Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Lincolnshire Area Group
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68734

Author:  Pickle [ Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Lincolnshire Area Group

I'm seeing more and more Lincolnshire guys on here.

If any of you are interested in forming a Chat and Rides thread, post up here and I'll move this over.

I know a few of you have ridden with me before, so lets see if we can get something going.

Edit: 9/8/09 - moved to Area Groups

Author:  Mike [ Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm just down the road at Tattershall, but I'm more of a roadie these days. I guess the Flatlands around here have converted me! I'd be interested to find out some good MTB routes though.

Mike

Author:  Andy B [ Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:49 am ]
Post subject: 

*waves*

Mornin Pickle!

I've also noticed a lot of lincs. riders too

Would be cool to get some regular rides sorted.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:58 am ]
Post subject: 

I'm very up for this. My parents have just moved into the country so i can organise a retro ride from their house. A warning to others who haven't ridden with me before- i am captain slow! Also out of action for 3 weeks under doctors orders due to stretched ligament. Gutted

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:28 am ]
Post subject: 

Not Lincolnshire but there are a few of us along the north side of the Humber, so not much further north than Lewis, just a damn big bridge.

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:47 am ]
Post subject: 

Lincoln based and up for a meet!

Note if this is doggin i anit playing!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  Pickle [ Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Good stuff boyz 8)

Will move this over and see what we can get going then!

I know there are a few others who may also join in the party; longun, NickD and MJN. All good lads who are around us too :wink:

Author:  perry [ Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

http://www.bicyclemania.co.uk/challengeindex.htm

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

I like that! Shall try and arrange time off work (its bank hol wk end and its BSB @ Cadwell)!

Author:  perry [ Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

stevek told me about them ages ago . i missed the 4th but am hoping to do the 5th

Author:  lewis1641 [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

fluffychicken - is there much riding to be had north of the river? never really ventured that far other that "little switzerland"

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Brantingham/Melton/South Cave/Beverley/Riplingham and inside that area is ok, well last time I went properly was a long long time ago and things may have changed and I'm older now, so cutting new tracks will be more difficult.
I haven't managed to get out much :( but I shall be now I have a ridable bike again.

It's not difficult riding, more XC type and roads. Nothing like up in the moors though.
Not-young, unfit and slow people will still find some of it knackering*, if not just getting out of Melton if you go there.

Good for a jolly out and casual retrobike riding. Quarries where always fun but the best where south bank (South Ferriby) and I think the police now use them as shooting ranges. Air Ambulance was an essential tool for them though.

As for people here there is Me (Haltemprice area), chrisv40 (Howden area), neebsta (South Cave area), Tomahawk kid (Hull somewhere), i-am-iron-man (middle of Hull) and a few others I have forgotten but don't see here much.
Of course neither of us have afaik had a ride together. chrisv40 is super fit as he keeps telling me :wink:

* tested and proved by me recently, I personally think the hills have got longer and steeper then BitD :D

Author:  neilll [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

ignore this

Author:  MJN [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

That'll be why I don't ride the mtb in Lincolnshire very often but the Peak District is only 45mins away :wink:

Author:  Pickle [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think most of you have done my loop, so its about time another localish ride was had.

Anyone know any routes round the Wolds area?

Author:  stevek [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pickle wrote:
Anyone know any routes round the Wolds area?

If it's the Wolds you're looking at I'd be very interested, I'm only available every other weekend though :(

The Wolds is my stomping ground, I ride there week in week out (just a humble 46 miles on the ss yesterday) and it'd be nice to show you guys some Lincolnshire hills. If you'd like me to show you around let me know what sort of distance you're looking at and I'll figure something out for you.

Cheers
Steve
:)

Author:  MJN [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yesterdays ride sounds fine,I did a road ride out that way on yesterday,the only place around here with hills(and lots of fields :cry: )

Author:  Antiquekona [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well as I actually live bang in the middle of the Wolds at Donington on Bain and back many moons ago set up the Caistor Off Road Club - had quite a few members back then (mid 90s). Now just getting back into the swing and know most of the good routes around here.

Hoping to do the bicyclemania too.

So would be great to have a Lincs get together IMO - especially around here as it is the only part of Lincolnshire that has a few hills (for going down obviously).

