when we have had purbecks rides they have been attended by non forum members again (which is a good thing) but not too many forum members. down the west of our area they have haldon hill which is a good venue and gets a reasonable turn out but is a 2hour + drive for me but i go when i can if there is an event. but i can understand why those guys don't come to my rides as it is a long way.

it's all about making the effort yourself

the point i am making is it can be hard to get people out on their bikes aswel as organising a ride on a weekend when you (ie me or whichever AEC) are available to lead a ride. for example, i work shift work which means that only 5 sundays in 10 are available to organise a ride (that i can attend) and these preferably must not happen at the same time as national rides and hopefully other near area rides so there's a bit of calender checking way in advance!

the other issue both me and TGR have is that our areas are quite large but also relatively sparsely populated by members, and even less of those members can turn up or want to turn up for various reasons from being out on the piss the night before to having to look after kids to being worried about not being fit enough for the ride.

if you want a ride a doesn't have to be organised by an AEC, just post up a thread and say "hey guys i am riding here on sunday, anyone want to join me?" and before you know it you've got your ride and then also we end up with another new route to consider for future rides.

:)

Author:  tintin40 [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

TheGreenRabbit wrote:
Lets keep it on topic please, What do you want and what are you willing to help with. (If you wish to complain about a mod trying to keep a thred on topic this please PM me)

The topic is why you make up threads with other peoples names on just because you a Mod. Bullying wont work with i've got the T-shirt. Pm me you want.
Children shouldn't go on the web :wink:

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

neither me or TGR are actually Mods, we have the "power" for want of a better word to move or edit within our areas only and that is only to tidy up threads really, TGR didn't make anything up he just moved what you had already written and gave it a different title, it might have been better to point this out but is it really a big issue? . . . . nah, don't think so

Author:  tintin40 [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

jonnyboy666 wrote:
neither me or TGR are actually Mods, we have the "power" for want of a better word to move or edit within our areas only and that is only to tidy up threads really, TGR didn't make anything up he just moved what you had already written and gave it a different title, it might have been better to point this out but is it really a big issue? . . . . nah, don't think so

Making things up is. This is not my thread. So he should put his name to it. If not a big deal so whats the problem? He started this by starting thread with my screen name. i didn't we could do that. I think i will start some with his screen name on. I don't think he will like them either :wink:
But then i'm not part of the 'IN' crowd round.

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

tinitin, you are well in mate!! :D

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:54 am ]
Post subject: 

I started this thread to use TinTin's comments to start a debate as to what WE can do for the area, and to maintain a degree of decorum. Nothing more nothing less. Please can we get this back on topic.

Author:  Dr S [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:00 am ]
Post subject: 

This is a real shame. TGR is trying to run a large area all on his own and all you can do is have a pop at him?

Being an AEC is a pretty thankless task at times and much harder than it looks. How about showing him some support before he throws his hands up and says enough?
North East and Yorks is still without an AEC five months after i quit which really surprises me considering the number of people who felt that the job could be done better. Don't let this happen in your area too. As it happens, the area has survived because Kaya as deputy has kept it going. What happens to you guys when the sole AEC quits? End of.

Tintin, looking at your post count you obviously have plenty of spare time. Why not do something productive and give TGR some help instead of slagging him off?

SJ

Author:  BobCatMax [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:14 am ]
Post subject: 

I completely agree Si

I have a few ideas, but I'm going to wait a little bit, if that's alright with TGR..?

Author:  John [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:36 am ]
Post subject: 

Given the number of complaints I've had from tintin40 I've removed his post from the top of this thread. Hopefully we can now focus on how to best go forward with the SE Area Group rather than percieved human rights abuses.

Author:  Dr S [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I still remember the fuss when you 'spammed' him with a Retrobike newsletter Guv so i'm not at all surprised that you have had a complaint.
Yet again i am left with nothing but admiration for your tolerance and patience.
It really is quite sad.

Author:  Piperdave [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Does this count as a riot..... :roll:

Come on, lets stop getting a*sy about this and have a nice ride and some cake together. Its what we all really want.

D

Author:  Anthony [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

I would be willing in principle to organise some rides near here, but there are two issues:

a. not very many people look in this part of the forum, so it would make a huge difference to potential addendances if it was possible to send an invite/advert by pm to a list of people without having to send individual pms (which is very time-consuming and a strain on the max size of your sent box). I have a list of members in Brighton and wider Sussex, which I have given to Bobcatmax, but it is a question of how to make best use of it.

