Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

show us your ride thread!!!
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=93816

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:48 am ]
Post subject:  show us your ride thread!!!

basically what i want from you ALL is your local ride.

the idea being that maybe we can get together and at some point have mini meets to do your local route. the main reason i'm asking for this is because i know my local area but i don't know yours!! :lol:

so far i can do a good ride on the isle of wight, a good route in the purbecks (with makster as the best guide) loads around the new forest but quite easy/dull, haldon was a good venue for a ride, and also our area does include south wales so that covers afan forest etc but there must be more available in our quite large area!!

for example who knows a good route in the quantocks or exmoor??!!

so come on guys, show us your local route on this thread with a pic or 2 and a brief description, milage, how hilly, approx ride time etc

then maybe we can have a ride on YOUR doorstep!! :D

Attachments:
weneedyou.jpg
weneedyou.jpg [ 11.56 KiB | Viewed 7595 times ]

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:20 am ]
Post subject: 

I have the Mendips classic on my doorstep, will try and get some pics etc up next time I go out, but it has been written up in MBR and MBUK more times than I've had hot breakfasts. :)

Keen for a Mendips mash up, any one else in?

Author:  onza100 [ Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

I track mine on my iphone with everytrail. Im still learning the area but lots of nice riding around here.
Here's one of them

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php ... 47c51d0075

Author:  JamesM [ Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

BarneyRubble wrote:
I have the Mendips classic on my doorstep, will try and get some pics etc up next time I go out, but it has been written up in MBR and MBUK more times than I've had hot breakfasts. :)

Keen for a Mendips mash up, any one else in?

I do most of my riding on and around the Mendips so would be interesed to know the route of the Mendips classic. I'd be up for a ride too sometime.

Cheers,

James

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

i have emailed barney, gonna see if we can get a date sorted for a visit :D

Author:  JamesM [ Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Cool!!!

These are the trails I ride most often starting and finishing at The Swan in Rowberrow.

There's loads more around there too!!!

Attachments:
James' SS Ride Woo Lets Go.jpg
James' SS Ride Woo Lets Go.jpg [ 91.51 KiB | Viewed 7544 times ]

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

cool 8) i'm gonna try an get an IOW ride organised for next month then i'll see about getting a date organised between us for a ride your way :D

Author:  JamesM [ Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

What happened to my rad picture? :? It was rad!!!

Author:  JamesM [ Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Oh, now its back, and still rad!!! Seems I can only see it when I'm logged in. Weird!!! I guess pictures of over a certain radness level can only be viewed by fully signed up members!!! :wink:

I drew the red lines myself don't ya know!!! 8)

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

JamesM wrote:
Oh, now its back, and still rad!!! Seems I can only see it when I'm logged in. Weird!!! I guess pictures of over a certain radness level can only be viewed by fully signed up members!!! :wink:

I drew the red lines myself don't ya know!!! 8)

That is basically the trails I ride as well, or variations on that theme. Looking forward to getting something sorted - the trails are completely dry; lets hope they stay like it. :)

Author:  Piperdave [ Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

This thread may interest you guys.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

We have been talking about ridewithgps.com

Click the link in my signature for some examples of routes

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not sure quite what happened to our Mendips mission, but definitely up for a ride over the Christmas break. I haven't been out for a couple of months and NEED a kick start. Perhaps the 2nd or 3rd of January?

Author:  Gravy Monster [ Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

This is my ride of today, Its was basically between Bristol and Bath in the Lansdown hills. there are cracking views of the whole of Bristol, you can see over to wales and also across to Bath. Today was clear but not its clearest.

There was plenty of mud and crap today which put my Magura's to the test :lol: There is a slight bit of road work to get there but they are pretty much single country roads 8). You have a climb in the village of Upton cheyney which was fun with the clay and mud !. There is a Golfcours at the top with a small forrest area with some bomb holes 8). and then the best bit its fast downhill for a good 10 mins to the bottom which is great ................ even on the old Saracen :lol:

There are pubs on route too.

