Swinley Forest MTB ride 1/12/19

ti_pin_man":mtrubik7 said:
tim75":mtrubik7 said:
ti_pin_man":mtrubik7 said:
ahhh tis the time of year for the sound of brake blocks rubbing full of damp leaves and mud.

Does that mean you might come along?!
maybe, a pass is like a Brexit negotiation, three daughters and mrs to sign the ti_pin-exit. :(

OK well good luck, would be good if you can make it. You could always go for no deal and just come anyway.

Re:

hey guys,

went to ride swinley today, there are 2 sections that are currently closed, don't know if that means they'll still be closed in a few weeks though, they were out there today doing trail maintenance so maybe it'll be sorted by the 1st. but even if they are the guts of the trail is open, the bit that's closed (if you know swinley) is the fun downhill section before the gravel climb to the start of what is considered the downhill section if that makes sense, the other bit is the lead to and downhill that is towards the end of the red section.

generally it was riding well, lots of puddles but the ground underneath was still hard so plenty of grip. defo need crud guards though and a change of clothes to drive home in!

truth be told i won't be riding retro if i can make it as i can't cope with a retro position currently with a bit of a dodgy back.

:)

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":3bj0bvox said:
hey guys,

went to ride swinley today, there are 2 sections that are currently closed, don't know if that means they'll still be closed in a few weeks though, they were out there today doing trail maintenance so maybe it'll be sorted by the 1st. but even if they are the guts of the trail is open, the bit that's closed (if you know swinley) is the fun downhill section before the gravel climb to the start of what is considered the downhill section if that makes sense, the other bit is the lead to and downhill that is towards the end of the red section.

generally it was riding well, lots of puddles but the ground underneath was still hard so plenty of grip. defo need crud guards though and a change of clothes to drive home in!

truth be told i won't be riding retro if i can make it as i can't cope with a retro position currently with a bit of a dodgy back.

:)

So you think it's still worth riding then, even if there are a couple of closed sections?

Retro bikes and dodgy backs don't mix very well, I've had that quite a lot the past few years.

I went earlier this year in the spring and the same 2 sections were closed. There's still plenty to ride and considering the weather challenges, it's probably a little better on our older equipment!

Smugards?

RB-Coniston-05.jpg

tim75":1ty9yqqk said:
So you think it's still worth riding then, even if there are a couple of closed sections?

definitely, randomly i spoke to a local swinley rider today, he said the sections were supposed to be closed this week and next week for trail repair but should be back open again soon, hopefully for when we go.

i'd still be happy to ride with these sections closed, doesn't massively reduce the length of the ride as they have detours in place, which were both gravel tracks but i can live with that.

what time were you thinking of starting the ride?

jonnyboy666":3nc5scij said:
tim75":3nc5scij said:

definitely, randomly i spoke to a local swinley rider today, he said the sections were supposed to be closed this week and next week for trail repair but should be back open again soon, hopefully for when we go.

i'd still be happy to ride with these sections closed, doesn't massively reduce the length of the ride as they have detours in place, which were both gravel tracks but i can live with that.

what time were you thinking of starting the ride?

Ok good, 10am at the bike shop.

Re:

Looking forward to it! Haven’t been on a bike for a while as just lost the mojo a bit, but have been mountain biking without the bike bit. Is good fun and less to clean afterwards. Hope my legs hold up with all the pedalling.

Stodgy":sd1y5zt0 said:
Looking forward to it! Haven’t been on a bike for a while as just lost the mojo a bit, but have been mountain biking without the bike bit. Is good fun and less to clean afterwards. Hope my legs hold up with all the pedalling.

That's the spirit!

Back