:lol:

Author:  stevek [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Donington on Bain was one of the places I rode through yesterday, came via Withcall to the top of D on B on the BW that goes past the old dishes (you'll know what I mean) heading towards Biscathorpe. I was pretty pooped by then. :oops:

Author:  stevek [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm cursing my shifts as I won't be able to do this next bicyclemania event. It'll be the first one I've missed since it started and I was hoping for a better run than the one that's just gone as I had a puncture on the very first descent!! :evil:

Author:  Pickle [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

Cool Steve, that would be good, let us know some dates and a potential meet location and we'll see what we can organise.

A gentle meet to suit all abilities would be good :wink:

Author:  Antiquekona [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ahhh - yes, not bad that ride over to Biscathorpe.
If you took the first track off to the left thats a great little DH right to the back of my house although being classed as a FP one obviously wouldnt do that sort of thing :wink:

Author:  stevek [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Antiquekona wrote:
If you took the first track off to the left thats a great little DH right to the back of my house although being classed as a FP one obviously wouldnt do that sort of thing :wink:

Been there, done that :wink: . Going up it's good too! :D

Author:  Antiquekona [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Have you ever fallen off in the fords at Biscathorpe - quite refreshing :roll:

Author:  stevek [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pickle wrote:
Cool Steve, that would be good, let us know some dates and a potential meet location and we'll see what we can organise.

A gentle meet to suit all abilities would be good :wink:

Okay Jon, like I said I work every other weekend and have just had the weekend off so that makes it easy to sort out. But... I'm not available w/end of the 4/5/6 Sept as we have shut down work on, & 18/19/20 Sept as I'm 'probably' away then. The Viking challenge is the 4 Oct and I'll be doing that also.

I ride every weekend I get off and mid week when I don't so if a mid week ride is preferable...?

Despite what people say the Wolds isn't easy peasy, OK they're not big, long hills but they are steep and do get you breathing hard so a little fitness is required. If those interested can make it known what they prefer to do it would make it easy for me to plan a route to suit. :D

Meeting points could be Willingham Woods near Market Rasen or right in the Heart of the Wolds, say somewhere like Belchford, Donington, Binbrook, Tealby etc. See what's preferable for most, I'm pretty easy as I'm there all the time. :)

Author:  stevek [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

Antiquekona wrote:

I rode through the both of them yesterday as I was so bloody hot, made sure I kept it straight though as yes... I have fallen in one of them! (Not my fault, for some inexplicable reason my mate decided to brake quite hard immediately before the ford. I was riding no handed just behind him at the time and had to swerve to avoid him on the slime under the water - Splash! D'oh!) :oops:

Author:  stevek [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Antiquekona wrote:

Actually, I've fallen off on lots of the trails in the Wolds, they can be quite a challenge when you ride there all year round in all weathers. :lol:

Author:  MJN [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

If a ride goes ahead I'll most probably be able to make it,as I said I've done alot of roadie stuff out that way but not much mtb so a ride with guys who know the area might be 'eye opening' :D

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm interested! Mid week is better for me as i run a bar! The Wolds sound good! Gonna try and make a trip to Sherwood pines soon if anyones interested as well?

Author:  NickD [ Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd be up for a ride, but I'll have to get my fitness up.

Sherwood Pines is always welcome too - it's just down the road from me :lol:

Author:  Antiquekona [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think we need to aim for around the 20 mile mark max as there will be different levels of fitness - mine probably the worst at the moment.

IMO any route around the Wolds should include the downhill into Walesby and the pub in Tealby.
Normanby le Wold start - Walesby - Tealby - Willingham Woods - tthrough and out to Claxby is a nice little circuit - maybe add on a loop before that ?

Author:  Andy B [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

sounds like a good plan

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

The pub sounds good!

Author:  stevek [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

So we're talking 20 miles or thereabouts.

If everybody wants a pint after the ride, a rendezvous at the Kings Head in Tealby would be easiest place to meet I reckon. Personally, I'd prefer my pint after the ride and not during but I'll go with the flow and if it's a half way stop at the pub we can work that in. If more folk just want to ride and not have a pint then it may be easier to meet at the big CP at Willingham Woods?

AntiqueKona, when you said start at Normanby did you mean at the foot of the hill? That would be a rather rude start to the ride! :lol: Let's get the heart rate going before we ascend that bugger. :D

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

Surely that's why we have camelbaks? You can fit at least 2 special brews in one! What's the date and time boys?

