july 11th isle of wight aftermath thread!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
awsome day :D i'll give an overview of the day but add some pics tomorrow as i'm absolutely knackered!!!

we met up at the lymington ferry terminal about 945am, as usual hands were shaken and introductions made, i should add that with the rather hasty announcement thread for this ride there was less notice for people to come and as such less of the usual suspects were there. my apologies :oops:

the list is as follows, me(jb666), tintin, retroklein, kingsalsa, matt, adam, dan, craig(streetwars), mike, and one more whose name escapes me but i'm thinking adam! apologies if i am wrong! :oops:

anyway we got on the ferry and all the usual topics of conversation started, bikes, girls, bikes, girls, bikes, girls etc, you get the idea!!! :LOL:

we launched ourselves off the ferry and straight onto the causeway and rode towards the freshwater golf course, it's a relatively hard climb but everyone got up it fine, then there is a quite harsh descent (especially for a rigid rider!!) after this there is a long slog up limestone down followed by a grass downhill, this trail is called the tennyson trail. we then climbed up a gravel climb and headed for a well deserved downhill at which point tintin got a puncture, with that fixed we continued on and went towards the start of a climb up towards the chillerton mast where i issued a challenge to the riders.

basically i said i would pay for dinner for the first rider to get to the top of the next climb with out walking, dabbing was allowed but contenders had to ride all the way . . . it is a climb i think i personnaly have only ever climbed 3 times myself in years gone by and have never completed, tintin, king salsa, adam and matt took up the challenge, and i was well impressed that kingsalsa did it!! :shock: :D no one else managed the climb, which is not surprising really!! after another small climb we eventually and thankfully ended up at the lunch stop after 17 miles of nearly all off road riding. :p

vast quatities of drink and food was ordered and quickly consumed at which point the conversation went something like this . . .

bikes, girls, dumb people, benefit cheats, politics, bikes, filth, hitler(strangely!) bikes, girls and "god! do we have to get back on our bikes and ride up THAT hill now??!!"

this part of the ride was going to be easier as overall this leg is shorter and has overall less climbing, but what climbing is there is still hard! tintin managed to double puncture somehow and we stopped to fix that then carried on to catch up with the rest. we all then met up at the bottom of the golfcourse descent and aimed ourselves back to the ferry where we rolled up just in time to get the 5 o'clock crossing. everyone was pretty dead by this time!!! :LOL: so to me that makes it a good ride!! :D

hands were shaken again and i then dropped matt and adam off at their local pub where we had a quick pint before i legged it back home to get sorted out to go for a curry with tintin in brockenhurst!!

all in all a damn good day!! :D

here's some of my pics :D

Attachments

• the view.jpg
    the view.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,284
  • tintin.jpg
    tintin.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,284
  • long slog.jpg
    long slog.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,284
  • tintin and streetwars.jpg
    tintin and streetwars.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,284
a few more :D

Attachments

• streetwars has a power stick!.jpg
    streetwars has a power stick!.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,283
  • kingsalsa takes the win.jpg
    kingsalsa takes the win.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,283
  • start of the dinner race!.jpg
    start of the dinner race!.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,283
Don't forget 'retroklein' Klein won retro ride of the meet. Nice early 93 :cool:

Back