Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:46 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:55 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6840
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
Only just found this forum, and thread.

I used to ride on the other side of the combe quite a lot, there's a long climb from a car park to the top and I have ridden up / down the road on my motorbikes for years, even scrabbling about the rocks on a trials (motor)bike many years ago, but I have never considered riding down the side of the combe itself, although the mountain goats look happy enough up there.

There is a cafe and bike shop at the bottom of the combe, so there's always somewhere to wait in comfort for the Air Ambulance to arrive.

Good luck with the ride, and be sure to get some video :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:37 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 pm
Posts: 1728
Location: UK Southwest
So when is the main event?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:48 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:26 pm
Posts: 3752
1 week today ? Sunday morning would suit me 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:42 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:47 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Somerset
I live locally and would welcome a retro ride in the area. There are some great trails on blackdown and in rowberrow warren (the woods on the right as you head up the combe). Let me know


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:54 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6840
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
BarneyRubble wrote:
I live locally and would welcome a retro ride in the area. There are some great trails on blackdown and in rowberrow warren (the woods on the right as you head up the combe). Let me know


I was up there today doing a recce for a possible meet, trying to remember where I used to ride and trying to follow the (blue) route from B.A.B.

I could not keep to the route, found out just how unfit I am, got covered in mud and had a great time.

We should definitely get a retro meet going for Burrington / Rowberrow. Just give me a little time to work on my stamina (or lack thereof) please :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:47 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Somerset
NeilM wrote:
BarneyRubble wrote:
I live locally and would welcome a retro ride in the area. There are some great trails on blackdown and in rowberrow warren (the woods on the right as you head up the combe). Let me know


I was up there today doing a recce for a possible meet, trying to remember where I used to ride and trying to follow the (blue) route from B.A.B.

I could not keep to the route, found out just how unfit I am, got covered in mud and had a great time.

We should definitely get a retro meet going for Burrington / Rowberrow. Just give me a little time to work on my stamina (or lack thereof) please :oops:


I need a bit of time in the saddle as well! Still I know the routes like the back of my hand, so am sure I can put a good circuit together. Perhaps some time in April?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:08 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:47 pm
Posts: 1740
Location: South Somerset
I'll be up for that so count me in. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:34 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6840
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
BarneyRubble wrote:
Perhaps some time in April?


2013? :D

The climb from the shop up the road and onto Rowberrow is an absolute killer. I don't think I could have tackled that when I was young fit and stupid. I don't mind admitting that I had to walk the top half.

We could always meet at the top of Burrington Combe and ride onto Black Down. :oops:

Late April would be good, as the Bristol guys are talking of April 1st for a Leigh Woods ride, I'm away for Easter and have a prior on the 15th.

Perhaps we should start a new thread and see what interest we get.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:47 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Somerset
NeilM wrote:
BarneyRubble wrote:
Perhaps some time in April?


2013? :D

The climb from the shop up the road and onto Rowberrow is an absolute killer. I don't think I could have tackled that when I was young fit and stupid. I don't mind admitting that I had to walk the top half.

We could always meet at the top of Burrington Combe and ride onto Black Down. :oops:
Late April would be good, as the Bristol guys are talking of
April 1st for a Leigh Woods ride, I'm away for Easter and have a prior on the 15th.

Perhaps we should start a new thread and see what interest we get.


We can always meet at the radio masts on top of blackdown and ride from there. Whatever happens though we will have to do some climbing. ;-)

As ever though, it is a case of riding at the speed of the slowest rider, so it's no problem.

If you start a thread I'll chip in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:56 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 pm
Posts: 1728
Location: UK Southwest
I too know that area very well. Any time after mid April would be the best time for me as I'm training for a marathon at the moment. By that time it should (fingers crossed) be dry and dusty. More trails open up when it all dries out and it all gets much faster. It's best to get as much riding in up there between April and late August as alot of it becomes over grown by the end of summer.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group