Author:  Pickle [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

A 20 mile route sounds good, especially as I am not at my best at the moment.....working hard and not riding as much as I'd like at the moment :roll:

Just remember not to clash with the Peaks Meet on 26 September :wink:

Author:  stevek [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Working the 26 Sept :(

Author:  Andy B [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Stag do on 12/13th, Wedding on 26th (not mine!)

Author:  Antiquekona [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Have just spent over an hour pondering over an OS map. Maybe you can help Steve ? as you have done most of the routes too.

If we started at Willy Woods - head NW to the B1203 Tealby Rd - take a left and then take the bridleway on the right which eventually crosses a road and a railway line then hooks up to the Walesby Rd - turn right - then first bridleway on left (which is fun if wet if I remember) turn right at road and then prepare to be cursed for the road to claxby and the killer climb up to Normanby le Wold - then the good bit of bridleway that traverses the hill and drops down into Walesby (my favourite bit). Through Walesby taking Catkin Lane with option of a right turn bridleway - or to Tealby - then I am stuck - as that may be too short?
Everything else tagged on makes it look too long - eg Stainton le Vale - Thoresway stretch - or even including the "dry valley" down into Rothwell.

:?: :?:

Author:  longun [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

date n place n im there :D hopefully lol :roll:

Author:  stevek [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah, that'd be way too short fella, I'm thinking that if it's a W.Woods start then through the woods from the CP to Risby (which i call Ventricle bursting hill - don't be scared :wink: ) to the tops and Stainton le Vale, Thoresway, Rothwell, Normanby Dales, descent via your fave to Walesby, poss Walesby Moor or back to the woods via Walesby hill and Hamilton hill. Just over 20 miles I reckon.

If it's another starting point I'll have another think.

Any requests just ask :D

Steve

Author:  Pickle [ Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Right Steve, sounds wicked!

As this is your baby, you can nominate the date and we'll all work round you :wink:

Author:  Antiquekona [ Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

I agree with above post. Will meet you at the top of Risby. :wink:

Any date should be fine with me

Author:  stevek [ Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

OK chaps, I'm pretty flexible but I think we're talking weekend here yeah?

If it's the weekend is Fri, Sat or Sun the best day for you?

Preferred start time?

Unfortunately this month I'm only available the w/end of 21/22/23 (one of these days would be preferable :) ) and in Sept I'm pretty goosed for time with extra weekend work gobbling up my time and trying to squeeze a late hol in. There may be a slight possibility of the w/end of 11/12/13 Sept...but it is slight. After that we're looking at Oct and don't forget the Viking Challenge is on the 4th! Could do 16/17/18 of Oct though.

Steve

Author:  Antiquekona [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Oh dear - up in N.Yorksire 21st/22nd/23rd : :(

Author:  MJN [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Antiquekona wrote:
Oh dear - up in N.Yorksire 21st/22nd/23rd : :(

Same here!

Author:  Pickle [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

21 September is my 30th birthday.........

Doubt I'll be riding :wink:

Author:  stevek [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dropping like flies. :wink:

21/22/23 of this month Jon not Sept. :) Any one of those days.

If none of those we'll have to move on to one of the next available dates that I've posted further back in the thread, I'm constrained by the hours/days I work unfortunately. Unless someone else can act as guide at a time that's more convenient for those interested?

Did the proposed ride today, 21 miles in the sun, very nice. :)

Author:  NickD [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

Won't be able to do those dates I'm afraid. I have a date with an engine crane, an engine and my car.

Author:  Andy B [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think* I can do the Saturday the 22nd of August, can't do the 21st or 23rd.

*nothing springs to mind about that date, so I'm assuming I'm free ;)

Might be able to drag a mate out with his retro Stumpy too.

Author:  MJN [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Andy B wrote:

Are you not doing DrS's ride on August 22nd?

Author:  Andy B [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

MJN wrote:
Andy B wrote:

Are you not doing DrS's ride on August 22nd?
Hadn't planned to, need to keep costs down at the mo (got an expensive month coming up Stag do & Wedding & folks Wedding anniversary), so a local ride is a go-er, but travelling further to rides is not gonna happen for a bit.

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Thinking of a blast tuesday or wednesday early evening! Anyone about? and where to go? Nowt to major as i'm a wee bit out O shape!

Author:  lewis1641 [ Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:29 am ]
Post subject: 

Sadly i'm still out of action with my shoulder. Hurts like hell to pull back on the bars still

Author:  Antiquekona [ Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

Did a nice 20 mile loop from Donington on Bain to Ranby - Hemmingby - fulletby top - Scamblesby - Asterby - home.

