Your views, please

Re:

Hard to think why I wouldn't turn out for a ride because given half a chance you know I always will! Maybe the danger of going home with more frames and wheels than I left with... ;)

Riding somewhere new and ogling the lovely machinery is always a draw, but the relentless hysterics are without doubt the best reason to keep coming back - as Ken mentioned we were in stitches for vast chunks of the Great Dun Fell ride!

A lot of folks do seem to worry unduly - albeit understandably - about fitness. Offroad rides especially cater for all levels and we've not left anyone behind yet ... although I do recall once having trouble extracting mrlee from The Fox where we'd paused for some light refreshment... :LOL:

I need to make the effort to meet some of you face to face and get to a retro ride, for me it’d be about putting a face to a name and lusting after other retro bikes with a ride thrown in for good measure, no need to race just a good fun pace.

I'm in SW London and don't drive, I don't mind some train travel but as Al said if it's going to take me hours then I would rather ride more locally. I have read your ride reports and they sound great, not too taxing but nice roads/trails and a good distance, plus cake, obviously. I've considered coming along to a couple but looked at the travel involved and decided against it based on travel time (and replacement bus services!) alone.

Mike, your enthusiasm seeps from every pore and is to be applauded so please carry on!

I came across this post by accident and would very much like to know how I can get regular notifications from the S E retro pages?

One day I will make one of your rides and I will be the slow guy at the back.

jono63":2bl3zrpc said:
Mike, your enthusiasm seeps from every pore and is to be applauded so please carry on!

I came across this post by accident and would very much like to know how I can get regular notifications from the S E retro pages?

One day I will make one of your rides and I will be the slow guy at the back.

This is on mobile but hopefully you can figure out how it applies in a web browser...
Go to the forum you want to keep track of and scroll down to the bottom righthand corner. Tap the settings symbol and subscribe to the forum.

And I couldn't agree more about Mike, he's a great asset to the forum!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180427-084825.png
    Screenshot_20180427-084825.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 659
Re:

Agree with most of the comments above. Im the wrong side for access to the SDW but miss riding there after 20yrs....badly. Im not fit but working on it after a bad health scare earlier this year. Id like to hook up for a ride that starts/stops near a mainline train station ( Petersfield ? ) which saves me having to spend 6hrs stuck in M25 traffic.

Im in it for the camaraderie, checking out other retro bikes, scenery is important too. Only been on one Gates ride but nobody was abandoned and it was a great day out.

Re: Re:

firedfromthecircus":glsiau28 said:
Mike Muz 67":glsiau28 said:
It's quite telling, 173 views and only 9 people have commented. I wonder if any of the area mods are among that number? :roll:

Mike

Hey Mike. I've read this thread a couple of times to see what sort of response you are getting, but it's not really for me to comment on given my location. However, I will say this.
Credit to you for trying to drum up support. It can be really frustrating to organise stuff and not get a decent turn-out. As you are probably aware we have had the same problems in MacRetro, which was probably one of the more active area forums. I think the reasons for low turnout are many and varied, but what you organise in mind of one problem (say rider fitness concerns) will not deal with those with transport issues, or family commitments, other health problems, hangovers, etc, etc, etc. While it's good to ask what folk want to do, as an organiser I think the best thing you can do is organise rides you want to do, publicise it well, and hope others turn up. If they don't, at least you are getting a nice ride out of it. ;)

btw, I'd love to come and ride the South Downs but I struggle to do any rides that don't start at my front door so that's not much help!

I think this is probably the best advice!

Re: Re:

M-Power":1pnsr727 said:
Agree with most of the comments above. Im the wrong side for access to the SDW but miss riding there after 20yrs....badly. Im not fit but working on it after a bad health scare earlier this year. Id like to hook up for a ride that starts/stops near a mainline train station ( Petersfield ? ) which saves me having to spend 6hrs stuck in M25 traffic.

Im in it for the camaraderie, checking out other retro bikes, scenery is important too. Only been on one Gates ride but nobody was abandoned and it was a great day out.

I could certainly organise something to start from near Petersfield. I've done a few that start from Havant which is on the same line just a couple of stops further for you.

Back