I am not on Facebook, but for those who are I assume that may be a very good mechanism.

b. In my particular case, I may not be a good person because I don't like early starts and I don't particularly like singletrack-based rides, such as the Big Dog course in Stanmer Park for example. I like long cross-country rides, and I realise that may put me in a minority.

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

you'd love the IOW then :D

Author:  BerthaPog [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

Did someone mention cake? :D

Did organise a ride at Bedgebury[1] to avoid national nuptials and excessive watching of Pippa's bottom.

Happy to do that again, Bedgebury, not watching Pippa's...[2] , but some home stuff needs to be sorted before I can commit.

[1] Has it's good points (coffee and walnut cake) and bad (price of parking).
[2] People can organise this themselves.

Author:  godders [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Some good points there Anthony.....i recived a pm from Bobcatmax about the brighton ride, i was in two minds to go or not but that was enough to make my mind up :) ...so i worked for me and may do for others ? some years ago i used to ride with another group and it can be prety disheartning when a ride is organized and then no one turns up ...usualy when its bloody cold and raining :( so keep up the good work all those trying to sort things out for the enjoyment of the rest of us
Mick :)

Author:  uno-speedo [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm good to organize rides in and around the Surrey Hills starting in September.

Author:  grd [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

For me this all started when I offered to do just that back in June....Now I've decided my life's too short and I'm happy to carry on riding my old bikes with my friends without all the politics and aggro that I'm paid to put up with during the week.

Author:  DA-EVO [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hello All,

As a relative newb here, here is my take.

I have been on a few rides with the retrobike crowd and they are good people. They enjoy biking and surely thats the point of it all.

Facts are though that people get busy and there is sometimes not a lot of uptake on rides. People will get on a bike when it suits them, this is the nature of it. Unless there is a concenus of people that want to go and do x,y,z on a certain date you are not going to get good numbers.

If someone posts a 'we are doing this in 3 months' type event, everyone takes interest but then the numbers drop towards the event. Conversely, if someone wants to do a 'fancy a cycle at the weekend' then its similar.

Perhaps its worth doing a few things that are 'third sunday, every third month' where the dates are something that everyone can anticipate.

So heres perhaps a few suggestions that people could discuss:

FOFSE events: namely f*** off from South East for a few days once a year, we go do a weekend somewhere else. Wales, Scotland, France, Belgium, a nice trip that is worth the effort.

Trail days: I do like Bedgebury and can acommodate 4 bikes / people in the car - it would be a pleasure to organise runs there if people wanted to. I don't want fuel money as I would be doing this anyway. I am sure others feel the same.

Improved sharing of routes: We did the Ride with GPS section, there are only a few people able to do this via GPS but people could post there written routes in that thread so that others can benefit. We asked about this in other regional areas and perhaps the response wasn't so positive. I think this could improve site-wide as, for example, the Benelux section has a great resource on there that is more open to share. Sharing is a good thing, no point hiding all your routes to yourself - not worth bothering with a forum if that is your take, in my opinion.

Road or offroad: We seem to do less on the road, perhaps we could improve this. Or, perhaps we combine the two and just meet up for lunch when two routes co-incide. my local CTC group does this regularly, even though there are only a few active members to that.

Its a big area: South East covers a lot of ground and people aren't always wanting to go Hampshire, Kent, Reading, London - perhaps a few more reps would be an idea. Mostly the problem is transport being crap so a little more autonomy would be a good idea.

More Chat: People talk a lot on the wider forum, perhaps a dedicated chat forum for SE would be easier to get people to engage more.

Everyone has their limits: Whether biking a long way or time commitments - its going to be a lot easier if people take interest in what others are doing and if it meets their abilities - Seafront ride is a good example, not long, plenty of stops, good cameraderie, however, perhaps if someone was going to plan a bit of a ball breaker, then it would suit others.

Comms: Anthony raised a good point, we could use FB or twitter to get the word out, but if no-one is communicating on the forum, which already does these things, we are just moving the problem around. The @retrobikese twitter feed is now following more people, at one point it was following no-one. Give a few trusted people access to that account and it could convey a lot more info. Same with the forum.

