Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

XMAS PARTY 4th Dec 2010 - Brighton
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=115217

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:09 am ]
Post subject:  XMAS PARTY 4th Dec 2010 - Brighton

Just a few drink on a saturday evening, at a location near a train station, I am plumping for Brighton,

But if some one wants to organise somthing more, let me know and more than likely I will let you !!

A early December Saturday evening. 4th or the 11th ?

2/11/10 UPDATE - 4th DEC 2010 - Time and location TBC
But meeting early evening for a food and a few drinks.

Author:  DA-EVO [ Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: XMAS PARTY ?

TheGreenRabbit wrote:
Just a few drink on a saturday evening, at a location near a train station, I am plumping for Brighton,

But if some one wants to organise somthing more, let me know and more than likely I will let you !!

A early December Saturday evening. 4th or the 11th ?

With my arm thoroughly twisted, I could possibly check out a few pubs in the Brighton station area, for research purposes, and this event only, of course.

Author:  bryan555 [ Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

I like the sound of that. We won't even have to ride old bicycles first to justify meeting for some beer :D

The Sussex Yeoman is nice. Or The Eddy. The Windmill is great, but a bit further from the station. Lots of nice pubs in the North Laine area not far from the station – The Eagle, The Basketmakers...

Author:  DA-EVO [ Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

bryan555 wrote:
I like the sound of that. We won't even have to ride old bicycles first to justify meeting for some beer :D

The Sussex Yeoman is nice. Or The Eddy. The Windmill is great, but a bit further from the station. Lots of nice pubs in the North Laine area not far from the station – The Eagle, The Basketmakers...

The Yeoman is good but its more of a food pub and if you want to book a table to sit at its best to do it before-hand. I know the owner so thats not a problem with a bit of notice.

As for The Eddy... erm, I heard of it! I won't say how often I am in there but if the date end in the letters d.a.y there is a strong possibility. Not a problem to organise something there either I am sure. Windmill is good, Eagle is great but gets busy and I don't really visit the Basketmakers but its OK.

Geek club I am in also visits the Florist, good beer, and no doubt its worth an ask. So yeah, much agreed, sounds good.

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Bryan555 /Da-Evo can I leave this in your capabule hands ?

and to whoever voted no, care to share why not ?

Author:  DA-EVO [ Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

So, if we are going to do this, can we have a straw poll on whether peoples want food or they just want to cut straight to the beer!

Beer is easier, food is not hard to organise but would need a little bit of notice.

Thanks

D

Author:  BobCatMax [ Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:26 am ]
Post subject: 

Im easy either way.

Food might be a little more civilised (and fill the stomach prior to all that beer..)

Author:  Augustus [ Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:00 am ]
Post subject: 

BobCatMax wrote:
Im easy either way.

Food might be a little more civilised (and fill the stomach prior to all that beer..)

Seconded.

Shall we all go out to dinner?

:-)

Author:  bryan555 [ Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

I recently sent DA-EVO a PM saying maybe drinks would be easier to organise! I was worrying that we wouldn't be able to get folk to commit, making it hard to book. That said, it would be more civilised to sit and eat. :)

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

bryan555 wrote:
That said, it would be more civilised to sit and eat. :)

Have you seen me eat, not that civilised :lol:

Author:  DA-EVO [ Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

TheGreenRabbit wrote:
bryan555 wrote:
That said, it would be more civilised to sit and eat. :)

Have you seen me eat, not that civilised :lol:

I think what did it for me was when the waitress at that cafe on Hastings seafront asked you to regurgitate the plate that the cake was served on?

And the cup.

But anyhow, yes, food is possible. I did think we could say beers from 8.30 and 7pm if anyone wanted a little food. Times are adjustable of course, as is your serving suggestions on food. I hear that Pizza Express is the new St McDonalds for the middle classes, or summat. :D

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

looks like food is of interest to some beer to others, anyone care to suggest a date and venue ?

Author:  JeRkY [ Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

I could be keen, although its quite a hike from London :(

Author:  BobCatMax [ Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

not that bad to Brighton..an hour-ish on a fast train straight from town...

Author:  rosstheboss [ Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Had a good beer and pizza in the Robin Hood in Hove on saturday, good music, good vibes.....

Author:  Piperdave [ Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

Could try the Evening Star, two mins walk from the station. Good real beer pub....

http://www.eveningstarbrighton.co.uk/

Author:  DA-EVO [ Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ok,

Looks like we have interest for food. So we could organise food for say 6pm and then if people want to join for drinks at say 7.30 - 8.00pm that would be fair enough I guess?

December 4th works for me. How about everyone else?

In terms of food, The Yeoman isn't the cheapest but the food is good, we would however need to confirm numbers for food and pre-book a table as it gets busy. The Eddy does food also, and is a bit more informal, so it could be an 'eat / don't eat' option as we wouldn't need to book unless it appears lots want to join us for food.