Once again the bit from Fulletby to Scamblesby had all been ploughed up!! Are farmers allowed to do that?

Author:  lewis1641 [ Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

i'm not sure if they are allowed to but they all do it!

i have befriended a retrobiker in brigg. he contacted me after seeing my kona frame on ebay. he has just bought a retro marin and kona of some sort and is keen to get back in the saddle and get in shape.

is anyone doing any riding on sunday? i'm not sure when i am free yet but my shoulder is well on the mend and i fancy a bimble.

BE WARNED I AM VERY SLOW!!!

Author:  longun [ Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

scunny to cleggy charity ride for help the heroes sunday bud,hopefully its still on if your up for it

Author:  stevek [ Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Antiquekona wrote:
Did a nice 20 mile loop from Donington on Bain to Ranby - Hemmingby - fulletby top - Scamblesby - Asterby - home.

Once again the bit from Fulletby to Scamblesby had all been ploughed up!! Are farmers allowed to do that?

Yeah, sadly they're allowed to plough over cross field BW's, they have to reinstate the BW within so many days but they just scatter a load of bark chippings or the like over it. Not good, avoid like the plague. I remember riding the track you're on about in mid Winter, bloody nightmare! Riding until the wheels wouldn't turn through the frame anymore cos they were so caked in mud. Then it's push, carry and drag the bike (which by now must weigh about 50 pounds heavier) to the end of the track and then attack it with sticks to scrape as much mud as possible off it. :evil: Grrr.

Can't you turn SW at Wood Farm and take the old Roman road then hang a right to get back on track to Asterby Top Farm? Not the best of tracks but better than the main road or the mud fest.

http://streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=52800 ... 76515&lm=0

OK, It's a little bit cheeky and it's better coming from the other direction but I've used it a fair bit over the years and never (touch wood) been challenged. :roll:

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

longun wrote:
scunny to cleggy charity ride for help the heroes sunday bud,hopefully its still on if your up for it

i now have the mother of all road trips to do sunday- got a million sets of alloys to collect.

is the ride on or off road? if on do you have slicks? if not you can borrow mine

Author:  mikef350 [ Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:14 pm ]
Post subject:  hi all.yet another newbie here

hey up guys

iam the guy who lewis was talking about.iam also another outa shape ex mountain biker but readeing all theese posts and seing how much interest is still in theese classis bikes is makeing me want to get back into this sport bigtime.I will keep my eyes open for a date that we are all settled on then.i can make most days as i have just lost my job.

Author:  Pickle [ Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Are us lot going to get our arses in gear and have a ride together?

If any of you fancy a 3hr jaunt, let me know and we can zap my loop and have some grub afterwards. Just give me a few days to shake of my post Peaks man flu.....aaaachoo <<sniff>> :(

Author:  stevek [ Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm out tomorrow, the Viking Challenge calls, doing it single speed again.

Author:  Pickle [ Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

stevek wrote:

Wicked, good luck mate!

Tech Q: what ratio are you running? I am quite liking 32x16 at the moment.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

If anyone can get to brigg for half 9 in the morning i'm doing a very steady 10 miles on my single speed as that's the only rideable bike i have. I'm really not fast at all though

Author:  Pickle [ Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pickle wrote:
Just give me a few days to shake of my post Peaks man flu.....aaaachoo <<sniff>> :(

Doh, di'm dot derry dell dat dhe doment.

Dorry....

Author:  stevek [ Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Pickle wrote:
stevek wrote:

Wicked, good luck mate!

Tech Q: what ratio are you running? I am quite liking 32x16 at the moment.

Thanks!

36:16, gets me around the Wolds okay.

Author:  Antiquekona [ Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:55 am ]
Post subject: 

I have seriously got the Lincolnshire blues at the moment and have spent the last 2 weekends up at Dalby. However my "away pass" is likely to expire this week so if anyone wants a ride out from Donington-on Bain next Sunday 11th they are welcome to tag along. If any takers I will do a route to suit. Pace however will be steady and not a training day with any moaning about choice of route swiftly dealt with by an old Ringle quill stem in the spokes :wink: :lol:

Author:  Pickle [ Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Steve, how'd you get on mate?

Author:  Andy B [ Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Might be up for a ride next Sunday, if I'm not working

Pickle, have you still got the Martian Death Bug?