Efforts of TGR and others: Much appreciated and its done for nothing so don't expect too much - but, we all use the forum so lets make an effort to help. I was not aware that TGR wasn't much avaialble at certain times, and perhaps it would be easier to help if everyone knew that, as there is a certain respect for the Area Co-ord in sorting these things out.

Retro v New: Lets just get on with biking, we know the name of the forum but I only have one 'new' MTB and 19 old road bikes. our interests are the same regardless, overall.

Forum: I would finally ask if people perceive this as an Internet Forum or a bonafide bike club. I believe it is the latter, posting on the forum is part of a bigger picture and we should understand this. Most other forums are just a place to type crap into - I thing RB is more than this, hope you all do too.

D

Author:  makster [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

DA-EVO wrote:
Hello All,

As a relative newb here, here is my take.

I have been on a few rides with the retrobike crowd and they are good people. They enjoy biking and surely thats the point of it all.

Facts are though that people get busy and there is sometimes not a lot of uptake on rides. People will get on a bike when it suits them, this is the nature of it. Unless there is a concenus of people that want to go and do x,y,z on a certain date you are not going to get good numbers.

If someone posts a 'we are doing this in 3 months' type event, everyone takes interest but then the numbers drop towards the event. Conversely, if someone wants to do a 'fancy a cycle at the weekend' then its similar.

Perhaps its worth doing a few things that are 'third sunday, every third month' where the dates are something that everyone can anticipate.

So heres perhaps a few suggestions that people could discuss:

FOFSE events: namely f*** off from South East for a few days once a year, we go do a weekend somewhere else. Wales, Scotland, France, Belgium, a nice trip that is worth the effort.

Trail days: I do like Bedgebury and can acommodate 4 bikes / people in the car - it would be a pleasure to organise runs there if people wanted to. I don't want fuel money as I would be doing this anyway. I am sure others feel the same.

Improved sharing of routes: We did the Ride with GPS section, there are only a few people able to do this via GPS but people could post there written routes in that thread so that others can benefit. We asked about this in other regional areas and perhaps the response wasn't so positive. I think this could improve site-wide as, for example, the Benelux section has a great resource on there that is more open to share. Sharing is a good thing, no point hiding all your routes to yourself - not worth bothering with a forum if that is your take, in my opinion.

Road or offroad: We seem to do less on the road, perhaps we could improve this. Or, perhaps we combine the two and just meet up for lunch when two routes co-incide. my local CTC group does this regularly, even though there are only a few active members to that.

Its a big area: South East covers a lot of ground and people aren't always wanting to go Hampshire, Kent, Reading, London - perhaps a few more reps would be an idea. Mostly the problem is transport being crap so a little more autonomy would be a good idea.

More Chat: People talk a lot on the wider forum, perhaps a dedicated chat forum for SE would be easier to get people to engage more.

Everyone has their limits: Whether biking a long way or time commitments - its going to be a lot easier if people take interest in what others are doing and if it meets their abilities - Seafront ride is a good example, not long, plenty of stops, good cameraderie, however, perhaps if someone was going to plan a bit of a ball breaker, then it would suit others.

Comms: Anthony raised a good point, we could use FB or twitter to get the word out, but if no-one is communicating on the forum, which already does these things, we are just moving the problem around. The @retrobikese twitter feed is now following more people, at one point it was following no-one. Give a few trusted people access to that account and it could convey a lot more info. Same with the forum.

Efforts of TGR and others: Much appreciated and its done for nothing so don't expect too much - but, we all use the forum so lets make an effort to help. I was not aware that TGR wasn't much avaialble at certain times, and perhaps it would be easier to help if everyone knew that, as there is a certain respect for the Area Co-ord in sorting these things out.

Retro v New: Lets just get on with biking, we know the name of the forum but I only have one 'new' MTB and 19 old road bikes. our interests are the same regardless, overall.

Forum: I would finally ask if people perceive this as an Internet Forum or a bonafide bike club. I believe it is the latter, posting on the forum is part of a bigger picture and we should understand this. Most other forums are just a place to type crap into - I thing RB is more than this, hope you all do too.

Very well said! Some excellent points and ideas raised there, which is exactly what was asked for

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

now going to stick my 2p worth in.....

I started to write, but ended up not in the spirit of pushing things forward, so I deleted it all, but do feel a little peved by the events as a personal attack for trying to keep a thread on track.

