Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Burrington Combe / Mendips Meet
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=190832

Author:  NeilM [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:43 am ]
Post subject:  Burrington Combe / Mendips Meet

Can we have a show of hands for a meet at Burrington Combe on the Mendips.

We are thinking end of April, and to make life a little easier we will make arrangements to meet at the top of the Combe and ride out onto Blackdown.

Our guide for the day will be Barney Rubble, who apparently has a map of the area tattooed on the back of his hand.

Author:  player [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:48 am ]
Post subject: 

Yeah that sounds like a plan.

Im new to the area so havent riden any of the Mendips,Quantocks or anywhere in the southwest now i think about it so i better start somewhere.

Author:  NeilM [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:59 am ]
Post subject: 

Blackdown / Rowberrow are good. There is a wide variety of terrain from firebrake roads, to single track, to rocky muddy downhill buttock clenchers.

I was up there for a couple of hours yesterday, doing a recce, and had a great time, including getting totally lost and coming out about three miles from where I intended to. :oops:

Plus, there are toilets, a bike shop and a cafe at the bottom of the Combe.

Author:  JamesM [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

I drew the map that Barney had tattooed on the back of his hand, so I'm definitely up for coming along. I can spend all day argueing with Barney as to which is the best route :D

I normally ride from The Swan pub in Rowberrow.

Author:  NeilM [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

JamesM wrote:
I drew the map that Barney had tattooed on the back of his hand, so I'm definitely up for coming along. I can spend all day argueing with Barney as to which is the best route :D

I've ridden a horse out from The Swan, but I don't remember what the climb is like (or even if there is one). I rode from the bottom of the Combe yesterday, and the climb up Liberty Lane (?) is a bit brutal for some of us old guys :oops:

Author:  JamesM [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

NeilM wrote:
JamesM wrote:

I've ridden a horse out from The Swan, but I don't remember what the climb is like (or even if there is one). I rode from the bottom of the Combe yesterday, and the climb up Liberty Lane (?) is a bit brutal for some of us old guys :oops:

Think you mean Link Lane and yeah it's a steep climb. Not what you want when your legs are cold. The climb from Rowberrow is long and gradual plus you can do a few trails before going onto Blackdown. The climb from the top of Burrington is okay. We would end up doing most of the climbs anyway at some point but it's better to start with something a bit less traumatic :lol: We could then finish the ride by doing some more trials through Rowberrow and then back to The Swan for a pint and a packet of crisps!!!

Author:  NeilM [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Link Lane, that's the kiddie.

Damn this failing ...erm, failing...something, hold on, I'll get it....MEMORY!

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:54 am ]
Post subject: 

I like a ride where we discuss the route more than ride, so I'm up for it! :) I always start from the crown in churchhill or the combe, but I'm easy.

Author:  tiboltrider [ Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm up for it! :D

Author:  totti [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

tiboltrider wrote:

That's great Tim, but what about a retroride around the Mendips.....? :wink:

Author:  tiboltrider [ Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

totti wrote:
tiboltrider wrote:

That's great Tim, but what about a retroride around the Mendips.....? :wink:

:oops:

Yep, and that! :lol:

Author:  minor_LEGEND [ Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'll register my interest. I've never ridden on the Mendips if you exclude the cheddar challenge....

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:43 am ]
Post subject: 

Did we settle on a date? 22nd April is good for me.

Author:  JamesM [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

I should be able to do the 22nd or the following weekend. I'll be riding SS unless I put my Karakoram back together in time.

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:08 am ]
Post subject: 

Is anyone still up for this weather permitting?

Author:  JamesM [ Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

When it dries out a bit. I hate riding up there when it's this wet. Actually I don't hate the riding part, I just hate what it does to my bike. Brake blocks last about 20 miles and the grit gets in the cables and headset etc.

I'm going for a run on the Mendips after work on Friday so will see how bad it is.

Author:  JamesM [ Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Alot of water pouring off the hill, not great!!!

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:48 am ]
Post subject: 

We'll leave it for a bit then!

Author:  JamesM [ Sun May 27, 2012 12:13 am ]
Post subject: 

Weather is good and the trails have dried out!!!. The forestry have been logging in the area though so parts of Rowberrow look like they have staged a war. Particularly as they were logging when we had all that rain and they use large tracked vehicles, which, because it was so wet have really churned up some of the trails. The damage is mostly in one area, however the trail worst affected is one that featured in many of the loops I like to ride.