Author:  Pickle [ Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Andy B wrote:
Pickle, have you still got the Martian Death Bug?

Final stages......slightly bunged up but 90% better than Friday! :lol:

Author:  stevek [ Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pickle wrote:
Steve, how'd you get on mate?

Dunno when the results come out but I was 10 mins slower than when I did it 2 years ago with the same gearing. I was a bit slow off the mark as I had a call of nature just 5 mins before the start, when I got back to the start line I was way back, must've took 5 minutes to get across the line! :)

There was a bit of wind left over from yesterday that took it's toll across the open space of the old aerodrome but other than that it was a grand ride. I had the pleasure of meeting Perry from this board after the event, nice guy. 8)

My computer said I took 2 hrs 26 min for 32 miles. 36:16 gearing on the Moots ss.

Author:  mikef350 [ Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pickle wrote:
Are us lot going to get our arses in gear and have a ride together?

If any of you fancy a 3hr jaunt, let me know and we can zap my loop and have some grub afterwards. Just give me a few days to shake of my post Peaks man flu.....aaaachoo <<sniff>> :(

hi mate

Iam in the process of selling off the rest of my vintage tamiya rc collection then iam going to buy a decent push bike then I will definateley be up for some rideing with ya.i have me kona AA but not that into it so going to sell it on in bits.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well the brigg collective went for a ride this morning. I got a text from mike above last night saying he was thinking of selling his bike to buy a toy car. I was having none of that so we arranged a ride! We did a few miles round the locale and i've added a new track to my ride bank. It was great to be out on a couple of old bikes. Not ridden with someone else for ages. Got back and had a brew and spent an hour swapping parts between each other. All in all a grand morning.

Author:  mikef350 [ Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:09 pm ]
Post subject:  hey up mate

Yey it was great to finaly get out hey mate.nearly sold my TOY cars as you put it lol so will be getting my self a better rig matey.We need to get out more fella.

Author:  Antiquekona [ Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:48 am ]
Post subject: 

Ooops - how rude :shock: Will read previous posts properly next time. I will re-phrase my previous post to:
Hopefully Mr Pickle will be well for this coming weekend as I would be up for a jaunt.
If not - then if anyone wants to tag on with me for a Wolds bimble from Donington on Bain they would be more than welcome.

Sorry Mr Pickle - will put specs on next time to see that you had already offered to organise a ride.

Author:  Antiquekona [ Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:47 am ]
Post subject: 

Is there a ride then tomorow?
:?

Author:  stevek [ Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sadly not for me - I'm at work. :(

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

i'm riding with mikef350, hopefully at sheerwood pines but don't know when as it depends on my wife working and another mates movements

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm off out on Tuesday or Wednesday (not sure yet) Doing a loop starting in Clumber heading out to Sherwood Pines and back. Some nice climbs and cool single track decents. Time TBC n all.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

earliest i coule get to clumber midweek would be 6.30 so not a lot of light left!

Author:  Antiquekona [ Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Think I will just sod off up to Dalby for the 3rd weekend running then.

Maybe one day a Lincolnshire ride might happen :roll:

Have a good weekend. :D

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

if you want to ride with us you can. pm me your number and i will let you know where and when we will be riding from. wont be anything too adventurous though

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well we made it out. Mikef350, myself and my mate gareth. didn't have time for the pines so we headed out to burton on stather. Not been there for years. Dropped down through the woods then up a stupidly steep road hill into the village. Across the village then back down the hill but offroad this time towards flixborough. Past a burnt out van into atkinson's warren and into SAND.gareth decided he'd had enough of conventional riding so hit a tree stump and threw himself over the bars. Bike was fine. 2 mins later and mike's front mech had had enough. Que unscheduled 1x7 conversion. We decided to head back via a pub for a swift one. 20 ish miles, One crash, one mechanical, one burnt out van, no chavs on motor bikes, one bit of abuse from a local middle aged woman(because we pushed bikes up hill) no punctures and no dog poo. Great ride. Sorry for the lack of paragraphs, on my phone.

