AFTERMATH...Wet Sunday 22/8/10

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Didn't think anyone was mad enough to want to go out last Sunday, but as i had posted it, i went to the start, at the appointed time. It was very wet, but warm. Bobcatmax turned up, on his bargain GT LTS, and with his partner as well, so, we had a riot :roll:

I had a great deal of fun meeting them, showing them a lot of trails that they had never imagined would be only 3 miles from their front door :LOL:

It was very muddy, and i did things on a bike i had never done before:- sideways, nearly backwards, stayed on in mud(!?).

We had some atmospheric views, both forward, and back, and some good beer and banter.

Didn't take many pics, as a) didn't want to get the camera wet, and b) it just seemed to interfere with the flow of the ride.

The route is here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/157538

P8220181.jpg

Didn't go that way then....

P8220182.jpg

Doesn't look that wet does it. Well it was. BobCatMax adjusting his partner Heidi, and his GT, looking west along the A280, Long Furlong road.

P8220183.jpg

Decisions, decisions,decisions...we went left.

P8220185.jpg

Obligatory first pub (Worlds End, Patching) pic. BobCatMax, trying to remain incognito, Heidi, his partner, and me.

Wetdayout.jpg

Nice little trail on route

Hope to meet some more of you on other rides.

Dave

looked nice. sometimes the best rides are in the worst conditions.

Where is that pic taken with bobcat max fettling with heidi's bike?

Hi mate,

Click the route link to see it. It is about 1.3 mls into the ride. This is above the top end of the A280, just after you turn left off of Honeysuckle Lane. Pic is looking SW.

like the look of this route. So plan to do it this Saturday both ways and the forecast looks good for the weekend

Hi,

The gps went a little hazy(?) at about 2 miles due to tree cover. I drew the route using the hybred view. Look for a yellow footpath marker on the right at this point.

If you do it both ways, you will have to visit the pubs twice :twisted:

D

Piperdave":1yupkzd5 said:
Hi,

The gps went a little hazy(?) at about 2 miles due to tree cover. I drew the route using the hybred view. Look for a yellow footpath marker on the right at this point.

D

I will try to remember this yellow marker. But retroklein has the GPS so knows were to go.

West Worthing station is nearest

No, Durrington on sea.

Out the station head north to strand roundabout, nth along Boulevade, nth Durrington lane, nth Durrington hill,to A27, rt then lft Salvington Hill,which turns into Honeysuckle lane. it's a straight line :LOL:

Hardest bit is from the station to Honeysuckle La, it's all up uphill :)

Have fun...

Piperdave":1rjb7w0s said:
P8220181.jpg

Didn't go that way then....
I don't know that area, but I'd be interested to know where this sign is and whether you felt the prohibition was reasonable. How far would you have to push your bike if you went that way and did as you were told?

I would have to push about 200 mts to a road, 500 mts to a track.

It is a big dog walking area, (area that is, not just big dogs you understand). There have been probs with m/cycles/moped/mini bike, and also horse riders.

I used to walk our dog there, and it is a lovely spot, with tracks through the woods and a big drop off for the full sus boys and girls.

But, yes, i feel the ban is reasonable. There are other places to ride around there, on bridleways etc, and as a dog walker, i don't want to worry about both my dogs safety, and riders safety, should the dog chase/run into the bike.

Google tells me that it is also used for "dogging"..whatever that is :roll:

Well I agree that you wouldn't want to disturb people while they're dogging. :shock: The mind boggles. And I don't really want my mind to boggle while I'm riding my bike.

But I don't agree that a path shouldn't be a bridle path just because it's a nice place to walk your dog. If dog walkers agree not to use bridle paths to walk their dogs then fine, but that's not likely to happen.

I'm a member of a committee that advises WSCC on rights of way issues, so I'm always on the lookout for examples of paths that would be useful bridle paths but are restricted to footpaths. Presumably that expensive sign has only been put there (by WSCC?) because people do cycle down that trail.

Back