Pic attached for those who know the area. Red line is the trail that looks like a platoon of tanks has been through. You wouldn't recognise the area now.

Attachments:
Rowberrow.jpg
Rowberrow.jpg [ 135.67 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]

Author:  NeilM [ Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 am ]
Post subject: 

Someone said to me that there had been a lot of work going on up there, and that the trails had been ruined.

They failed to mention forestry work, and I had images in my mind of smooth gravel paths everywhere :oops:

Author:  JamesM [ Sun May 27, 2012 4:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Rowberrow wood is forestry land so they log areas of it most years. It's just that this year I think with all the rain that the damage to some of the trails (around where I marked on the photo) is pretty bad. In places they have reparied bits with new hardcore which right now is pretty loose and draggy. Quite a few areas seem alot rockier than usual too. Probably as a result of all the rain. The old RS Judys coped okay though :lol:

All in then from an XC point of view it's still good riding just not quite as good as before and it looks a bit of a mess in some parts where it had previosuly been quite picturesque.

So when are we riding?

Author:  NeilM [ Sun May 27, 2012 4:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

I had a couple of hours up there on a very dry / sunny day in Feb. I ended up cycling down the track to the car park off the A38, which is where we used to set out from. I could not believe how rocky it has become, and I really did not recognise where I was until I was quite a way down the path.

I must get up there soon and introduce my son to the place. The last time he rode up there he was seven or eight, and now he's twenty four :shock:

Author:  JamesM [ Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Weather has cheared up. We should maybe make an effort some time soon!!!

Oh and just for the record I rode up Burrington Combe on the road this morning on my 2.62:1 geared fixie :P , right to the top, 2.5 miles, and then back down again which was hard work too.

Author:  JamesM [ Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:06 am ]
Post subject: 

Anybody?

Dry dusty trails!!! There was still a bit of mud on tuesday but there were dry lines past it and its been baking hot ever since!!!

Author:  JamesM [ Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

It's well mingin up there at the moment :cry:

Author:  NeilM [ Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Mudfest I would have thought.

Author:  JamesM [ Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Correct but you have to go down through about 8" of water first to find the mud :lol:

Author:  NeilM [ Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

OOOhhh yummy, all in your boots and up your legs.

I remember riding up and then back down from the car park just off the A38 when it was like that. By the time we got back to the car park, after a day up there, it was under six inches of water, which I had to stand in to put the bike on the car rack. Not nice.

Author:  JamesM [ Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

I bet the Mendips are lush right now, if you like riding through rivers of grit that is!!!

Author:  NeilM [ Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

I drove down the road on Wednesday afternoon and it was like driving down a river bed. Wednesday morning Cheddar Gorge was closed, as it was a river.

Author:  JamesM [ Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

NeilM wrote:
I drove down the road on Wednesday afternoon and it was like driving down a river bed. Wednesday morning Cheddar Gorge was closed, as it was a river.

The river Yeo at Congresbury is really high, higher than the underside of the bridge where the A370 crosses. The green is flooded and people were canoeing on it. I bet Wrington has bad flooding too. I'll give you a fiver if you cycle your best bike down Iwood lane, all the way mind!!! :lol:

Author:  NeilM [ Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

I tried to get home through Congresbury on Wednesday, but the road was closed, so I then tried the causeway between Sandford and Puxton, but that too had a lake in the middle. I eventually made it home through Banwell.

I'd take you up on that bet, but I really hate emptying water out of frames :shock:

Author:  JamesM [ Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

NeilM wrote:
I'd take you up on that bet, but I really hate emptying water out of frames :shock:

I cycled down Iwood lane back when there was flooding in May or June (or sometime around then); the water came up to the canti mounts on my forks. The puddle was hundreds of meters long too and I was riding against flowing water. The Yeo that day was about 4 foot lower than it is at the moment.

FYI I was riding a hamerite painted plain gauge cromo '92 timberline with cheap parts and full length guards!!!

Author:  NeilM [ Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Anyone been on the Mendips since it stopped (shhhhh quiet) raining?

I have some time off work starting Monday, and thought I might take the Bigfoot for a shakedown run next week.

