Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

"THE CHRISTMAS GUT BUSTER" JANUARY THE 23rd
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=127411

Author:  cannondale king [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 pm ]
Post subject:  "THE CHRISTMAS GUT BUSTER" JANUARY THE 23rd

As part of the national retrobike meets we in the east(ish) have been asked to a meet together at thetford forest in january so the best bet for us to make the most of the forest is to use it the week before the whyte winter series kill it.

Time: 10.00hrs

Bury Road
Brandon
Suffolk
IP27 0SU

Map here: http://www.multimap.com/s/PJmDkXZS

Details:
Parking is now Pay & Display, there is extra parking in the Orchard car park behind the old peoples home. There is a very good cafe - opens at 10:00am for the early arrivals - that sells tea / coffee & cakes also hot meals. We usually ride for a couple of hours in the morning then stop for lunch and then head out for a couple more hours afterwards.

If you are worried about not being fit (FYI marin man) enough to come along it is not a problem, we have riders of all abilities turn up, from overweight '40+' blokes to XC race whipetts. No one is ever left behind. Thetford Forest has a mixture of fire road and twisty singletrack, the conditions are generally very good this time of year and the trails only become sticky after days of heavy rain. Looking forward to seeing you all. Retro bikes not compulsary if you only have a modern bike to ride. Any questions just send me a pm.

this event is gonna be the best but im gonna need your help with ideas for the day please put your idea's here to make this the best day for all

happy trails and ride free dan :wink: 8)

Author:  REKIBorter [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

What's the date Dan, the date Dan, the date?

Author:  Average Mark [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Say's 21st on the national event register thing, best check that Dan

Author:  cannondale king [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

i think the main man got the date wrong :roll: :roll: it's surposed too be sunday the 23rd not the 21st as thats a friday :shock: :shock: no one rides on a friday round thetford :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  REKIBorter [ Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

What time do we meet Dan?

Author:  Average Mark [ Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:09 am ]
Post subject: 

erm .......... whenever the cake shop opens!

Author:  lou74 [ Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:40 am ]
Post subject: 

jeez.... come on dan! take bloody charge! 1000 hrs i rekons sounds like we need to do a recce or 3 between now & then chaps inorder that we can show our retro bretheren a cracking time......

Author:  cannondale king [ Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:36 am ]
Post subject: 

sounds good lou im going this sunday :lol: but i dont think it'll be nice out :lol: :lol: thinking 4hrs then stop :wink: :lol: :lol: oww the joy of racing :lol: :lol:

Author:  Dr S [ Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:46 am ]
Post subject: 

NE&Yorks Area have made this our January 'Ride of the Month' and hope to have a few pop along and show some support. Keep us posted- i will open a thread in our section to drum up some trade.
A long long drive for some of us, so put on a good show Dan!

Si

Author:  legrandefromage [ Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:19 am ]
Post subject: 

If its a Sunday, I'm in.

Hope its like last year:

Author:  Dr S [ Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Any chance you can get rid of the snow??

Had enough snow already :cry:

Author:  cannondale king [ Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

sorry mate jan + snow = perfect thetford winter ride :wink: :lol: :lol: i might add there is no snow here at the mo in lowestoft (just frozen hard ground) :D

i promise as long as its not raining it'll be one hell of a good ride

Author:  lou74 [ Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

can do this sunday dan, i'm shooting down the pub.........
that doesn't actually read that well does it? shooting as in with a shooter & little clay discs, not as in making my way there quickly. i am embracing country living! :roll:

maybe next w/e with a map & stuff (warm clothing flask of tea/coffee etc) for some proper route planning as i don't think cuffing it with 20+ is the way forward. tell me to F*** off if you think i'm being silly! :P

bob...... re ozone:- you GIT!!!!! gi'us a go mate :wink:

Author:  cannondale king [ Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

lou im up for a proper route plan you say not this weekend but the weekend after :D if so sounds good

Author:  lou74 [ Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:10 am ]
Post subject: 

right better get an os map of thet then. think i have one, may just be the military area tho :oops:

Author:  Average Mark [ Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

How about Santon Downham side? there seem to be some excellent trails over there. Room for 1 more Dan?

Author:  cannondale king [ Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

im thinking brandon side mark its easier parking for all and a cafe on site for tea and coffee and cake :wink: 8) santon downham is a bit isolated even if the trails are ok.

Author:  lou74 [ Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

more the merrier on the route planning jaunt/recce as far as i'm concerned mark
wound imagine we'd be able to get a map from the visitors centre? just need a compass...... got the ortlieb map cases!

