Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:37 pm
Posts: 2036
MikeD wrote:
It may be worth remembering that the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate :)


Good point - well made :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:03 pm 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 4398
Location: Angmering
Carge wrote:
if you want a ride in your area - you need to help and do some legwork.


MikeD wrote:
the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate


As far as rides go, I don't think it could be put more succinctly than that :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:26 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 6:42 am
Posts: 1524
Location: Mostly West Midlands
BobCatMax wrote:
Carge wrote:
if you want a ride in your area - you need to help and do some legwork.


MikeD wrote:
the 'C' in AEC is for Coordinator -- not organiser. It's surely up to people across an area to organise rides and let the coordinator know so he can, well, coordinate


As far as rides go, I don't think it could be put more succinctly than that :lol:


Agree completely. Organising a ride, especially a "wild" route, takes some effort. TGR's ride earlier in the year was really good, and looking forward to a follow-up. Maybe rather than one deputy AEC, we could have a few, each covering a smaller part of the SE area?

MikeD wrote:
Are there Area Group usergroups that AECs can send PMs to? I know phpBB can do such things, I don't know how much of a faff it is to set up/administer. Ideally there'd be some simple mechanism whereby I (or whoever) could sign up for Area PMs for ride notifications.


That would certainly make it easier - as you need a email address to sign up, could this be used (with appropriate permissions cf. Data Protection Act yadda yadda)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 pm 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 4398
Location: Angmering
TedC wrote:
Maybe rather than one deputy AEC, we could have a few, each covering a smaller part of the SE area?


In an ideal world, definitely.

TedC wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Are there Area Group usergroups that AECs can send PMs to? I know phpBB can do such things, I don't know how much of a faff it is to set up/administer. Ideally there'd be some simple mechanism whereby I (or whoever) could sign up for Area PMs for ride notifications.


That would certainly make it easier - as you need a email address to sign up, could this be used (with appropriate permissions cf. Data Protection Act yadda yadda)


Completely agree with you after trying to organise the Brighton Ride (there's cake Ted, can we tempt you?? :lol: ) I'll be talking to John and TGR about this


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:56 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 6:42 am
Posts: 1524
Location: Mostly West Midlands
BobCatMax wrote:
Completely agree with you after trying to organise the Brighton Ride (there's cake Ted, can we tempt you?? :lol: ) I'll be talking to John and TGR about this


It's taken a step up the possibles :wink: with or without cake. Will drop you a PM.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:14 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 10945
Location: kent
I havent been on here much recently due to house move and too much work , but would like to get back into it .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 pm 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 4398
Location: Angmering
welcome back Chris :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:45 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:31 pm
Posts: 894
Location: North of Southwick, East of West Sussex
Some positive comments here. I've enjoyed some great rides in the SE, and would love to do more. I like the idea of a regular ride that gos the x weekend of the month. Also, how about evening rides?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:18 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 16748
Location: Yorkshire, England
The Usergroups is a good idea if the AEC/DAEC can make use of it (bulk emails/pm or infact even for a good old list of members), they need creating (like the Kona an GT fanboys ones) then it could be setup for anyone to become a member of that usergroup by just joining it.

In our area (NE&Yorks) I look out for local to me members (via the location or info posted) and PM them and send the nick to our local DAEC. We've had a few come for a ride and also we get to know who's in the area. If the user group was created I could then ask them to join up to it if they so wished.
Sometimes people just miss the ride announcements.

But if you want a ride, think of one, make possible date(s) and announce it. Get the local DAEC/AEC to do the coordination of it.

Yes turnout can be poor, some can't make Saturday, some cannot do Sundays or weather. But if you put on the ride it does mean you turn up and you wanted a ride anyway.

And Dr S's calendar of main events has worked well for our group.
But they are not the only rides, plenty of other 2 to 20 rides end up happening as people fancy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:28 pm 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 4398
Location: Angmering
Didn't know you could do that Fluffy, thank you

If anyone wants to be a part of the SE Usergroup then let me know via PM, I can get one set up. I won't add you unless you ask, don't worry :)

As for the Events Calender idea, I was thinking of using some kind of shared Google calender, but possibly not, as I doubt it will integrate with the forum. Dr S' simple post format is a good place to start!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group