Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:35 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:56 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

fluffychicken - is there much riding to be had north of the river? never really ventured that far other that "little switzerland"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:33 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Brantingham/Melton/South Cave/Beverley/Riplingham and inside that area is ok, well last time I went properly was a long long time ago and things may have changed and I'm older now, so cutting new tracks will be more difficult.
I haven't managed to get out much :( but I shall be now I have a ridable bike again.

It's not difficult riding, more XC type and roads. Nothing like up in the moors though.
Not-young, unfit and slow people will still find some of it knackering*, if not just getting out of Melton if you go there.

Good for a jolly out and casual retrobike riding. Quarries where always fun but the best where south bank (South Ferriby) and I think the police now use them as shooting ranges. Air Ambulance was an essential tool for them though.

As for people here there is Me (Haltemprice area), chrisv40 (Howden area), neebsta (South Cave area), Tomahawk kid (Hull somewhere), i-am-iron-man (middle of Hull) and a few others I have forgotten but don't see here much.
Of course neither of us have afaik had a ride together. chrisv40 is super fit as he keeps telling me :wink:

* tested and proved by me recently, I personally think the hills have got longer and steeper then BitD :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:08 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

ignore this

Last edited by neilll on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:36 pm 
Retro Guru

That'll be why I don't ride the mtb in Lincolnshire very often but the Peak District is only 45mins away :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 pm 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

I think most of you have done my loop, so its about time another localish ride was had.

Anyone know any routes round the Wolds area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:52 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Pickle wrote:
Anyone know any routes round the Wolds area?

If it's the Wolds you're looking at I'd be very interested, I'm only available every other weekend though :(

The Wolds is my stomping ground, I ride there week in week out (just a humble 46 miles on the ss yesterday) and it'd be nice to show you guys some Lincolnshire hills. If you'd like me to show you around let me know what sort of distance you're looking at and I'll figure something out for you.

Cheers
Steve
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:09 pm 
Retro Guru

Yesterdays ride sounds fine,I did a road ride out that way on yesterday,the only place around here with hills(and lots of fields :cry: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:10 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Well as I actually live bang in the middle of the Wolds at Donington on Bain and back many moons ago set up the Caistor Off Road Club - had quite a few members back then (mid 90s). Now just getting back into the swing and know most of the good routes around here.

Hoping to do the bicyclemania too.

So would be great to have a Lincs get together IMO - especially around here as it is the only part of Lincolnshire that has a few hills (for going down obviously).

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Donington on Bain was one of the places I rode through yesterday, came via Withcall to the top of D on B on the BW that goes past the old dishes (you'll know what I mean) heading towards Biscathorpe. I was pretty pooped by then. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:22 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

I'm cursing my shifts as I won't be able to do this next bicyclemania event. It'll be the first one I've missed since it started and I was hoping for a better run than the one that's just gone as I had a puncture on the very first descent!! :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next