In other words, with a rucksack full of tools and prepared for a long walk back :roll:

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Still wet and going to pour down tonight! You spoke too soon. :)

Author:  NeilM [ Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yes, I've seen the weather for tomorrow, I had to take advantage of the brief cold / dry spell earlier this week to put my horse trailer away, as it's been stuck on my drive for months and the fields more suited to growing rice than grass.

It looks like it will be dry again after tomorrow, but I may just have to stick to the more solid fire roads. I want to try the Bigfoot and also recce some suitable terrain for my son to ride his newly acquired cx bike, as there is next to nowhere in W-s-M.

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:11 am ]
Post subject: 

Good to know there will be another Bigfoot in the area. My wife has one as well, so they seem to be gravitating back to the Westcountry! :)

Author:  NeilM [ Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:28 am ]
Post subject: 

Wow! That's good to know.

I met Graham Foot a few months ago, and he said they produced 200 e-stay frames. Between us we could identify only around 15. I thought it was a bit sad that the rest have disappeared.

I've not really made the time to ride mine since finishing it, as I've been spending most of my time road riding, but with this bit of holiday I thought it would be the ideal time to give it a try out, just to see what shakes loose / falls off.

Author:  BarneyRubble [ Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 am ]
Post subject: 

They are well put together so I'm surprised more didn't survive.

I must admit my wife's is rarely ridden off road, mainly to the pub in the summer; she just loves it because the last owner powder coated it baby blue! :) it does mean that it is preserved for posterity though...

Author:  NeilM [ Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:01 am ]
Post subject: 

Mine was powder coated white by a previous owner, then the last owner had the powder removed by acid dipping, so I had it re-coated bright red. Not very original I'll accept, but it is noticeable 8)

I'm sure there are quite a few knocking around in sheds and at the back of garages, they turn up on the bay from time to time and Nevadasmith is selling an absolute corker at present, but I'm sure the scrap man has had a few over the years.

As you predicted, it is pretty miserable today, let's hope the rain passes without depositing too much on us.

Author:  NeilM [ Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Burrington Combe / Mendips Meet

A quick update on Rowberrow and Black Down as I was up there yesterday.

Rowberrow is good now, mostly dried out, with the odd muddy bit just to catch you out.

Black Down is a different matter.

As a horse rider as well as cyclist, I'm sorry to say that the horse use through the winter has wreaked havoc on the trails we rode. Once you get to the top, you can pick a decent looking path, but we rode from the top of Burrington Combe onto the Down and then headed clockwise, which was a real mistake, as all the trails through the peat / heather area were either frozen or extremely gloopy, and we spent as much time being bounced all over the place as we did pulling front wheels out of bogs.

We did have a lot of fun, but it was a surprise to see just how much of a mess Black Down is in.

Author:  Teflonshoey [ Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:52 pm ]

I'm up for a ride from Rowberrow and a nice pint of buttcombes, ummm :D .

Author:  JamesM [ Wed May 01, 2013 9:54 pm ]

Sunday or Monday anyone?

Author:  Teflonshoey [ Thu May 02, 2013 9:38 am ]

Ye' Monday could be a go for me. Will have to check with the 'management :oops: '

Author:  Teflonshoey [ Sun May 05, 2013 6:52 pm ]

Anyone want to join me starting at The Swan, Rowberrow, lets say 10 for 1030.
Its gonna be a good day so lets ride on.
Be there or be 'pzd off' you missed out.

'No mud sticks to Teflon shoes'

Mark.

Author:  JamesM [ Mon May 06, 2013 8:40 am ]

10-4

Author:  JamesM [ Mon May 06, 2013 8:42 am ]

That's CB speak for okay :wink:

Author:  NeilM [ Mon May 06, 2013 8:49 am ]

Does anyone still have CB :shock:

Have a good'un,

I'm off for a trail ride with my OH on her 'new' 1991 Marin Bear Valley.

Author:  JamesM [ Mon May 06, 2013 6:57 pm ]

Great ride today, dry dusty trails. Must go again soon!!!

Author:  Teflonshoey [ Tue May 07, 2013 5:30 pm ]

Ditto that last comment exceptional weather and the ride was great too

Cheers James nice one.

Mark.