Author:  MJN [ Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

I only managed 70miles with the roadies :wink:

Author:  Antiquekona [ Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:39 am ]
Post subject: 

I ended up with a walk with wife and son instead but got an hours ride in this morning back from the garage where car is having an MOT.
Was pootling up a country lane when I heard what I thought was another cyclist behing. However, turned around to see a flipin doberman in full flight - its claws making a strange metallic noise on the tarmac :shock: . Never had my heart beat that high in ages as it kept running and snapping at my back wheel. Luckily it gave up chase after what seemed like an eternity and a lot of shouting at from me.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:42 am ]
Post subject: 

short notice but sunday morning i am planning to go to my parents in east ravendale - near grimsby on the edge of the lincolnshire wolds. there are 3 or 4 of us at the minute and all lacking in fitness. i'm likely to be on a single speed too so if you are fit dont expect a workout! the route we are planning is only about 10 to 15 miles as i dont have much time.

if you are interested pm me your number and we can arrange something. cheers, dave

Author:  Pickle [ Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sorry guys, I cant do anything as I'm home alone with mini-me all weekend and he cant ride a bike quite yet :wink:

Author:  Andy B [ Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pickle wrote:
Sorry guys, I cant do anything as I'm home alone with mini-me all weekend and he cant ride a bike quite yet :wink:
stick him in your camelback, sorted ;)

Author:  Pickle [ Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Andy B wrote:
Pickle wrote:
stick him in your camelback, sorted ;)

:shock:

8) :lol:

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Terrible ride today. Went for a bimble on the edge of the wolds. The wind was so strong it was hard work going downhill. In fact it was easier going up with the wind behind than going down the same hill into the wind. Was nice to be out though and good to show off some trails to mike and his new cannondale. I was struggling to keep up all ride and put it down to last nights beer and generally feeling a tad hungover (sorry mike, i lied!) however i now feel like i am dying and have classic 'flu is coming' symptoms so i now feel i rode like a hero! Highlight of the day- mike's wheelie going off course due to the wind. Lowlight, mike waking me up at 7.30 as he'd forgotten the clocks went back.

Author:  Pickle [ Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

lewis1641 wrote:
mike waking me up at 7.30 as he'd forgotten the clocks went back.

<<<<< woke me up at 5.30am as he normally gets up at 6.30am :roll:

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Trouble is he's my riding partner, not my son!

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Off out this coming Sunday! Thinking either Sherwood Pines or Wolds??? If Wolds will need a guide. Thinking about 1pm start? Any takers?

Author:  lewis1641 [ Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'll have to give this a big fat possibly! Won't be able to commit till saturday

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

Bring out the ti Dave! Gooo on! Your turn to buy the beers as well :lol:

Author:  Antiquekona [ Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Oh bother. Off to Glentress this weekend for the first time, otherwise I would as Sex Three has been having a bit of surgery recently and could do with a bit of a run before Farleton Fell - any of you guys going on that one?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=548921#548921

Author:  lewis1641 [ Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:53 am ]
Post subject: 

I'll do my best to join you but i'm struggling for transport at the minute- head is off my van, again. I won't know what i'll be able to do till sunday. I'll also slow you down-i'm a good anchor!

Author:  lewis1641 [ Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

its looking unlikely i can do anything other than a local blast this weekend. work sat and have to go to birmingham sun

Author:  Pickle [ Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

Guys

Lincoln Ride planned for 21 November, please all check the Rides thread.

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

You realise thats the date for the Premier Stages. Rally @ Sherwood Pines, Blidworth etc etc :?

Author:  lewis1641 [ Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

anyone have any plans for this sunday?

Author:  Andy B [ Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

lewis1641 wrote:
anyone have any plans for this Sunday?
Probably not riding on Sunday after the Dalby ride to Langdale for the rallying on the Saturday http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Author:  lewis1641 [ Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

i'd forgotten about that - sounds like a great day. if we go grimsby way on sunday i'll drop you a text - wont be anything too challenging!

Author:  Andy B [ Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

lewis1641 wrote:
i'd forgotten about that - sounds like a great day. if we go grimsby way on sunday i'll drop you a text - wont be anything too challenging!
Cool. Cheers.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Took the rocky mountain out today for a test ride with mikef350 and we managed to take a camera. Pics to follow. Did 20 and a bit single speed miles and just enjoying a post ride bath at the mo! Good news is i'm happy with the rocky mountain. Bad news, i'm definately not as fit as i'd like. I'd say there was about 5 miles of riding on grass and it nearly killed me. When my fitness is up a bit i'll sort a route out for the lincolnshire masses to see just how flat scunthorpe is! We did part of a route i half remembered from my teens. Got a little lost at one point and found a not too happy farmer. His attitude was pretty poor. Yes xe were on his land-chewed up track from his 4x4 so not doing any damage but we only approached him to ask for assistance. He was alright in the end though and acknowledged the signs are pretty poor. Right, best get out of this bath and put the kettle on!