With 4 events either happening or going to happen in the rest of this year. I dont know what more I can do, perhaps ride with a broom up my ass to sweep the trail ?

I also happen to like long early morning road rides, but don't think that's going to catch on as a format for a retroride.

Communications always a issue, but its a forum you can feel free to check it when ever you want. The @retrobikese twitter was a trial, and I dident get much feedback infact non, but will continue a little longer when I have time, it was only ever intended by me as a dabble with the medium as with all these things you get what you put in, but it coems down to time. I feel for now the main method of communication is the forum. (Try @plantmanjrw if you want to follow some one on twitter.)

Da-evo raises a good point is retrobike a forum or a bike club ? iI woud say its a forum first of all, and a bike club second, but ask me in a few moments and I may have changed my mind, almost worthy of a thread of its own, we could always split this thread, but we know what happens then.

Author:  DA-EVO [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

In regard to the twitter feed, I have another observation: It doesn't seem to follow many RB members.

TGR, If you want to keep @retrobikese for yourself, fine, but if its not following the people that are part of RB, then its not communicating with us. Set up another one that we can follow and that will follow us back, it will make for better comms.

D

Author:  DA-EVO [ Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

TGR, I trust you are not taking my post personally? Wasn't my aim. I know that you contribute a lot to the forum / club - more than many for sure.

I was trying to add a few points for discussion, to enable others to contribute and add input.

If the input is not welcome, let me know. I didn't start this discussion, I did not diminish anyone, I did not complain.

It's people such as you that have made the forum (for me) more welcoming - if you cannot see that then I can't help you on that.

D

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:05 am ]
Post subject: 

DA-EVO wrote:
TGR, I trust you are not taking my post personally? Wasn't my aim. I know that you contribute a lot to the forum / club - more than many for sure.

Thank you, No I am not taking any of this personally. Your comments are most welcome, and I belive also sum up what most people are thinking.

Author:  BobCatMax [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:07 am ]
Post subject: 

Some really good ideas there D.

I guess it really comes down to communication. If you don't mind people joining your ride, post up when and where. That way if people can make it, they will, and if they can't they won't but at least we'll all know about it :)

How comfortable are people about putting facebook ID's and #tags on a public forum...I know I wouldn't put my phone number! Something to figure out there definitely. Perhaps AEC's and deputy's could maintain a list of various contact details (whatever people are happy to provide and be contacted on) as there isn't that much activity in here. Maybe a chat specific thread would change that?

Perhaps we could sticky some specific SE area threads, as in Swinley forest rides, Bedgebury rides, Arundel Rides, Surrey Hills rides, Chiltern Rides, etc, etc, for the people that do them regularly ?

I'm still thinking about this, so no doubt more to come..

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:45 am ]
Post subject: 

Some good points raised.

Let me tell you how things have evolved in the North East.

We started before the area groups were formed, so we have an 18 month start on everyone else (except MacRetro who were the real pioneers).

Rides were small to start with, just a few regulars turning up for monthly meets. We then worked on getting the numbers up. It was all about creating a buzz. When folk see you are having fun they join in.

So key points....

Communication. You have to be a pain in the arse and make sure everyone knows what you are up to. If your ride is taking place near to the border of another area group, let them know. This often generates several new riders. We have had attendees from NWA, MacRetro, Mids and Linc & Anglia to our monthy rides because we let them know what was planned. Often joining forces with your neighbouring AEC can be a great idea- you share the load and get more bums on saddles.

Plan ahead. In late september we start a new thread to discuss where the rides will be the collowing year. Identify pockets of attendees and make sure there is a ride near to them- use their local knowledge! Ask where people want to ride, when they want to ride- saturdays or sundays, and make provision for both. Get 20 suggestions and whittle them down to 10-12 rides. Then, working together fashion them into a calendar. Loosely speaking we go for the 3rd weekend of the month. Stagger them around the area so there is always something local for some and an adventure for others- keep it fresh!
By having a calendar sorted by christmas people can make plans before holidays are booked.

Welcome all. Modern or Retro. Its more about attitude than machines. The rides are special because of the people attending, no matter what they ride. Encourage folk to bring a friend along- share costs and company on longer drives. Several of my local friends are now getting into the spirit and are rebuilding old bikes that have sat at the back of the garage for 15 years.

