Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Firstly, apologies for link to photos, but it seems the only way I can attach them. :facepalm: :oops:

So the day dawned bootiful! And I got there to find Godders waiting for me with old faithful 'Dale, shortly followed by GRD and his upmarket Fat Chance Shock-a-Billy! Wow! Not seen this before I don't think, there was a lot to take in!

So off we went, up a long road climb, to Truleigh hill. A seemingly endless drag up to the South Downs Way. Worth it for the off road downhill though. Or so I think.
After which, a small up and over Lower Beeding, and into Steyning for 11ses. Some - cough - toast for me, with a cuppa, and similar refreshments for the other lads.

A hidden gem this café, one of the other cafés was heaving, plenty of free tables here though :cool:

After which, we had a long steady off road climb, back up to the top of the downs.
Thankfully, despite the length of the climb, it was in the shade so I wasn't in too much trouble! :LOL: :LOL:
After a couple of photos, it was time to ride on to the SDW, heading west, and Chanctonbury Ring. Dropped down to Washington village, showing the lads a couple of new downhills on the way. Over The A24 we went, and thanks to the organizer :facepalm: went the wrong way! :oops:
Thankfully, we ended up at the bottom of a climb I'd intended to go up. Just not the way I'd intended!
Even more thankfully - for me - there was another café I'd forgotten about, at the bottom of the climb, at Sullington. I think the intended lunch stop would have stretched us all out a bit too much, to be honest.
It was nice and cool in the barn, and tea/cake/Coke was very welcome.

We still went up the climb, a bit steep to start, but spirits had been lifted with the stop. Then we started heading back east, via a nice bit of single track, to one of the water stops on the SDW. Welcome top up with cold water, we carried on - my phone had packed up by this stage, so no photos - towards Cissbury Ring. What followed was a lot of nice, fast and very welcome downhill sections. :cool:
Then to finish off, we rode the bridleways around the back of Lancing college, and to where we met in Shoreham.

I think we all enjoyed the ride. It was good to catch up with you both, thanks for coming. ;)
Hope to see you at the next ride we organize :cool:

Mike

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L8FHfsunKLo1rGGu7

Re:

Brill day out Mike :) I think we all did well considering the heat ! Even with the relaxed pace we were still out for six hours !!! Minus probably three spent in cafes/talking/looking at the views :) great to catch up with Matthew as well, must be at least two years since I saw him last ! As always a great route ( even with the mistakes ) ;) cheers Mike and Matthew for a top day on the Sussex downs :)

Mick

Looks to have been a cracking day out

Just hope the long awaited but never ridden LGF Gates ride delivers such fine and dusty riding this weekend

Back