Burrington Combe / Mendips Meet

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Can we have a show of hands for a meet at Burrington Combe on the Mendips.

We are thinking end of April, and to make life a little easier we will make arrangements to meet at the top of the Combe and ride out onto Blackdown.

Our guide for the day will be Barney Rubble, who apparently has a map of the area tattooed on the back of his hand.

Yeah that sounds like a plan.

Im new to the area so havent riden any of the Mendips,Quantocks or anywhere in the southwest now i think about it so i better start somewhere.

Blackdown / Rowberrow are good. There is a wide variety of terrain from firebrake roads, to single track, to rocky muddy downhill buttock clenchers.

I was up there for a couple of hours yesterday, doing a recce, and had a great time, including getting totally lost and coming out about three miles from where I intended to. :oops:

Plus, there are toilets, a bike shop and a cafe at the bottom of the Combe.

I drew the map that Barney had tattooed on the back of his hand, so I'm definitely up for coming along. I can spend all day argueing with Barney as to which is the best route :D

I normally ride from The Swan pub in Rowberrow.

JamesM":1k4yt7lz said:
I drew the map that Barney had tattooed on the back of his hand, so I'm definitely up for coming along. I can spend all day argueing with Barney as to which is the best route :D

I've ridden a horse out from The Swan, but I don't remember what the climb is like (or even if there is one). I rode from the bottom of the Combe yesterday, and the climb up Liberty Lane (?) is a bit brutal for some of us old guys :oops:

NeilM":2m1vovz6 said:
JamesM":2m1vovz6 said:

I've ridden a horse out from The Swan, but I don't remember what the climb is like (or even if there is one). I rode from the bottom of the Combe yesterday, and the climb up Liberty Lane (?) is a bit brutal for some of us old guys :oops:

Think you mean Link Lane and yeah it's a steep climb. Not what you want when your legs are cold. The climb from Rowberrow is long and gradual plus you can do a few trails before going onto Blackdown. The climb from the top of Burrington is okay. We would end up doing most of the climbs anyway at some point but it's better to start with something a bit less traumatic :LOL: We could then finish the ride by doing some more trials through Rowberrow and then back to The Swan for a pint and a packet of crisps!!!

Link Lane, that's the kiddie.

Damn this failing ...erm, failing...something, hold on, I'll get it....MEMORY!

I like a ride where we discuss the route more than ride, so I'm up for it! :) I always start from the crown in churchhill or the combe, but I'm easy.

Back