IOW 30/01 aftermath

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Now that my legs have recovered enough to walk to the pc, I'll get a quick overview of yesterdays IOW ride up!

Four hearty souls met at Lymington for the 09:45 crossing to Yarmouth.
We'd been sat down for about 2 minutes before the conversation was onto celebrity fist idol (Heathy is always with us in spirit :LOL: ).
With the tone set, we decided to be naughty and ride the part of the island which has been designated no cycling (shhhh).

We headed off for the fort that overlooks The Needles. This was a mix of nice singletrack and some short road hops.
We arrived at the fort wth me constantly moaning about my SPD's (I've admited defeat...I'm a toe clip man. Always have been, always will be!) to be met with the most amazing view of The Needles.
We stopped for some pics and then decended the 'helter skelter' down to the car park below.
We then joined the trail up the long (killer!) hill to the Tennyson monument.
With lungs bursting from our chests, we arrived at the monument and had enough time to rest (and perv at a very attractive walker!) before a nice long grassy decent. It was here that the strength of the wind hit us.
With eyes streaming and faces stinging (and not from my last nights lamb madras...this time!) we arrived at the bottom and had a short road hop to the bottom of the golf course with a huge climb ahead of us.

Those who have been will know that this isn't a nice climb, but yesterday it was into a head wind!
A short stop half way allowed us to catch our breath before we continued with the 'what goes up' nature of IOW riding.
After many more leg sapping climbs , the one after the chalk decent being murder (or murderz, for the benefit of Daddy Wu ;) ) we were rewarded with an excellent long singletrack downhill through the woods.
With faces beaming, we had another long, winding climb before the next, slightly shorter, singletrack decent.

It was then time to explore a new route that Jonny had planned.
We started off up hill and into the woods through a mix of mud and frozen mud! After a while, we emerged near the top of the golf course so had the excellent chalky downhill to look forward too, then the short (but strangely knackering!) spin back to the ferry.
Here Jonny created a new food group involving flaming hot monster munch and the thinest (and most expensive!) chicken sandwich know to man :D

A great days riding that certainly took it out of the legs The hills, with added mud, of the IOW are an amazing days exercise.
Yes it was cold...yes it was windy...and yes, I've got a hardly used pair of crank bros pedals for sale now ;)

If you've read this far then you deserve some pics....

2581e49a.jpg

7eeeabbb.jpg

068c1877.jpg

a9ac583b.jpg

0d9d4fea.jpg

bd05e719.jpg

a34385e0.jpg

2022753a.jpg

fe8896e6.jpg

69f28b63.jpg

dc21141e.jpg

d2ca4e06.jpg

it was a cool day! :cool: i have only just finally got round to posting as i left the IOW, got home got showered and then got piked up for a few beers in London!

which i discovered wasn't ideal as i didn't get a chance to eat anything until a pizza at about midnight! luckily it was a mellow evening and not a 10 pinter!! :LOL:

awesome day, with the exception of a freezing wind that numbed my face!, my legs weren't going that well being at the back of the bunch either but i'm sure you lot liked having a rest waiting for me! :LOL:

i think the newer tracks we found will be a good addition to the next ride as i don't like to repeat sections if possible and these parts make it a bit more of a loop as opposed to point to point.

i won't add anymore pictures as mine are almost the same as Makster's pics but here's a link to my video footage, only 1.38mins but it shows the new descent and a puncture change! ;) :LOL:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 1070049762

that link might work, i'm not sure though

Looks great as always, the weather was spot on yesterday you lucky chaps. Great pics through the stem, will look out for it in POTM ;)

Jonny's rides always see to centre round food :LOL:

Seeing these pics is making me look forward to the summer :cool:

Wish I was there! :cool:

Certainly hope to be if you go over again? Bit of a Trek from Brum, but looks awesome...

Back