Both of mates (on modern stuff) had video cams so will post a linky when I get them.

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Love the saracen!

Author:  coomber [ Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:58 am ]
Post subject: 

Gravy Monster wrote:

Loving this photo!

Author:  Gravy Monster [ Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Been at it again, thats 3 weeks in a row :shock:

Last weekend :)

Today 8)

Was really clear today, you can make out the old Severn bridge above handle bars and new one above tip of saddle, I could see over to the black mountains today 8)....... bring on the summer.

Author:  Grannygrinder [ Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:09 pm ]
Post subject:  .

Popped up to Brechfa today.
Pottled round the blue route(Derwen) on my CX bike, big smiles :D :D

Attachments:
brechfa 001.JPG
brechfa 001.JPG [ 140.89 KiB | Viewed 3116 times ]
brechfa 002.JPG
brechfa 002.JPG [ 148.94 KiB | Viewed 3116 times ]
brechfa 003.JPG
brechfa 003.JPG [ 152.94 KiB | Viewed 3116 times ]

Author:  Gravy Monster [ Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Looks great there Mike 8)

It must have been a CX inspired weekend, here is mine from Sunday proper muddy 8)

Author:  Gravy Monster [ Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sun was out so had to take the oppertunity 8)

:: Halfway up

:: Nearly at the top of the big climb

:: Up at the top looking over Bristol with Wales in the distance

:: ready for the fast twisty downhill to the bottom 8)

:lol: :lol:

Author:  1210tech [ Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Carrying on with the sheep theme, heres a few from the first outing on my newly built up RC300 ;)

Mint Sauce admiring it!

Anyone planning any rides around the Gower, Afan or South Wales in general?

Author:  Gravy Monster [ Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

Went for a gruelling 25 miler with Fest on Tuesday night around the Bath hills again 8) I think the lights will be needed more often now the nights are drawing in :(

Yes I was riding a modern :oops:

And a youtube linky after the pics above & before it got too dark HERE in HD if you have the bandwidth :wink:

Author:  minor_LEGEND [ Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: show us your ride thread!!!

Someone mentioned the Quantock hills?

I've been up a few times recently, current fave starting point is in the cockercombe area & trails around Triscombe & Great wood. There is some dedicated downhill trails carved through a forest somewhere but xc is more my thing so I tend to go out on loops from a point in the lower hills.

pics from last Weds.

Author:  matt24777 [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 pm ]

Yay the Quantocks! Was where I cut my teeth 15 years ago, and where I've just started to ride again! Went up 3 out of the last 4 weeks for a small ride to ease my unfit self back in :oops: .

I've also got to build my confidence up, too keen on the brakes :facepalm:

The Holford end is always good!

Near Triscombe Park Gate
Attachment:
quantocks 23 2 13 (4).JPG
quantocks 23 2 13 (4).JPG [ 371.76 KiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

Near Halsway Post
Attachment:
quantocks 23 2 13 (2).JPG
quantocks 23 2 13 (2).JPG [ 177.59 KiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

Sort of a view
Attachment:
veiw on the quantocks 2.jpg
veiw on the quantocks 2.jpg [ 97.51 KiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

:D

Author:  Lukeyp [ Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re:

JamesM wrote:
Cool!!!

These are the trails I ride most often starting and finishing at The Swan in Rowberrow.

There's loads more around there too!!!

Looks good that love the trails in the Mendips!

Author:  matt24777 [ Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:40 pm ]

Couple more of the Quantocks

Phone and Gloomy weather doesn't help but you get the idea....

First Wills Neck.....
Attachment:
IMG_1368.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG [ 189.64 KiB | Viewed 2921 times ]

My favourite way down into Holford..... Can you spot the trail in this pic?
Attachment:
IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG [ 236.64 KiB | Viewed 2921 times ]

At the Bottom at Holford, Leaves leaves and more leaves!
Attachment:
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG [ 387.5 KiB | Viewed 2921 times ]

Author:  Mark B [ Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:37 pm ]

I live 10 mins from the Quantocks so spend most of my time riding up there and work in Exeter so ride Haldon a fair bit too.

