TOUR du CAKE, 25th March, + AFTERMATH ! !

Re:

Just a quick update...... I may or may not make it tomorrow having only just got Home from a surprise party for our 35th wedding anniversary!! And having had a few beers ;) bit will let you know for sure if I'm making it or not ;)

Mick :)

Re: Re:

godders":1hezjv20 said:
Just a quick update...... I may or may not make it tomorrow having only just got Home from a surprise party for our 35th wedding anniversary!! And having had a few beers ;) bit will let you know for sure if I'm making it or not ;)

Mick :)

Congratulations, pish ed! ;)

Mike

Re: Re:

godders":3lgfveaz said:
Running a little late!! But should be there for 10.30.......ish ;)

Well done!!!!

And just to get my excuses in early, I've wheelbarrowed 45+ tons of hardcore in the week for our extension. My back is killing me, my hands are cut to pieces but nothing's stopping me from riding today!
Granted the painkillers will be helping :LOL:

Re:

The day finally came, and dawned sunny, with a strong north easterly wind.

For once, I had time for a slow potter along the coast, taking a piccie along the way.

IMG_1009 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Well, it had to be my latest retro creation, didn't it!

Along to the meeting point, to be greeted by Tim from HAVANT, with his Panasonic. Never seen one of those, and my size too. Hmmmm. :facepalm:

IMG_1011 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Shortly after came Shawn, nice to meet you at last, with his lovely Marin Team Ti! :cool:

IMG_1012 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Then from SEVENOAKS, came Andyz! Along with a slightly worse for wear Godders.

Andy, with his lovely Overbury's, and Godders on his faithful Cannondale.

IMG_1010 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Pity some more local riders didn't turn up and join us, we're not exactly short of Retro folk, but that's their loss. :roll:

Along Hove, then Brighton prom we trundled, opting to ride into the wind and get it over with! Then a short bit of off-roading, Shawn guiding us along some new tracks, to me. Including a short, sharp climb. Cheers buddy! ;)

IMG_1013 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

That wasn't it, btw! :LOL: That was a first gear climb.

After which, it HAD to be a cake stop,

IMG_1014 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Fuelling up for the tremendously difficult path along the undercliff, with a tailwind! :cool: :cool:

IMG_1015 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

With a nice view out to sea. Then Shawn took us back up a short climb ( this is becoming a habit! ) to the top of the cliff, where a narrow path runs along the edge of.

IMG_1016 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Must admit, I am nervous of cliffs at the best of times, and with a wind coming from my right side, I was a bit nervous. :oops: Staying slightly to the right of the track helped though.

Then back along the seafront,

IMG_1017 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1018 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1020 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Then Shawn had to drop out, family stuff beckoned :roll: and the rest of us carried on, up the Downs Link,

IMG_1021 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

And into Steyning, to my favourite tea rooms. Until now. Where the clear tables were reserved from 2pm, and the ones outside were taken. :facepalm: :shock:

Thankfully, Godders came to my rescue, I didn't want a mutiny! Finding a cafe with some benches free. And they should be, given the prices! It was a nice little sun trap though, and I felt our spirits rising again, as our tummies filled!

IMG_1022 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Heading back from where we came, and through a not-too-nice area, Shoreham, we made it back to where we started. Final photo.

WP_20170325_15_16_09_Selfie(1) by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Note to self, when taking a selfie, don't face the Sun! :LOL: :LOL:

Great to see you all, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, thanks for coming. ;)

Mike

The History Man":1io9t06g said:
Looks glorious. How far roughly?

Not sure if anyone had the means to record distance etc.... But probably 20/25 ish. Mike May have a better idea ;) nice relaxed ride though, ideal after indulging in to many beers last night :\ very windy but dry ground all the way round :)
Thanks for organizing Mike, good to see you again guy :) hope to catch you at the next one!

Mick

Re:

No idea of the mileage. There's no computer on the bike, and I don't do Strava.

Glad you enjoyed it, Mick ;) See you soon mate

Mike

Back