Keep the faith. Rome wasn't built in a day. Work together, create a sense of fun, show folk they are missing out.
Make sure each ride has a good write up and lots of quality photos. Concentrate on the scenery and smiling faces. Active members always look at aftermath threads so make sure you tempt them to your rides. Us Northerners like a road trip, so you never know you might have us roll up one morning.

Finally, don't let geography frighten you. Quality rides attract riders from far afield. NE&Yorks and MacRetro are much bigger areas, with poorer road networks and sparse membership. If we can do it, so can you. Last years BDW had people drive for seven hours in each direction to attend. Make it worth the effort and treat them well and they will be back in bigger numbers.

Best of luck guys and i hope my few tips help. Don't forget that other AECs are always there to help if you get stuck for ideas or need a little support.

SJ

Author:  rosstheboss [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:53 am ]
Post subject: 

There's a lot of good ideas floating around here. My main problem with life in general at the moment is time - I have basically none!!!!

In between working away sunday to friday a lot of the time and having a 4 month old little boy as well as two step sons, a wife and decorating a house, I've managed to squeeze in a rosy TWO bikes rides since Stanley was born in April, I'm not moaning about it at all, just saying I'm very busy. It would be lovely to meet up with you guys for a ride, it's just everything else gets in the way...

Although I am planning a cake and river based bimble at some point this(probably next!) year.......

If you look at other areas on here they are much more heavily populated by retrobikers, we are a bit thin on the ground in the south east, as has been mentioned before, comparing us to Macretro, for example, isn't particularly realistic!!!

Tintin mate, if you want to go for a ride, go and bloody do it! If you want to organise one, great! Your comment of "I won't hold my breath" is pretty bloody rude and certainly unfair to someone who takes unpaid and valuable time out to try and organise events for our benefit.

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:15 am ]
Post subject: 

MacRetro looks to have lots of members yes, but they are spread over a vast area. Jamie Dyer is 6 hours away from those in the central belt for example MacRetro works because they are organised and commited. They have worked hard to make their events a success.
I would also say there are more Retrobike members in the SE than in the NE, and much closer together- it takes me over 3 hours to get to the more southernly based rides in our own area and i'm still a good hour or so from the top end of our area. You just have to find a way to get these members to become more active. It's not easy, but with time and effort it will happen.

SJ

Author:  BobCatMax [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:20 am ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for that Dr S, lots of good advice, and lots of things for us to try down here.

I may drop you a PM or two for some advice down the line :)

rosstheboss wrote:
My main problem with life in general at the moment is time - I have basically none!!!!

I think this is one of the main factors for everybody Ross, I certainly know it is for me. One of the few times I get out on a decent ride, is when I get up early and extend my commute to work

rosstheboss wrote:
If you look at other areas on here they are much more heavily populated by retrobikers, we are a bit thin on the ground in the south east, as has been mentioned before, comparing us to Macretro, for example, isn't particularly realistic!!!

Totally agree with you on that point, it certainly does seem that way, but I don't think Si was comparing us to MacRetro, just using them as an example..happy to be corrected though :)

and as for the last bit ross, definitely in agreement there ;)

Author:  MikeD [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:55 am ]
Post subject: 

Are there Area Group usergroups that AECs can send PMs to? I know phpBB can do such things, I don't know how much of a faff it is to set up/administer. Ideally there'd be some simple mechanism whereby I (or whoever) could sign up for Area PMs for ride notifications.

Author:  Carge [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

There's a few of us who meet up at Swinley from time to time, which we natter about on the SE section.

Joined TedC's ride at Bedgebury and very good it was too! Cheers again.

TGR's rides tend to be more Brighton-ish based - which is understandable as he lives that way and knows the area. I can't expect him to organise me a ride round Berks.

Therefore if you want a ride in your area - you need to help and do some legwork.

Author:  MikeD [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

It may be worth remembering that the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate :)

Author:  Carge [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

MikeD wrote:
It may be worth remembering that the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate :)

Good point - well made :)

Author:  BobCatMax [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Carge wrote:
if you want a ride in your area - you need to help and do some legwork.

MikeD wrote:
the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate

As far as rides go, I don't think it could be put more succinctly than that :lol:

Author:  BerthaPog [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

BobCatMax wrote:
Carge wrote:
if you want a ride in your area - you need to help and do some legwork.