The Yeoman, Eddy, Evening Star and Caxton Arms are all within approx 150 yds of each other, all good pubs. So, there isn't really a need to stay in one place unless anybody really wants to. The Eagle / Basketmakers are approx 300 yds away so lots of options for beer.

Happy to help sort it, as I live nearby. I can probably get a menu from somewhere if that would help?

Thanks

D

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ok lets go for the 4th, Da-evo can you get a menu ?

Author:  DA-EVO [ Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:40 am ]
Post subject: 

TheGreenRabbit wrote:
Ok lets go for the 4th, Da-evo can you get a menu ?

Will do.

Author:  Augustus [ Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Nags Head in Chichester.

The BEST carvery in the known universe, until 10pm EVERY day. :-) (and you can have seconds...)

Author:  rosstheboss [ Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Wu-Tangled wrote:
Nags Head in Chichester.

The BEST carvery in the known universe, until 10pm EVERY day. :-) (and you can have seconds...)

Have you had one at The Old Tollgate in Bramber? That takes some beating.... :D

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

Wu-Tangled wrote:
Nags Head in Chichester.

I am sorry to say you are wrong its at http://www.oldtollgatehotel.com/ sod seconds I did 3rd/4ths and 5ths !!!

Author:  rosstheboss [ Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

TheGreenRabbit wrote:
Wu-Tangled wrote:
Nags Head in Chichester.

I am sorry to say you are wrong its at http://www.oldtollgatehotel.com/ sod seconds I did 3rd/4ths and 5ths !!!

Nice! Another fan - it should be said the main photo on this page is the self service carvery STARTER selection.....

http://www.oldtollgatehotel.com/Restaur ... Sussex.asp

Author:  DA-EVO [ Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:11 am ]
Post subject: 

Got some Menu's will scan them tomorrow, prolley.

Author:  Klein-Mad-Chris [ Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:34 am ]
Post subject: 

Count me in, food then drinks sounds good to me.

Author:  DA-EVO [ Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

Menu No.1 The Eddy

This is the standard Bar menu, they generally have some specials which are a bit more, er special. e.g. Thai Curry, or Steak or risotto or basically something thats not on the bar menu. Hope that all makes sense...

No I don't know why it's called Harveys Angels either, esp as his name is Herve, He used to work in one of, if not THE most bestest burger place in Brighton EVAR. The Nacho's are good also.

<menu removed after event as agreed with venue>

Author:  DA-EVO [ Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

This is the Sussex Yeoman Menu, albeit its the Sunday menu. The reason for showing this menu is that they do not have a weekly menu, its all specials / whats on the board on the day. This should give you an idea of the sort of meals they do.

They also have a Christmas Menu, which is £35.00 per head and I will scan that in if there is interest.

NOTE: If you want to eat here, I need to know NOW - they are already half booked for the 4th Dec.

<menu removed after event as agreed with venue>

Author:  BobCatMax [ Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

oooh, make that +2 for the yeoman, that looks delicious

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm easy, The less money spent on food means more for beer !

Author:  Augustus [ Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd go for the burger joint Harvey's angels or whatever it's called, looks good.

Author:  BobCatMax [ Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

heathens!

Author:  bryan555 [ Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

MMmmmm, the food at the yeoman's is pretty good :)
But I think the eddy would bake a better venue :D
And the food there is good too 8)

Author:  DA-EVO [ Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

BobCatMax wrote:
heathens!

I hear the new Subway menu is very tempting at this time of the year.. its also quite local ;)

Author:  BobCatMax [ Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

DA-EVO wrote:

I hear the new Subway menu is very tempting at this time of the year.. its also quite local ;)

tbh, i'm perfectly happy with any of them :)

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
I hear the new Subway menu is very tempting at this time of the year.. its also quite local

Turkey and stuffing should be on by then :lol:

Author:  DA-EVO [ Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Keep the votes coming in please I wil book it asap.

Author:  DA-EVO [ Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

bump - chips...

Author:  DA-EVO [ Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:21 am ]
Post subject: 

Booked the Eddy for burgers an stuff, 6pm dec 4th.

They were both busy so had to get on with it. SO those who answered on this you are booked and it will be good to see you. More welcome as well.

Magic Darts. Etc.

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:39 am ]
Post subject: 

DA-EVO wrote:
Booked the Eddy for burgers an stuff, 6pm dec 4th.

They were both busy so had to get on with it. SO those who answered on this you are booked and it will be good to see you. More welcome as well.

Magic Darts. Etc.

THANK YOU !!!

Author:  BobCatMax [ Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:02 am ]
Post subject: 

Cool, the Eddy it is then.

