Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:36 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:46 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: Mansfield Woodhouse, Nott's.
Tazio wrote:
Ahem! The squadron was based at RAF Scampton, about 5 mi (8 km) north of Lincoln.


Why is it when 617 squadron is mentioned the only thing 'their' history jumps out at them is the ruddy Dambusters!
Don't forget 617sqd dropped more Tall-Boys over Germany than the Dambusters raid ever did,
617sqd was based at RAF Scampton from March 1943 to 30 Aug 1943 Oh and 617sqd was also based at RAF Woodhall Spa from Jan' 1944 to June 1945 too :wink:

Just spent several days at Petwood Hotel in a private gathering of RAF Bomber Command veterans and was honoured to talk to many of them.

Cheers.
Ian Lanc' or as i'm known on here as Ian Raleigh...lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:51 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 4977
Location: Edinburgh
Ian Raleigh wrote:
Tazio wrote:
Ahem! The squadron was based at RAF Scampton, about 5 mi (8 km) north of Lincoln.


Why is it when 617 squadron is mentioned the only thing 'their' history jumps out at them is the ruddy Dambusters!
Don't forget 617sqd dropped more Tall-Boys over Germany than the Dambusters raid ever did,
617sqd was based at RAF Scampton from March 1943 to 30 Aug 1943 Oh and 617sqd was also based at RAF Woodhall Spa from Jan' 1944 to June 1945 too :wink:

Just spent several days at Petwood Hotel in a private gathering of RAF Bomber Command veterans and was honoured to talk to many of them.

Cheers.
Ian Lanc' or as i'm known on here as Ian Raleigh...lol


I have no knowledge of where they were based, it was just attached to the part I quoted from another site. I was commenting on the OP stating it was brave English lads. The British forces were drawn from every part of the British Isles and the Empire.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:07 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: Mansfield Woodhouse, Nott's.
Tazio wrote:
I have no knowledge of where they were based, it was just attached to the part I quoted from another site. I was commenting on the OP stating it was brave English lads. The British forces were drawn from every part of the British Isles and the Empire.


No worries :wink:

It wasn't until the 70's when people started to realise it was not just the British man who helped defeat Germany and one Squadron was
formed in Lincolnshire and was totally ran by Polish folk who ran from Hitler's gas chambers and for them to gain their vengance,
300 Sqd was born which was RAF Faldingworth and by christ[excuse the pun] did a bloody good job.

During the war there was many Indians who wanted to become air-crew but because of their religion they had to wear a turban at all
times many never got past the first tests of becoming air-crew because they refused to wear the type C leather helmet.

I've got a close friend in Ontario Canada and the house next door to him is were Guy Gibson was born and grew up, So my mate has always been mad about Gibson....lol

Still waiting for a reply by the OP for the Wellington memorial! Fingers crossed he may read his post again :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:24 am 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am
Posts: 4
Location: Loncolnshire
Leave the Petwood hotel and turn right, up the road a couple of hundred meters there's a lane on the right,go up there maybe 1/4 mile and there's an obelisk with a bust of Wellington on top ia a field to your left, this could be you're memorial, from there it's a nice ride into Horncastle via Old Woodhall

Roger


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:44 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: Mansfield Woodhouse, Nott's.
Thanks for that Roger.

I reckon i might go out next week and pay a visit to the memorial.

Thank again matey.

Ian.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:29 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
Ian Raleigh wrote:
roadking wrote:
Woodhall Spa yesterday, lovely sunny day, took in a few sights including the Wellington monument. Roadking.


Where on earth is the Wellington monument ?

Cheers.
Ian.


Plantfit has replied viz the monument, I don't visit RB often these days.

Rk.


Last edited by roadking on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
Tazio wrote:
roadking wrote:
Very hot, but some cracking roads, reason for the ride? Well 69 years ago this month brave English chaps flew to Germany to strike a blow for freedom.


Ahem!

"Led by 24 year-old Wing Commander Guy Gibson, a veteran of over 170 bombing and night-fighter missions, 21 bomber crews were selected from existing squadrons in 5 Group. These crews included RAF personnel of several different nationalities, as well as members of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF), who were frequently attached to RAF squadrons under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The squadron was based at RAF Scampton, about 5 mi (8 km) north of Lincoln.


I am fully aware of this although your"facts"leave something to be desired...a family member flew with 617 from its formation until the end of WW2.

I have a lovely photograph of him being presented to the King by Gibson.

Rk.


Last edited by roadking on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:39 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
Ian Raleigh wrote:
Tazio wrote:
I have no knowledge of where they were based, it was just attached to the part I quoted from another site. I was commenting on the OP stating it was brave English lads. The British forces were drawn from every part of the British Isles and the Empire.


No worries :wink:

It wasn't until the 70's when people started to realise it was not just the British man who helped defeat Germany and one Squadron was
formed in Lincolnshire and was totally ran by Polish folk who ran from Hitler's gas chambers and for them to gain their vengance,
300 Sqd was born which was RAF Faldingworth and by christ[excuse the pun] did a bloody good job.

During the war there was many Indians who wanted to become air-crew but because of their religion they had to wear a turban at all
times many never got past the first tests of becoming air-crew because they refused to wear the type C leather helmet.

I've got a close friend in Ontario Canada and the house next door to him is were Guy Gibson was born and grew up, So my mate has always been mad about Gibson....lol

Still waiting for a reply by the OP for the Wellington memorial! Fingers crossed he may read his post again :?


Suggest you check some of your facts...bit of a worry - for example; Wing Commander Guy Gibson was born in India, lived in Cornwall, and went to schools in Kent and Oxford.

The facts are well documented.

Rk.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:47 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
poweredbypies wrote:
Should hopefully be moving back home in the near future, I would be interested in joing you for a ride. Thats as long as you dont mind having a fat slow bloke joining in, whose idea of fluid intake is a flask of coffee :lol:


Currently organising a really significant Lincolnshire ride for October.

All are welcome.

Rk.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:24 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
Ian Raleigh wrote:
Tazio wrote:
Ahem! The squadron was based at RAF Scampton, about 5 mi (8 km) north of Lincoln.


Why is it when 617 squadron is mentioned the only thing 'their' history jumps out at them is the ruddy Dambusters!
Don't forget 617sqd dropped more Tall-Boys over Germany than the Dambusters raid ever did,
617sqd was based at RAF Scampton from March 1943 to 30 Aug 1943 Oh and 617sqd was also based at RAF Woodhall Spa from Jan' 1944 to June 1945 too :wink:

Just spent several days at Petwood Hotel in a private gathering of RAF Bomber Command veterans and was honoured to talk to many of them.

Cheers.
Ian Lanc' or as i'm known on here as Ian Raleigh...lol


The"reason"617 is and will always be associated with the Dam's Raid is quite simple; 617 was created for the Dam's raid, and equally always assocated with Gibson, and if my memory serves, the Tallboy came into service after Gibson's untimely death.

Rk.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group