MikeD wrote:
the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate

As far as rides go, I don't think it could be put more succinctly than that :lol:

Agree completely. Organising a ride, especially a "wild" route, takes some effort. TGR's ride earlier in the year was really good, and looking forward to a follow-up. Maybe rather than one deputy AEC, we could have a few, each covering a smaller part of the SE area?

MikeD wrote:
Are there Area Group usergroups that AECs can send PMs to? I know phpBB can do such things, I don't know how much of a faff it is to set up/administer. Ideally there'd be some simple mechanism whereby I (or whoever) could sign up for Area PMs for ride notifications.

That would certainly make it easier - as you need a email address to sign up, could this be used (with appropriate permissions cf. Data Protection Act yadda yadda)

Author:  BobCatMax [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

TedC wrote:
Maybe rather than one deputy AEC, we could have a few, each covering a smaller part of the SE area?

In an ideal world, definitely.

TedC wrote:
MikeD wrote:

That would certainly make it easier - as you need a email address to sign up, could this be used (with appropriate permissions cf. Data Protection Act yadda yadda)

Completely agree with you after trying to organise the Brighton Ride (there's cake Ted, can we tempt you?? :lol: ) I'll be talking to John and TGR about this

Author:  BerthaPog [ Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

BobCatMax wrote:
Completely agree with you after trying to organise the Brighton Ride (there's cake Ted, can we tempt you?? :lol: ) I'll be talking to John and TGR about this

It's taken a step up the possibles :wink: with or without cake. Will drop you a PM.

Author:  cchris2lou [ Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:14 am ]
Post subject: 

I havent been on here much recently due to house move and too much work , but would like to get back into it .

Author:  BobCatMax [ Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

welcome back Chris :)

Author:  bryan555 [ Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Some positive comments here. I've enjoyed some great rides in the SE, and would love to do more. I like the idea of a regular ride that gos the x weekend of the month. Also, how about evening rides?

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

The Usergroups is a good idea if the AEC/DAEC can make use of it (bulk emails/pm or infact even for a good old list of members), they need creating (like the Kona an GT fanboys ones) then it could be setup for anyone to become a member of that usergroup by just joining it.

In our area (NE&Yorks) I look out for local to me members (via the location or info posted) and PM them and send the nick to our local DAEC. We've had a few come for a ride and also we get to know who's in the area. If the user group was created I could then ask them to join up to it if they so wished.
Sometimes people just miss the ride announcements.

But if you want a ride, think of one, make possible date(s) and announce it. Get the local DAEC/AEC to do the coordination of it.

Yes turnout can be poor, some can't make Saturday, some cannot do Sundays or weather. But if you put on the ride it does mean you turn up and you wanted a ride anyway.

And Dr S's calendar of main events has worked well for our group.
But they are not the only rides, plenty of other 2 to 20 rides end up happening as people fancy.

Author:  BobCatMax [ Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

Didn't know you could do that Fluffy, thank you

If anyone wants to be a part of the SE Usergroup then let me know via PM, I can get one set up. I won't add you unless you ask, don't worry :)

As for the Events Calender idea, I was thinking of using some kind of shared Google calender, but possibly not, as I doubt it will integrate with the forum. Dr S' simple post format is a good place to start!

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

Don't know if you can create them or John has to
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/groupcp.php
but it's an idea.

Author:  Tad [ Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

I started to read through it all but rapidly lost the will to live.

Back to scouring the interweb for me in action at the Big Dog. A brilliantly organised event by Rory and the gang, heavily publicised here, easily reachable on the train from London but only a handful of teams in the Retro category. If there really is this desire for more stuff to do I'm surprised it wasn't better attended. Ho hum, your loss if you were stuck at home actively pursuing the training regime of a hardened keyboard cyclist.

Cheerio.

Author:  BerthaPog [ Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

This thread started off in a bad place (for want of a better expression) but as is often the case, much goodness has come out of it.

Author:  bryan555 [ Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

TedC wrote:
This thread started off in a bad place (for want of a better expression) but as is often the case, much goodness has come out of it.

Whatever happened it seems to have been a catalyst for conversation, which is always good on a forum :)

Author:  BobCatMax [ Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

I split our Usergroups posts off from here as it was getting a little OT..in the mean time, carry on!

Author:  KeepItSteel [ Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

I offered my assistance twice for the SE area but never had a response back to presumed organisational help was no longer required (possibly..).

I to dont catch a lot that goes on in the ride out threads, but am always up for a ride, I agree with Anthony that a FaceBook invite system might work nicely.

