Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Road riding
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=166056

Author:  titch__16 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:06 am ]
Post subject:  Road riding

As the long awaited return of my road bike has finally happened, I am keen on getting involved in some rides with fellow Retrobikers. However there seems to me, to be a scarceness to the events. With many MTB rides being arranged I figured that, surely, there must be interest in the road riding aspect too.

As any ride I do go along to would so far be my first, I'm not too sure of how to go about setting this up. I wonder if anyone is, like me, interested in leaving the hustle and bustle of 'city life' for a peaceful trip through the countryside and scenery that we are blessed with.

If there is any interest, I am very keen to know and be helped with arranging an event, and getting to know some likewise riders :D

Author:  AR-CoolC [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:26 am ]
Post subject: 

Easiest way is just get a few names down as interested parties, decide a date that suits you all and a route and away you go.

There are no rules as such, just the normal rules of the road.

I don't have a road bike (but hope to sort myself out with one fro next summer) to join you, but there will be a few nice routes to choose over the wolds.

Author:  titch__16 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ok, so just wait and get some names :lol:
Simpler than I thought.

Author:  AR-CoolC [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yep :D

Just a thought. ChrisV40 from over the bridge is a bit of a roadie so it might be worth while putting a post in the Yorkshire section too.

Longun is from Scunny and has recently got the roadie bug too.

Author:  titch__16 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have posted a topic in the Yorks section redirecting people to here so hopefully will gain some interest :D

Author:  bm0p700f [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

I also would not mind this. Shame you are up in Linconshire.

Author:  longun [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

i havent a "retro" road bike but would be interested in a ride , i aint to fast buddy so keep it steady lol

Author:  titch__16 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

longun wrote:
i havent a "retro" road bike

As previously mentioned there would be no rules, so any bike would be fine :wink:

And it would just be a leisurely cruise soaking up the sights :D

If we can get a few people on board, I think we would probably just pick a place (cafe, tea room etc.) and just enjoy the ride on the way.
So spread the word!! :D :D

Author:  longun [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

im in :D

think dave aka lewis197839283777444477575757010000111010001 has a road bike aswell,filing that,mtb with slicks or just an mtb :D

Author:  titch__16 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

Slicks is a good idea.
Basically it should be a bike you're comfortable riding.
When I ride I always have tools to fix most things, so that wont be an issue.

If anyone who is interested, asks around we should be able to get a larger involvement pretty quickly.

Author:  bm0p700f [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Still a shame you are so far away. But I may be up for ride.

Author:  titch__16 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not sure of a solution for riding in Suffolk. :roll:
I'm sure there will be a way to get you involved eventually :D

Author:  titch__16 [ Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

As this is a way to meet new riders, I think everyone should introduce themselves, show a pic of the bike you will using and tell us your local area.
Once we have enough people, using the local areas we can plan a meeting place and route based on distances for each person.

So I'll start.
Hi I'm Luke and this is my bike (Debbie) :)

Author:  bm0p700f [ Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

I do ride here but with local clubs. Everyone else rides new stuff all by themselves.

Author:  titch__16 [ Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

So if you're up here sometimes we could possibly arrange something in conjunction to one of your visits.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sorry only just noticed this for some reason :oops:

I'm well up for it as long as we are starting somewhere fairly local on your side of the bridge.

Nice country lanes preferred, not really into mixing it with heavy traffic.

I will be riding a 98 Peugeot which looks really fast but I can assure you it isnt with me on board :lol:

Author:  AR-CoolC [ Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:48 am ]
Post subject: 

Just a thought titch, this might interest you too.

http://www.bicyclemania.co.uk/ROADINFO.htm

There's a few of us doing the MTB event again next year, and if that is anything to go by this will be very well organised.

Author:  titch__16 [ Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

Welcome along Chris :) as mentioned the meeting place will be as easy for everyone as possible.

And bicyclemania thing does look quite good, know of anyone who will be doing it?

Author:  chrisv40 [ Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Myself, Fluffychicken, AndyB and quite a few more from the local area should be doing mania hopefully :)

Author:  AR-CoolC [ Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
Myself, Fluffychicken, AndyB and quite a few more from the local area should be doing mania hopefully :)

And me Image I think titch is asking about the road event though not the MTB one.

Author:  titch__16 [ Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

As they're different days I can do both :lol: I have the bikes for it lol. But it is mainly the road one I'm interested in.

