Where to ride in the Fens?

Rob H

Retro Guru
My misses' family live up in the Fens and it would be great to do some riding up there when we visit, the only thing is that I can seem to find any recommendations of where to go all guide books seem to miss out that part of the country so any suggestions?

its flat. pick a wind direction and ride as far and as fast as you can.

holme_lode.jpg

or knock on my door

Where in the Fens are you going?

Are you looking at the deepest darkest fens (Chatteris/March/Wisbech/Spalding/Boston/Holbeach etc) or on the edges somewhere?
It's not brilliant, but if you're on the edges near Peterborough and Ramsey on the land side there's a few hills and woods that might be of interest. Not far to Thetford Forest/Brandon from the Swaffham side.
Otherwise, as Mark said...it's pretty much paths on the dykes and coast. It's a spectacularly weird landscape, down to 2m below sea level in places; worth a look.

There is something magnificent and otherworldly about the really remote places, like Gedney Drove End.

2671476_f43b82be.jpg

Just watch out for the bombing runs from RAF Holbeach, mind :shock:

All the best,

My parents used to live not far from Downham Market...thankfully not any more...the fens are pretty bleak/flat/not MTB territory! Thetford forest has some good trails if you are within a car ride though...

good for a fixed gear road bike - flat - that's why I had mine , and it was 20 years before most people had even heard of a "fixie"

Back