I've got a 1994 Lava Dome, it's a bit of a mixture of new and old parts but makes a nice change from my other bike.

Author:  coomber [ Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:49 pm ]

If anybody wants to lead a Quantocks ride contact an area rep (tiboltrider being one) and they can arrange one for early 2014.

I'd be really keen with enough warning to plan ahead.

Author:  Mark B [ Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:01 pm ]

I would probably come along depending on date.

Author:  matt24777 [ Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:14 am ]

I'll come along possibly be willing to lead if peeps don't mind a bit of a cautious downhiller :lol:

And maybe i should improve my fitness first! The first hill near killed me today on the Mendips! :oops:

Author:  wan [ Sun May 04, 2014 10:11 pm ]

eeerrrrmmm...any weekend free riding near exeter? i new here.

Author:  Joe of Loath [ Sat May 17, 2014 1:01 am ]

Hopefully the beautiful Dartmoor scenery will offset the fact that I'm riding a modern bike and my frankly hilarious expression. (In my defense I can't find a retro bike that fits, it was hot, I'd run out of water, and I'd just set a PR up a horrible technical ascent despite having been off the bike for a month).

Author:  coomber [ Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:01 am ]

Went out in East Hill which is a really small woods outside of Honiton last night. Place drains terribly but is the nearest place offroad I can ride from my house, and I'd rather be on the bike than driving to get a ride in.

I'm going to try and see what other Bridleways are nearby, and get a decent 7-8 loop in with as little road as possible. Then I will organise a ride in 2015 if people don't mind a short one?

Excuse the rubbish camera photos. Rear light as I cycled on the road a few miles there and back.

Author:  MynameisCasper [ Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:09 pm ]

Went out for a lovely first spin on my freshly built Bonty at the Posbank near Arnhem in The Netherlands...

Author:  coomber [ Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:10 pm ]

Nice bonty!

Author:  MynameisCasper [ Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:17 pm ]

coomber wrote:
Nice bonty!

Thanks, this weekend I am going to use it at a 'Steel is real' ride. 40+ steel bikes will give acte de presence in Nijmegen :D

Author:  jimbo-xc [ Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Honiton area

Couldn't see East Hill on the OS map (there's one near Sidmouth) but how about the woods to the west of Offwell? Look interesting, with a bridleway through the middle & tracks off.
I took the Axis out on WC on Monday as it was the only dirty bike in the fleet. Wonder if this fungi is edible (didn't try it).
Now running Deore thumbies & SS7's instead of the XT sti on an 8 speed block. Reckon they shift better on 8 sp than they do on 7 as you don't have the annoying bit of spare lever travel. Got the Lava Dome on same set-up now too.
Will be up for your ride in Jan!

Attachments:
007.JPG
007.JPG [ 322.5 KiB | Viewed 3046 times ]

Author:  coomber [ Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 pm ]

There's pokey woods near sidmouth I might try but that's a drive to ride distance on a mountain bike.

East hill is outside ottery st Mary just down from the hare and hounds pub if you know it.

Not sure about the woods near offwell. Not sure I know where you mean but have a OS map now so will look.

How is WC at the mo? Bet its as dry as anywhere else

Author:  coomber [ Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:45 pm ]

Offwell woods looks good on a map. Never really noticed it before. Will report back...

Author:  jimbo-xc [ Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Offwell

I know of a rocky unclassified road there that I used to ride on the (motor) trail bike. Exits onto tarmac road not far from the recycling ctre. Good luck researching the area.
WC is riding pretty well, some wet bits obviously but it comes off the bike easily, not like the stuff all over your machine!

Author:  tintin40 [ Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:07 pm ]

Last summer when i was last out on the Trimble