Author:  MJN [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

There are some really hostile land owners round here,as you've just discovered!when your fiyness improves give me a shout and I'll show you the mostly legal stuff,you can do quite a decent loop around these parts with plenty of escape routes and the minimum of trouble :D

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

yeah that would be cool.

a few pics of today

mike and his too shiney gt, broughton woods

morning is breaking, broughton woods

lost, risby warren (ish)

Author:  mikef350 [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

god i need to loose some weight and have a shave lol.great ride today buddy :D

Author:  MJN [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Erm,how do you get lost round here?! :lol:

Sorry been riding round these parts waaaay too long(20+ years :oops: )

Author:  mikef350 [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

well when you been rideing them them 20 mins its pretty easy

Author:  MJN [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

:lol: :D

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

when i say "lost", i knew roughly where were were and where we needed to be, just wasnt sure where the bridleway went.

when i lived in winterton i used the bridleway regularly but they have altered it slightly and we hit it the "wrong way round".

Author:  mikef350 [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

lewis1641 wrote:
when i say "lost", i knew roughly where were were and where we needed to be, just wasnt sure where the bridleway went.

when i lived in winterton i used the bridleway regularly but they have altered it slightly and we hit it the "wrong way round".

tel them the truth dave,you didnt have a clue.after the map he got his sat nav out :lol:

Author:  MJN [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

I was only ribbing :D It wasn't Risby where you had the run in was it?

Author:  mikef350 [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

part of it was :D

Author:  MJN [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

That's about the only place I've really had hassle,I use to take the land rover track shortcut where your supposed to follow the wall and regularly got stopped,even though following the wall there was no trail but the shortcut had a well defined doubletrack,the guy used to say we were causing errosion,after chasing after us in his Defender!It wasn't worth arguing over and I think he enjoyed the 'thrill of the chase'!

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

Is that at the derelict cottage? We took the right fork but then missed where it cuts back to the left and met the farmer and about 9 dogs at another derelict building on the opposite side of the field. He spun us around and told us where we were supposed to be. Went back to the first derelict cottage and he's driven round in his path churner to put us right again! He wasn't agro, just a miserable bugger. If they are that bothered why not put clearer signs up

Author:  Pickle [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:36 am ]
Post subject: 

Anyone fancy attempting the Lincoln Ride again early in the New Year?

There is the possibility of some new trails to add, just need to pre-ride them :lol:

Also, Dave, can we make a ride of your loops?

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:29 am ]
Post subject: 

I'm up for a lincoln ride, work permitting. We can make a ride out my end of the county but there are possibly better people to organise one. What sort of distance should it be? Are people happy with a few sections on public footpath? I've never had a problem riding them. I'm sure i could sort a route but there will probably be a bit of road involved between trails. I could do a barnetby/kirmington ride but a scunthorpe ride would probably best be organised by mjn or longun. I'm happy to do my best though

Author:  Pickle [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:50 am ]
Post subject: 

lewis1641 wrote:
I'm up for a lincoln ride, work permitting. We can make a ride out my end of the county but there are possibly better people to organise one. What sort of distance should it be? Are people happy with a few sections on public footpath? I've never had a problem riding them. I'm sure i could sort a route but there will probably be a bit of road involved between trails. I could do a barnetby/kirmington ride but a scunthorpe ride would probably best be organised by mjn or longun. I'm happy to do my best though

Dave, I think the best thing to do would be you and I meet up, do a planning ride then the pair of us can coordinate it.

Best get a route in mind of about 2hrs. Give me a few dates you can do and lets get it booked, January would be best I'd say.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:55 am ]
Post subject: 

A route that takes you 2 hours will be very different to one that takes me 2 hours! I've got a few possibilities in mind. I'll study the map a bit then give you a shout and you can pop over one sunday and we'll give it a go. Are you thinking january for the recon mission or the ride?

Author:  Pickle [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:00 am ]
Post subject: 

lewis1641 wrote:
A route that takes you 2 hours will be very different to one that takes me 2 hours! I've got a few possibilities in mind. I'll study the map a bit then give you a shout and you can pop over one sunday and we'll give it a go. Are you thinking january for the recon mission or the ride?

Good stuff.

Yea, got a lot on at the moment, so maybe mid Jan for the pre-ride planning, and Feb for the ride.

