How 'bad' is the Bristol to Bath cycle path?

Houlio99

Devout Dirtbag
My girlfriend has just started commuting half way along the cycle path from the Bristol end. I know the cycle path has a bit of a reputation, but just how well deserved is it? She passed two lots of Police patrolling it this morning.

I've insisted she doesn't use it after dark.

Anyone on here had experiences with it?

Cheers,
JT

I live in Bristol and use it regularly, in the main I would suggest that it's not as bad as it's reputation.

However: There are a couple of section near Bristol city center where there is a tall fence on both sides which makes an ideal point for criminals, and I am not happy riding these sections alone at night.

My advise would be to try and use it at peak times when there are lots of commuters riding it and avoid it late at night.

I did Bath to Bitton at about 10pm one night and didn't see a soul other than the odd late commuter. Sprinted the whole thing though, so didn't really have chance to look at the surroundings.

I use it but only at weekends. I guess if she can tail another cyclist or form a small group, she should be fine...

Use it every day on my way to work, including early in the morning. I think any inner city areas are potentially dangerous on expensive bikes etc and this one is no different! Though I use it almost every day with no issues.

Back