Thanks DA

Author:  rosstheboss [ Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:41 am ]
Post subject: 

Balls! Just realised my brother in law is getting married that day... at this rate I'm going to have to organize my own retro event so I might be able to go to it!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Author:  DA-EVO [ Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:42 am ]
Post subject: 

rosstheboss wrote:
Balls! Just realised my brother in law is getting married that day... at this rate I'm going to have to organize my own retro event so I might be able to go to it!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

We'll send you a commemorative 1/2 eaten Kebab from the late part of the evening. I think I have a retrobike sticker somewhere to stick on it.

Have a good day anyway :)

Author:  DA-EVO [ Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Wanted: More retrobikers to join in.

All we ask is, turn up, eat stuff, drink stuff, enjoy it.

kthxbai

Author:  Piperdave [ Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Now looks like i've been stuffed with a family visit over that weekend. Will be there in spirit though :cry:

Author:  bryan555 [ Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hey, thanks for sorting this out, looking forward to my Christmas burger!

I'll be bringing at least one other along if that's OK? Also, is anyone bringing their partner/wife/girlfriend along?

Author:  BobCatMax [ Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

yep, but you've met her Bryan

Author:  DA-EVO [ Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

bryan555 wrote:
Hey, thanks for sorting this out, looking forward to my Christmas burger!

I'll be bringing at least one other along if that's OK? Also, is anyone bringing their partner/wife/girlfriend along?

Should be fine bringing more, we are booked for 7-10 so far, can always change it.

Author:  Scarfacexxx08 [ Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Wu-Tangled wrote:
Nags Head in Chichester.

I second that! But i'm guessing its too far away from everyone else?

Author:  DA-EVO [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:44 am ]
Post subject:  BB&B

Dear All,

As per previous, we are visiting The Eddy Pub for Burgers, Beer, and erm, Banter I guess. We have a table booked for 7-10 people at 6pm for food. After this, we will likely make use of the Bar taps and things.

As already mentioned, the calorie conscious may wish to join us after the food, which would be around 7.30 - 8.00 pm, however all are welcome at whatever time.

Please find the website and maps link for the pub below:

http://www.theeddypub.co.uk/

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 18&iwloc=A

List:

BobCatMax + 1
Bryan555 + 2
DA-EVO + 1
TheGreenRabbit
WuTangled
Klein-Mad-Chris
Scaracexxx08 ?
others...

If I have missed your name, please let me know, I'll add it.

Author:  bryan555 [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

That'll be Bryan555 + 2!

See you there...

Author:  Scarfacexxx08 [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm now going to have to pass on this as i've been roped into helping a friend move house :(

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

bryan555 wrote:
That'll be Bryan555 + 2!

See you there...

Bryan555+2 = bryan557

:lol:

Author:  BobCatMax [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

I don't think we're going to be able to make it out either now :(

sorry everybody, was really looking forward to this too.

Author:  DA-EVO [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

Anyone dropping out now WILL HAVE TO send a full-size cardboard cut-out of yourself along.

It will also need to be able to eat burgers and talk about bikes. It will also be their round more often, which they will need to pay for.

You have been warned. Or something.

Anyone else want to join in? :D

Author:  BobCatMax [ Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:48 am ]
Post subject: 

I may have to equip mine with wheels and a motor, so it can do a runner at the end of the night then..

Author:  bryan555 [ Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well, it'll be very festive with all this snow! Hope we can get into town by Saturday, Buses weren't running out to Southwick today...

Author:  Piperdave [ Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

No bus probs in worthing, but it is a bit flatter

Author:  DA-EVO [ Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Brighton Clear of snow this morning. Not a trace. s'no excuse really.

*gets coat*

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

DA-EVO wrote:

*gets coat*

I'm stuck in Spain, should be back in time though !

Author:  Augustus [ Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

sorry chaps, only just back from brizzle. Can't make it over now. Sorry. :(

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

TheGreenRabbit wrote:
DA-EVO wrote:

*gets coat*

I'm stuck in Spain, should be back in time though !

and I'm not.

Author:  Piperdave [ Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hi Guys, sorry i couldn't make it. Any printable pics of the do?

Author:  DA-EVO [ Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Piperdave wrote:
Hi Guys, sorry i couldn't make it. Any printable pics of the do?

Hi Dave,

As per the previous posts on the thread, it turned out that most people could not make it. No doubt the weather was contributory, wasn't the nicest of weather. I unreserved the table as no one made it for food.

Bryan555 and his family turned up a little later and we had a very good chat and drink, whilst talking bikes, food and stuff. Great to meet them, esp. as I had known his sister for a while via work, but never met her.

Therefore, the pics are running a bit thin on the ground, but none the less, a good evening and many were missed. Perhaps if something is organised again, the weather / travel arrangements will be a little more kind to it.

As they say, we had a drink on all of your behalves, and, well, you owe the Bar 60 quid. I have told them to PM you all for it ;) (They can take PayPal gift apparently).

Cheers :D