Author:  REKIBorter [ Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

For the meet in January we should stick to the trails we know best. It wouldn't look too good if we spent most of the time working out where we are and where to go. If you can come up with a nicely linked together route that would be great. Don't forget the 'secret singletrack' that we did Brandon side 8)

Author:  cannondale king [ Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

i wont forget that trail chris its the mutts nutts of the singletrack world 8)

Author:  Average Mark [ Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

The usual Brandon run links together nicely as it is to be honest, maybe just need something a little more flowy for the afternoon. Racing there this weekend so we may be able to find some more stuff then. asuming it doesn't do a D2D on the trails that is ........

Author:  Gruff [ Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:15 am ]
Post subject: 

Looking forward to this one 8) :D

Author:  legrandefromage [ Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

bike almost ready - rider no where near ready.

Author:  lou74 [ Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

hope to be on rc300, found a welder...... god bless norfolks race car industry! he 'just' does a bit of work for van diemen apparently..... :shock:

Author:  TREBOR [ Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

Anyone doing this sunday 12th.If so i can make it if you let me know meet time location etc.Best regards BoB.

Author:  cannondale king [ Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

been on a route planning ride with trebor (bob) and lewis the whippet along with lou74 and average mark we have a cracking route planned out now its gonna one hell of a day 8)

Author:  REKIBorter [ Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sounds good :) Are we going to see some new trails?

Author:  lou74 [ Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

the riding part of the day was a success & we quite possibly might have or will do out do our selves on the day. yes chris, a couple of new trails, but it's more the way it's all linked together on the brandon side.

Author:  cannondale king [ Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

wev'e got two new trails one of which looked like it hadn't been riden in a while and by god it was so smooth it was unreal :wink: 8)

Author:  lou74 [ Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

cannondale king wrote:
wev'e got two new trails one of which looked like it hadn't been riden in a while and by god it was so smooth it was unreal :wink: 8)

apart from the fallen tree, eh dan ya big girl!!!

Author:  Dr S [ Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:31 am ]
Post subject: 

Any pics from the recce guys?

What are the climbs like? Any huge hills? Im thinking of bringing the Klunker along if its not too bad.

Author:  cannondale king [ Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:36 am ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
Any pics from the recce guys?

What are the climbs like? Any huge hills? Im thinking of bringing the Klunker along if its not too bad.

no pics as its a secret the loop where doing and no real hills its thetford think small 100 yard bumps :wink: all il say is the loop is very flowy smooth with only a couple of fire roads 8) :D

Author:  lou74 [ Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

eh??!!! what'd you mean 'no hills'? i know they're not up to yorkshire standard, but i distinctly remember riding up hill long enough to brake a sweat & my thighs to explode.......... must have been at least 300 yrds! :?
i'll get me coat................

it was a sneaky beaky type recce, no time for pics :wink:

Author:  REKIBorter [ Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:38 am ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:

A Klunker would be a hoot around Thetford Forest. It may be flat but makes up for it with tight twisty fast singletrack. There are a few gentle long hills but nothing more than that. You will find that you go flat-out all day and that is what makes it so tiring riding there.

Here is a video I shot back in May on part of the Red Route. The quality is not brilliant as it was shot holding my phone in my hand whilst trying to steer and brake with the other. It will give you a flavour of what Thetford has to offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Zp6eMJpJ4

Author:  Dr S [ Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

Cool. Looks like a hoot. Klunker it is then. 8)

Author:  legrandefromage [ Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

hopefully:

Author:  sinnett177 [ Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hi Guys, looking to announce this ride officially in the next few days. As CK is out the country very soon, would you be kind enough to fill I the blanks for the annoucement? Any extra pictures would also be most welcome.

Much appreciated if you could.

The Anglian and Lincolnshire Group is proud to present...

The Retrobike Thetford Classic 2011

Round 2 Of The Retrobike National Event Series with support from Image

:: Date: Sunday 23rd of Januray 2011
:: Distance/time:
:: Meeting at:
:: Directions:
:: Terrain:
:: Route:

Last year over 20 people turned out for some great riding around the trails of Thetford. MBR magazine also turned out on their old school machinery and covered the ride in their magazine.

Neill, John and Jango took on the Thetford trails for last years MBR magazine shoot.

Author:  REKIBorter [ Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Myself, Lou74 and MikeC, plus any others that may care to join us, are going to re-recce the route tomorrow. Will have more details of the intended days events for you then.

Author:  sinnett177 [ Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

REKIBorter wrote:
Myself, Lou74 and MikeC, plus any others that may care to join us, are going to re-recce the route tomorrow. Will have more details of the intended days events for you then.

Many thanks, looking forward to this one.

Author:  sinnett177 [ Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ride now launched in the Rides section, please post up with your interest:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130954

Author:  REKIBorter [ Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have started a list of those that have said they are coming. If you want your name added post in the main ride thread here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130954

Author:  REKIBorter [ Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

Aftermath thread here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133798