Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:46 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:55 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Only just found this forum, and thread.

I used to ride on the other side of the combe quite a lot, there's a long climb from a car park to the top and I have ridden up / down the road on my motorbikes for years, even scrabbling about the rocks on a trials (motor)bike many years ago, but I have never considered riding down the side of the combe itself, although the mountain goats look happy enough up there.

There is a cafe and bike shop at the bottom of the combe, so there's always somewhere to wait in comfort for the Air Ambulance to arrive.

Good luck with the ride, and be sure to get some video :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:37 pm 
Retro Guru

So when is the main event?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:48 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

1 week today ? Sunday morning would suit me 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:42 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I live locally and would welcome a retro ride in the area. There are some great trails on blackdown and in rowberrow warren (the woods on the right as you head up the combe). Let me know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:54 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

BarneyRubble wrote:
I live locally and would welcome a retro ride in the area. There are some great trails on blackdown and in rowberrow warren (the woods on the right as you head up the combe). Let me know

I was up there today doing a recce for a possible meet, trying to remember where I used to ride and trying to follow the (blue) route from B.A.B.

I could not keep to the route, found out just how unfit I am, got covered in mud and had a great time.

We should definitely get a retro meet going for Burrington / Rowberrow. Just give me a little time to work on my stamina (or lack thereof) please :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

NeilM wrote:
BarneyRubble wrote:

I was up there today doing a recce for a possible meet, trying to remember where I used to ride and trying to follow the (blue) route from B.A.B.

I could not keep to the route, found out just how unfit I am, got covered in mud and had a great time.

We should definitely get a retro meet going for Burrington / Rowberrow. Just give me a little time to work on my stamina (or lack thereof) please :oops:

I need a bit of time in the saddle as well! Still I know the routes like the back of my hand, so am sure I can put a good circuit together. Perhaps some time in April?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:08 pm 
Retro Guru

I'll be up for that so count me in. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:34 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

BarneyRubble wrote:
Perhaps some time in April?

2013? :D

The climb from the shop up the road and onto Rowberrow is an absolute killer. I don't think I could have tackled that when I was young fit and stupid. I don't mind admitting that I had to walk the top half.

We could always meet at the top of Burrington Combe and ride onto Black Down. :oops:

Late April would be good, as the Bristol guys are talking of April 1st for a Leigh Woods ride, I'm away for Easter and have a prior on the 15th.

Perhaps we should start a new thread and see what interest we get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

NeilM wrote:
BarneyRubble wrote:
Perhaps some time in April?

2013? :D

The climb from the shop up the road and onto Rowberrow is an absolute killer. I don't think I could have tackled that when I was young fit and stupid. I don't mind admitting that I had to walk the top half.

We could always meet at the top of Burrington Combe and ride onto Black Down. :oops:
Late April would be good, as the Bristol guys are talking of
April 1st for a Leigh Woods ride, I'm away for Easter and have a prior on the 15th.

Perhaps we should start a new thread and see what interest we get.

We can always meet at the radio masts on top of blackdown and ride from there. Whatever happens though we will have to do some climbing. ;-)

As ever though, it is a case of riding at the speed of the slowest rider, so it's no problem.

If you start a thread I'll chip in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:56 pm 
Retro Guru

I too know that area very well. Any time after mid April would be the best time for me as I'm training for a marathon at the moment. By that time it should (fingers crossed) be dry and dusty. More trails open up when it all dries out and it all gets much faster. It's best to get as much riding in up there between April and late August as alot of it becomes over grown by the end of summer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next