Sherwood Pines night riding?

Andy B

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
The gaffer at work is interested in going night riding @ Sherwood Pines with the shop staff

A couple of quick Q's

Does the car park close overnight?

If it does what time?

Are there any organised nights for night riding?

Any pro tips from the locals?

Cheers

If Mat (unocogero) doesn't read this, drop him a PM - he's the expert - he'd love to go riding with you I'm sure as there's not many out his way. We get there from time to time, but it's a bit of a haul.

A night ride in Sherwood Pines? Nothing sweeter!

Q. Does the car park close overnight?

A. Yes. In the winter it shuts at 6pm every night of the week except Wednesday when it shuts at 10pm. In the summer it stays open till 10pm every night.

Q. Are there any organised nights for night riding?

A. The bike shop there is open on a Wednesday night and has an organised ride. They are a bit 'up themselves', all ride carbon Scotts and say things like 'don't ride if you can't keep up'...

Not my cup of tea...

Q. Any pro tips from the locals?

A. Back in the day (5 years ago) when I started night riding at the Pines if you didn't ride on a Wednesday the woods were deserted most nights and just a little bit spooky at times...now you see lights bobbing about most weekday nights. Riders park in the (incredible) pub down the road in Kings Clipstone and either enter the woods down the spooky bridal-way and old railway tracks or cycle up the road to the main entrance.

The pub is OK for a drink afterwards but it is petty bizarre inside. We call it the Gaybar. Don't leave your bikes on roofbars/bike racks if you use that pub or the Rose Cottage on the A614.

For your ride it's easiest to follow the red route which with half decent lights is a doddle and not red at all.

I night ride every week with the retroboys over Ticknall way but it never feels the same as a night in the Pines. There is something about being enclosed by the trees that makes it feel a little more edgy and I will admit that at times I have breathed a sigh of relief when we hit the road at the end, particularly if it's just two of you...

It's definitely different to a bridleway night ride and the trails always feel fast with the lights on...

me and a couple mates are riding at pines tomorrow night, getting there round 7.20ish for a blast round the red route.

Been down the pines today on the red route, its not to bad but is hard going in places because of the mud. Two bits of advice, firstly take a change of clothing and secondly take a tarpaulin for the inside of your car! Have a good un. :D
GEDC0712.jpg

GEDC0716.jpg

was going to wear my packaway waterproofs over my cycling gear tonite and put some crud catcher guards on, might change my tyres to something with a bit more tread seen as theres some mud.

Should be good as i wanna try my new lights somewhere with no lights in the area.

Those Michelins on the Revolt were ok, they haven't got an overly aggressive tread pattern, but seemed to hook up alright. Which is completely the opposite to how they performed at Cannock the other week! Comes to something when you need different tyres not just for mud, but for different types of mud. :LOL:

Facebook group for Sherwood pines mtb club. They arrange regular rides and seem a good bunch.
Anyone tired the new section yet? Off to play tomorrow

Back