Purbecks and Beer... Lone Raider report

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Sorry i couldn't commit to this until Saturday. Anyway...the route was based on the medium route on this Singletrack World page

http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/south-west/the-isle-of-purbeck/

My outward route is here

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/354551

Return route here

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/354555

The day dawned fine

P8130022.jpg

but an early start, as the promenade bans bikes after 10:00 led to cycling into an annoying westerly headwind. I got to Sandbanks at 10:00, but both the sun and the ferry had gone

IMAG0009.jpg

On the Studland side ther were some nice tracks, but not many that i would call singletrack; a few too many roads on this route, though plenty of scope to deviate. I didn't push it to far as i was pacing myself, it would be a long day.

P8130023.jpg

P8130026.jpg

P8130025.jpg

The bike was feeling a bit lumpy, so i stopped to take a look. Not what i wanted to find so far from home...

P8130024.jpg

Carried on regardless, just didn't use that gear.

I only had two pushes, one going up onto Nine Barrow Down. Worth it for the views back to Corfe

P8130028.jpg

and over Poole Harbour

P8130030.jpg

P8130029.jpg

The descent of off Nine Barrow Down was hard, and left my arms aching. Very bumpy, and with a small, unexpected rock garden to focus my thoughts. The mewling of a bird of prey lightened my heart though.

The other push was up to the obilisk on Studland

P8130033.jpg

From there on it was down hill all the way

P8130034.jpg

to Old Harry's Rocks

P8130035.jpg

P8130036.jpg

P8130037.jpg

From the rocks it was a short ride to the Bankes Armes and...

IMAG0010.jpg

Never tasted so good.

IMAG0012.jpg

Music was variable, beers were plentyful, as were the ciders.

I left the Bankes at 16:30, and made the ferry for 17:00. Scooting along the prom, a Special decided to just point out that although i wasn't actually riding my bike, i should still look out for children and dogs :roll:

A last beer was needed, although the bar wasn't that friendly...

IMAG0013.jpg

Thirty three miles, and a great day out. Visit Purbeck, it is lovely.

Dave

Have done a similar route a few times over the years ... a great day out and well worth the 200 mile round trip :shock:

That 3 mile constant descent from Barrow down to the Bankes arms on the hard packed chalk is sublime and super quick under the tires. Just watch out for the sharp-ish left at the bottom other wise you'll get dead/wet.

the 5th photo looks like the path that runs next to the burbake camp site, worth remembering if you have to come a long way

I did a similar route on Friday night.
There are a few hidden gems along that route that you didn't get to ride, but give me a shout next time you're this way and I'll gladly go over for a spin and show you.
No shame in walking up MMF1 and MMF2 ;)

I've done this route many times, although since I only have a road bike, it's always been on foot! Makes me wish I had a mountain bike...

Back