Jonnyboy, id be well up for an IOW ride and even more so for a south downs trail explore, ive been wanting to ride the South Downs with some regulars for a while as ive heard there are some good trails.

Author:  bluedazzler [ Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:55 am ]
Post subject: 

my proposals for simplest way forward, for SE area group

1 Organise a ride of your own..

2 Give a meeting point, time and location on the forum

3 Get on your bike, wait for people to arrive.

4 If they turn up, great.

5 If they don't turn up, still great.

6 Ride

7 Cake

8)

Author:  BerthaPog [ Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46 am ]
Post subject: 

bluedazzler wrote:

6 Ride

7 Cake

8)

Could I add:

5a Cake

8 Ride a bit more

9 More cake

There's always time for more cake :-)

Author:  bryan555 [ Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:59 am ]
Post subject: 

TedC wrote:
bluedazzler wrote:

6 Ride

7 Cake

8)

Could I add:

5a Cake

8 Ride a bit more

9 More cake

There's always time for more cake :-)

This seems to be a good plan, but would like to see more provision for cake.

I suggest appending:

1a Cake

3a Cake

Author:  bluedazzler [ Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

yes good points there fellas,

not sure how I overlooked these important criteria 8)

Author:  tintin40 [ Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

should it not be more about cycling (off road) than any thing else?

Author:  Piperdave [ Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

tintin40 wrote:
should it not be more about cycling (off road) than any thing else?

Why off road, some of us have road retro bikes.. DaEvo, Green Rabbit, You!
Could use a retro ride out in the country lanes.....

D

Author:  tintin40 [ Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Piperdave wrote:
[Why off road, some of us have road retro bikes.. DaEvo, Green Rabbit, You!
D

I did buy a road frame set once but then the idea passed me. Off road or nothing for me. Trimble or nothing

Author:  DA-EVO [ Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Piperdave wrote:
Why off road, some of us have road retro bikes.. DaEvo, Green Rabbit, You! Could use a retro ride out in the country lanes.....

D

Yes, agreed would be good.

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:38 am ]
Post subject: 

Ok, Thank you for all your input on this, we are in the process of putting together a ride program for 2012, it will require support from every one to work, there are currently gaps in the program so we will be looking for people to lead rides, A thread for the 2012 ride list will be posted some time in the next week.

Author:  Carge [ Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:07 am ]
Post subject: 

tintin40 wrote:

I did buy a road frame set once but then the idea passed me. Off road or nothing for me. Trimble or nothing

Blinkers or nothing! :D

I could be tempted by a road ride - although I have to admit - nothing older than 2004 in road mode

Author:  bryan555 [ Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:24 am ]
Post subject: 

More cake. Don't mind if it's off road or on road cake.

Thanks to everyone who make retrobike se rides such fun, both organisers and participants. I'm up for helping any way I can.

Author:  bryan555 [ Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 am ]
Post subject: 

faulkner wrote:
now a days most are prefer like this.............

An ellipsis should be three dots...

Author:  BobCatMax [ Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

bryan555 wrote:

Thanks to everyone who make retrobike se rides such fun, both organisers and participants. I'm up for helping any way I can.

well, if you know any good rides that we don't, then feel free to lead/share them with us when you can :)

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

BobCatMax wrote:
bryan555 wrote:

well, if you know any good rides that we don't, then feel free to lead/share them with us when you can :)

or cake !

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd be more than happy to organise/lead a ride in the Brighton area.

Also, I am thinking of doing the SDW next year, over two days if anyone fancies it?

But having said all this, the uptake on any rides I have put up on here has been a bit disappointing....

Author:  Carge [ Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just a thought for the SE group...

I quite often go out along the Kennet& Avon canal - from Reading or Theale towards Newbury and beyond. It has the distinct advantage of being ridable in pretty much any condition, and traffic free. It is by nature flat - so not in any way technical - but good for some winter miles.

If there's anyone who fancies a 15, 20, 30 mile spin to keep the legs turning, I'd be happy to meet up and go for a ride.

Let me know.

Author:  DA-EVO [ Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

warpedboy2 wrote:

Also, I am thinking of doing the SDW next year, over two days if anyone fancies it?

But having said all this, the uptake on any rides I have put up on here has been a bit disappointing....

When for SDW? have someone else interested and I want to do it again.