I'll text you my number again mate and we can get planning when your ready :wink:

Author:  legrandefromage [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:47 am ]
Post subject: 

can I, er, tag along? If I promise to turn up? :oops:

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

you can for me but i'm pretty steady on the old treader!

i have 3 possibilities in mind.

first is east ravendale. good points, my parents live there so bacon butties all round. it is also beautiful countryside with a few hills. yay

bad point my parents wont be too happy if 3000 cars turn up!

second. barnetby area. i'm just getting to know the bridleways round here. most of it is farm track rather than single track though. one track is very close to the end of the runway at humberside airport so if you time it right you can get a very close view of some planes. there are some woods but i dont know about access. i will look into it. this could be a decent ride if the woods are legal.

third. could meet in broughton, hit whats left of broughton woods, drop down into scunthorpe where a scunny member can link the various woods. possible downside is it might end up either a there and back sort of affair, or an epic as there are only 2 off road routes between scunthyorpe and broughton that i can recall. also a scunthorpe run would certainly involve a rew road miles.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

veering off for a second picklemeister, what's with all the dodgy retro dance avatars!

Author:  legrandefromage [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

well, I say 'turn up' when actually mean still sound asleep when everyone else is covered in mud and smiles...

Author:  Pickle [ Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

lewis1641 wrote:
veering off for a second picklemeister, what's with all the dodgy retro dance avatars!

Dug my old Fusion rave jacket out a few days ago, got a bit misty eyed for a bit 8)

Author:  lewis1641 [ Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

its all very quiet in here. are there any lincolnshire types that dont know we have our own little corner?

Author:  marky2484 [ Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:36 am ]
Post subject: 

Yep, Boston here, noooooooo hills, mainly doing miserable road miles at mo, well up for some ups and downs..... 8)

Author:  Pickle [ Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:37 am ]
Post subject: 

Welcome marky2484, Boston is only 45mins down the road from Lincoln so not too far for you to join in our Lincoln blasts 8)

Author:  lewis1641 [ Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:33 am ]
Post subject: 

No hills you say. Might move to boston!

Author:  MJN [ Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:39 am ]
Post subject: 

Pickle wrote:
Welcome marky2484, Boston is only 45mins down the road from Lincoln so not too far for you to join in our Lincoln blasts 8)

Where there are also no hills :wink:

Author:  Pickle [ Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

MJN wrote:
Pickle wrote:

Where there are also no hills :wink:

Look, here is a hill!

(ok, so it may be the only one and strictly speaking my route doesnt have to include it......but its a hill in Lincolnshire :lol: )

Author:  MJN [ Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:00 am ]
Post subject: 

:lol: I think thats actually classed as a ridge :D

Author:  TheGreenRabbit [ Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

MJN wrote:

No, its just pleased to see you !!!

(Ill get my coat and get back to the South East)

Author:  Pickle [ Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

TheGreenRabbit wrote:
MJN wrote:

No, its just pleased to see you !!!

(Ill get my coat and get back to the South East)

Oi GR, gerroff moi land! :lol:

Author:  big_tex_uk [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Anyone here from round the Grantham way as i need some new riding buddies. I tend to ride about three times a week as i work shifts.
Particularly looking for some new night riding buds as the lads i rode with now have work issues.
I ride round the Vale of Belvoir, Pines, Bourne Woods, Rutland, etc.

P.S Cheers lewis1641 for the message.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

hi mate. i have a coupe of messages from some people your way on. i dont have time straight away but i will pm you their user names later. i send the same message to everyone on the member list with a lincolnshire location. trouble is not everyone says where they are from.

Author:  Pickle [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Welcome Tex 8)

Whilst I'm not Grantham, I'm kind of in the middle of you and Dave's (lewis1641) 'Norvun' lot.

If you fancy a half hour drive or so, I'm going to organise a ride for April time around the Lincoln area if your up for it?

Author:  lewis1641 [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Count me in. I've heard about the pickle hospitality! I'm guessing it'll be a sunday?

Author:  Pickle [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

lewis1641 wrote:
Count me in. I've heard about the pickle hospitality! I'm guessing it'll be a sunday?

Good man :wink:

Food and drink is Mrs Pickles domain :lol:

Sunday yes, as I'm working Saturdays at the moment.

Author:  perry [ Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm in Grantham tex haven't been riding for a while as I have a crap knee but wasn't long ago riding everyday out along the canal and off along the bridelways .