Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

MikeD wrote:
It may be worth remembering that the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate :)

Good point - well made :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:03 pm 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC

Carge wrote:
if you want a ride in your area - you need to help and do some legwork.

MikeD wrote:
the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate

As far as rides go, I don't think it could be put more succinctly than that :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:26 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

BobCatMax wrote:
Carge wrote:
if you want a ride in your area - you need to help and do some legwork.

MikeD wrote:
the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate

As far as rides go, I don't think it could be put more succinctly than that :lol:

Agree completely. Organising a ride, especially a "wild" route, takes some effort. TGR's ride earlier in the year was really good, and looking forward to a follow-up. Maybe rather than one deputy AEC, we could have a few, each covering a smaller part of the SE area?

MikeD wrote:
Are there Area Group usergroups that AECs can send PMs to? I know phpBB can do such things, I don't know how much of a faff it is to set up/administer. Ideally there'd be some simple mechanism whereby I (or whoever) could sign up for Area PMs for ride notifications.

That would certainly make it easier - as you need a email address to sign up, could this be used (with appropriate permissions cf. Data Protection Act yadda yadda)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 pm 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC

TedC wrote:
Maybe rather than one deputy AEC, we could have a few, each covering a smaller part of the SE area?

In an ideal world, definitely.

TedC wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Are there Area Group usergroups that AECs can send PMs to? I know phpBB can do such things, I don't know how much of a faff it is to set up/administer. Ideally there'd be some simple mechanism whereby I (or whoever) could sign up for Area PMs for ride notifications.

That would certainly make it easier - as you need a email address to sign up, could this be used (with appropriate permissions cf. Data Protection Act yadda yadda)

Completely agree with you after trying to organise the Brighton Ride (there's cake Ted, can we tempt you?? :lol: ) I'll be talking to John and TGR about this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:56 pm 

BobCatMax wrote:
Completely agree with you after trying to organise the Brighton Ride (there's cake Ted, can we tempt you?? :lol: ) I'll be talking to John and TGR about this

It's taken a step up the possibles :wink: with or without cake. Will drop you a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:14 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

I havent been on here much recently due to house move and too much work , but would like to get back into it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 pm 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC

welcome back Chris :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:45 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Some positive comments here. I've enjoyed some great rides in the SE, and would love to do more. I like the idea of a regular ride that gos the x weekend of the month. Also, how about evening rides?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:18 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

The Usergroups is a good idea if the AEC/DAEC can make use of it (bulk emails/pm or infact even for a good old list of members), they need creating (like the Kona an GT fanboys ones) then it could be setup for anyone to become a member of that usergroup by just joining it.

In our area (NE&Yorks) I look out for local to me members (via the location or info posted) and PM them and send the nick to our local DAEC. We've had a few come for a ride and also we get to know who's in the area. If the user group was created I could then ask them to join up to it if they so wished.
Sometimes people just miss the ride announcements.

But if you want a ride, think of one, make possible date(s) and announce it. Get the local DAEC/AEC to do the coordination of it.

Yes turnout can be poor, some can't make Saturday, some cannot do Sundays or weather. But if you put on the ride it does mean you turn up and you wanted a ride anyway.

And Dr S's calendar of main events has worked well for our group.
But they are not the only rides, plenty of other 2 to 20 rides end up happening as people fancy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:28 pm 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC

Didn't know you could do that Fluffy, thank you

If anyone wants to be a part of the SE Usergroup then let me know via PM, I can get one set up. I won't add you unless you ask, don't worry :)

As for the Events Calender idea, I was thinking of using some kind of shared Google calender, but possibly not, as I doubt it will integrate with the forum. Dr S' simple post format is a good place to start!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next