Author:  bm0p700f [ Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm going to do this on a retro of course. I will also do the their road ride hopefully on the ALAN as by then it should be built up.

Author:  XitUp [ Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm up for this, and so is my girlfriend.
We're Louth based at the mo, but buying a house in Grimsby/Cleethorpes at some point.

This is my bike:

Author:  titch__16 [ Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:39 am ]
Post subject: 

I've only seen a few Alan bikes but I have to say I really do like them, especially the carbon one in roadsextion on here at the moment :D

And Xitup, good to have you on board :)

Author:  roadking [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:52 am ]
Post subject:  Road Rides.

Rideout in Wolds this coming Sunday...my eight/ten/two route - eight to ten miles with two tea rooms!

Actually riding rather than talking about riding...which is great, hopefully weather will hold?

Will be out on my 1978 Holdsworth Mistral.

Roadking.

Author:  titch__16 [ Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:44 am ]
Post subject: 

Any updates from people who want to join in?

And Roadking, What area do you start in?

Author:  roadking [ Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:53 am ]
Post subject: 

I live near Louth...and tend to begin rides if not from my house then usually no further than 30 mins by car from home - depends a little on who's riding that day where we ride.

Try to have a cafe/tearoom on the route for obvious reasons.

I intend throughout the coming autumn/winter to ride every weekend, and maybe the odd midweek"skive".

I need to cease being an armchair cyclist (which I've been of late) and get out on the road - or off road - and part of my motivation is he plan to do the French L'Eroica. The Anjou Velo Vintage next year.

Roadking.

Author:  titch__16 [ Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ok, It's good to have you on board, and Louth should be ok for a few of the people already involved. If you show us your route, I'm sure you will have some company :lol:

Author:  roadking [ Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 am ]
Post subject:  Apologies.

Had problems with internet access since my last post so could not reply...ride went ahead in good conditions, about 10 minutes light rain and then sunny and calm.

About 10/12 miles covered, mixed road terrain and a really good downhill.

Seven guys and a gal turned up, nine of us inc yours truly.

Good day and an interesting mix of machines - newest was a lovely fillet brazed Mercian built with a Reynolds Speedstream tubeset.

May post details of next ride in advance - it will be around Halloween time - I'll assess any interest from responses to this post.

Roadking.

Author:  titch__16 [ Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

If you keep us updated of your next ride, and tell us well in advance you should have more people with you.

Author:  roadking [ Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Road Rides.

There's some Lancaster bomber activity in my neck of the woods soon, thought I might plan a ride around that - those four Merlins look fantastic running at night.

Prepping currently for a season finale mid-October on the Sussex/Hants border; about 35 miles.

Roadking.

Author:  titch__16 [ Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:00 am ]
Post subject: 

The Lancaster is a beauty! 8)

Author:  roadking [ Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

titch__16 wrote:

You've been to East Kirkby and the BBMF?

Roadking.

Author:  titch__16 [ Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

roadking wrote:

I'm pretty sure I have, but it was at the Waddington air show few years back and saw it there.

Author:  AR-CoolC [ Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

roadking wrote:
titch__16 wrote:

Roadking.

My 8 year old daughter is going there today on a school trip. They're doing a project on WW2 and this is part of it.

It was only this morning whilst walking to school she metioned that they were asking for volunteers to go along and help out with the numbers :roll:

Author:  titch__16 [ Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

AR-CoolC wrote:
It was only this morning whilst walking to school she metioned that they were asking for volunteers to go along and help out with the numbers :roll:

Typical :lol:

Bought a kids bike last week, got a saddle, Single crank and the handlebars still for you :)

Author:  AR-CoolC [ Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

titch__16 wrote:
Bought a kids bike last week, got a saddle, Single crank and the handlebars still for you :)

Cool, we'll have to arrange a meet up at some point soon.

Author:  titch__16 [ Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have no plans for them so I'll keep it all aslong as you need.

Author:  roadking [ Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Get this thread back on track...

Anyone planning to ride on either (or both) the 11th or 13th November?

If you have to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer.

Rk.

Author:  titch__16 [ Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

So, Friday 11th or Sunday 13th?

I can do both of them, anyone else?

And what question are you referring to? :roll:

Author:  titch__16 [ Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

anyone at all? :shock:

Author:  roadking [ Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

titch__16 wrote:
anyone at all? :shock:

Clearly not many if any!?

The silence is deafening.

Titch, see my thread under this one.

Rk.

Author:  swos [ Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd be interested in going for rides on my Road bike in and around Norwich if any events are organised.