GPS tracking

BobCatMax

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
do any of you guys ever track your rides?

I've only tracked one of mine so far, but plan to get more..it got me quite interested to see if others do it and what routes they take

link to mine

I've got Google My Tracks on my phone which I use - it works well enough, overlaying your track onto Google Maps as well logging max/av. speed, distance, time and elevation gain/loss, plus some other stuff that I've forgotten...

I odd times use mapmyride...........mostly lose patience with it, though........ :p

I just tend to use the info from my Sigma computer and have a look at the map to get an idea! I do use maps on my iPAQ as an easier way to carry them (just scan and puthem on as SD card, or screen grab from Multimap, who has an OS option)........kind of cooncil GPS- have a bluetooth GPS receiver which works with the iPAQ, but I've never really found the need for it- a digitised version of the OS landranger or explorer maps does the job well enough.

I dare say I may get a GPS phone sometime, but I'm also a cheapskate..... :p

Thanks tintin, it was the first time we'd been up there, and being able to plan enroute and find our way home was more than a little useful

I've got a WinMo phone with GPS SportTracker ross, it does pretty much the same thing

You should try it Lysander, get it all in one place!

When i eventually get back out (bike bootrack arrival imminent) i'll keep a note of them in here, in case anyone is interested..?

I have a Garmin 705 which you can grab data into Google Earth with. The file format on the Garmin is tcx format.

It has its own training tool as well but its a bit locked in if no-one else is using the same software. Not messed with the Google Earth bit much as yet but if theres a way of exporting maps back into the GPS format that would be cool as we could use the gps logs to follow trails.

More than happy to share a few logs, I also have pretty much all the South Downs way logged somewhere from when I did it last year.

Attachments

• earth-gps.JPG
    earth-gps.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,347
Haven't had chance to sort out the logs as yet, but found http://ridewithgps.com via a friend. Seems to be OK, not sure on the resolution of waypoints and mapping as yet, but perhaps a quick and easy way to get some maps shared.

mentioned above so thought I would add mapmyride will export to GPS and google maps..

Bing/Multimap needs a way as they have the OS maps, as neither google nor mapmyride do (probably as they both use google maps)

Of course there are commercial tools memory-map springs to mind.

BUT not having anything GPS I cannot vouch for any of it :LOL:

DA-EVO":a1n2shmd said:
Haven't had chance to sort out the logs as yet, but found http://ridewithgps.com via a friend. Seems to be OK, not sure on the resolution of waypoints and mapping as yet, but perhaps a quick and easy way to get some maps shared.

Just tried this and it seems to work well. Have yet to export/ import data to my gps, but it looks promising. It can post direct to facebook as well.

Could be a good, free way of sharing.

Dave

Back