Can I organize a group ride?

oldgit

Retro Guru
I'm the chairman of our local road club. We have a club base and things like signage. And we already organize road races, TT's and reliability trials, so I'm wondering with all this in place could I tweak it for a retrobike run?

We are in Leighton Buzzard so have some great riding on our doorstep, and hills always play a part in our rides, you can't avoid them all!
There are plenty of cafes as well.
My initial idea would be to have a shortish say 40+ mile ride with a stop.

Here are the downsides;
The club room is shared with the towns football club, so parking is at a premium during their season.
I'm the only club member with an interest in the older stuff, so I'd have to sell the idea to them. We do have open days and other events, but they are there to encourage new members to join.

Any thoughts?

What club is that then oldgit?

Im from LB and used to be a member of the Bossard wheelers back in the early 90s and used to meet at the Pages park pavillion.

Im from LB and used to be a member of the Bossard wheelers back in the early 90s and used to meet at the Pages park pavillion.

Same here.
The Bossard Wheelers seemed to fade away and there was a lot of locals looking to join a sporting club. I had the idea of forming a club and tried to contact and remaining BW members, but to no avail.
We went ahead and formed Leighton Buzzard Road Cycling Club.
Shortly afterwards the BW made them selves known, they weren't too happy, but we explained that they were un contactable and totally off the radar.
The hatchet has been buried, the BW had a rebirth and we all get on just fine.

I've ridden with (Carl) a few times - he certainly knows that area well.

I think 40 miles would be testing Carl, the pace on retrobike rides isn't like the Buzzards!

Back