And yeah, sorry about the hangover and not meeting up for a cycle the other week... :oops:

Author:  bryan555 [ Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:19 am ]
Post subject: 

warpedboy2 wrote:

SDW sounds good. Sorry I've missed the rides you've posted. I'm not good with anything short notice due to family commitments, but the will is there.

I tend to ride mid week evenings, so if anyone fancies that, let me know.

And if anyone fancies a chilterns ride, I used to live up that way, so could meet up with some folk up there.

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:04 am ]
Post subject: 

DA-EVO, don't worry about it! At least you made it to the caff! :lol:

I'm thinking of doing the SDW in june next year, midweek probably if there is going to be a few as it will be easier to get a B+B (don't fancy carrying a tent).

I'm working the next few weekends (business partner done a dirty on me :evil: ), but will post when i'm off out riding again.

Author:  BobCatMax [ Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

bryan555 wrote:
And if anyone fancies a chilterns ride, I used to live up that way, so could meet up with some folk up there.

ooh, where?

Author:  bryan555 [ Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 am ]
Post subject: 

I used to live in Thame, and ride around chinnor, white leaf, coombe hill, wendover way.

Some good riding to be had around those parts. 8)

Author:  DA-EVO [ Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

January 2nd is a Monday and its also a Bank Hol. Anyone thinking of a post crimbletag biking session?

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

DA-EVO wrote:
January 2nd is a Monday and its also a Bank Hol. Anyone thinking of a post crimbletag biking session?

Subject to weather I'm thinking of quite a few Xmas & New Year sessions.

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:19 am ]
Post subject: 

DA-EVO wrote:

An easy bimble up the downs link might be nice. Maybe not the full 70 odd miles ( :shock: ), but to a couple of pubs etc.

Author:  warpedboy2 [ Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:29 am ]
Post subject: 

I think for the S.E. group to move forward, we need more folk to suggest to lead rides. Most of the rides next year (so far) are near Brighton/Worthing. That is because that is where TheGreenRabbit and Bobcatmax live. They know the trails. They know alternative routes if the weather is foul etc.

Im my opinion they do an awesome job (for free!), but the S.E. area is massive. So step up and suggest to lead a ride. I for one, would love to see where YOU ride.

Author:  Kitmech [ Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Me and a couple of guys ride around Hastings it takes us through some woods, a couple of council estates, along the seafront for fish and chips and then through the park! It's only about 8 miles but we have a laugh :D

Author:  Piperdave [ Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

Anyone ride south of Worthing? :?

Author:  bluedazzler [ Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Piperdave wrote:

what, on like a pedalo or something?

Author:  Piperdave [ Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

bluedazzler wrote:
Piperdave wrote:

France, Belgium......

Author:  DA-EVO [ Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

Piperdave wrote:
bluedazzler wrote:
Piperdave wrote:

France, Belgium......

Yes occasionally, just outside of Spa, Belgium. Very nice trails and good elevation changes, the area nearby has lots of woods and due to the terrain is also a bit of a skiing area.

My Avatar is of one of my other hobbies, at Spa. (Apart from drinking and eating, that is).

Author:  bluedazzler [ Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Really!? lets organise a trip over there, I'd love to visit Belgium with the bike

Author:  Carge [ Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've ridden in the south-east of France - they're got some biggish hills round there. And the pastries are waaaay better than the cakes at Bedgebury.

I thought the South East Group was supposed to be the South East IN England - not anywhere else geographically south east of England ?? :shock:

Mind you - Spa-Francorchamps is in the south east of Belgium - so we're ok :)

Author:  DA-EVO [ Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Carge wrote:
I've ridden in the south-east of France - they're got some biggish hills round there. And the pastries are waaaay better than the cakes at Bedgebury.

I thought the South East Group was supposed to be the South East IN England - not anywhere else geographically south east of England ?? :shock:

Mind you - Spa-Francorchamps is in the south east of Belgium - so we're ok :)

Yeah, essentially south east of anywhere, even if its really close to the north west bits.

p.s. Carge, they are opening an evening cake / coffee shop in Brighton this weekend, runs Thurs, Fri, Sat every week.

Author:  Carge [ Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

DA-EVO wrote:
p.s. Carge, they are opening an evening cake / coffee shop in Brighton this weekend, runs Thurs, Fri, Sat every week.

Just googling the route from Bracknell to Reading - via Brighton......
Hmmmmmm - might need more than cake :lol:

Author:  Kitmech [ Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

It's all about the CAKE :twisted: :twisted: