Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Thunder, lightning and mud: Sherwood Pines aftermath 6/6/10
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=104711

Author:  unocogero [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Thunder, lightning and mud: Sherwood Pines aftermath 6/6/10

Thanks everyone for a fantastic day out. The weather and the mud just made the turnout seem even more impressive and the riding more...well...muddy!

Thanks to Dave for sorting it all out and particularly to anyone who had travelled a long way.

And I have to make a public apology to Phil (legacy555) for pushing him over with his cleats on :oops:

Oh, and Dave (as leader) decided the Bike of the Ride was.....drumroll....Gav's (nakedgav) pink Haro which he got for £6.50 at a police auction :shock:

Anyway, a top day...we must do it again sometime :wink:

Author:  iveto1983 [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

I had a great time, it was nice to finally meet some of my retrobike brothers :wink:
I'm not sure my bike will thank me though, it really is filthy :roll:

Author:  perry [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Kin ell Matt your straight in there :lol: I've just got out of the shower .

yep great day , really good bunch . Cheers Dave for sorting it all out and the coffee and cookies and Andy for the smoke ( should have brought my own really )

Girlfriend turned up just after we asked that guy what his bike was , which was nice .

My bike will stay dirty until I either buy a part for it or I get sick of the dirt falling on the lounge carpet :lol:

Author:  unocogero [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

perry wrote:
Kin ell Matt your straight in there :lol: I've just got out of the shower .

Home advantage!

Author:  longun [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

yup,big thankyou to yourself,dave and everyone else.had an ace day,was good to ride with new people and ride new trails :D

bloody knackered now,bikes been cleaned and ready for next week :roll:

Author:  lewis1641 [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just got back and currently turning the bath water brown and wishing i'd used less bubble bath. Thankfully not off to cleethorpes either!

Thanks for showing us some awesome trails without you we wouldn't have had half as much fun. I'd probably still be able to use my left arm as i wouldn't have body checked the tree, but we had more fun all the same.

Highlights for me, racing to get there on time only to find my sat nav lied about eta,andyb's constant giggling, perry's rasta stem, meeting my first ever kona hot and fat chance, lunch,legacy555 getting bullied by matt,naked gav's flowing singletrack skills, seeing andyb's man bits, the fantastic single track and riding with great people and putting a few more faces to user names.

It really is great to feel like part of something and every ride i do i meet more people. I've yet to ride with a retro biker with a bad attitude or one that won't tolerate us slower riders and i think that's just swell. I'll upload my pictures tomorrow.

Author:  Antiquekona [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

:D Great leadership today on trails that you just wouldnt normally even see - big thanks.
I now also know how to steer the bike around trees (well most of the time) so thanks for that too :lol:
Itching for the next ride already - although your services are required Andy to get the old girl ready again.

Author:  orange71 [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
And I have to make a public apology to Phil (legacy555) for pushing him over with his cleats on

Poor Phil seems to get the brunt of this :lol:

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Awesome but muddy day boys! Same again soon???!!!

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Awesome rise! Big thanks to everyone who organised/guided us :D

Finally got myself clean and the bikes spotless too.

Looking forward to seeing Rich's pics :wink:

Author:  unocogero [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

orange71 wrote:
Quote:
And I have to make a public apology to Phil (legacy555) for pushing him over with his cleats on

Poor Phil seems to get the brunt of this :lol:

This time it was deliberate though :oops: but in my defence he did capture, train and release a wild dear with the specific aim of killing me :shock:

And to be honest you might want to look more closely at where that fox that attacked you came from and who might have trained it :shock: :wink:

Author:  saltyman [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

sorting pics now, they will be up tonight.

thanks for having me, was a long drive from geordieland but well worth it!

Author:  saltyman [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

few to start with.......

Author:  saltyman [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Author:  saltyman [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Author:  gil_m [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks a lot guys for an excellent but slightly muddy ride

Couldn't ask for more twisty turny narrow flowing single track

How needs hills :wink:

Sorry I had to scoot, ended up helping Tintin out and it kind of went from there :)

Author:  saltyman [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Author:  velocitizen [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

Really enjoyed that too.
Cheers Matt for the route, amazing how many trails you can fit into a square mile of woodland.
Lots of bits I hadn't ridden before.
Enjoyed everyones company.
Must do that again.

Author:  rc200ti [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks to everyone for a great day's riding.
Certainly feel my tree-avoidance skills have been tested today.

I know these aftermath threads seem to say the same thing but I'm still knocked out by the people that gather under the Retrobike banner.

So thanks again Dave and Mat for the organisation and the direction.

Author:  saltyman [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

Author:  saltyman [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

bike of the ride!

thats the last of my pics........

oh, and my sherwood 'tan' :lol:

and i drove for miles and miles looking for a garage........just made it with 5 mile left in the tank :shock:

Author:  longun [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

great pics 8)

Author:  gil_m [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

How is it that people manage to get my best side when taking photos...

Author:  Andy B [ Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

Best ride of my life :D

Big thanks to all who organised this ride & all those who turned up.

Great pics, although I mostly seem to be fiddling with my helmet in most of them... Sorry for mentally scarring you Dave :lol:

I Will be back @ Sherwood again, fricking loved it even in the wet conditions, can't wait to come back in the dry, superb singletrack riding & great off piste stuff 8)

GPS recorded the ride in 2 parts, I think there might be data missing, but the ride length came in @ 25.5 miles on the GPS (21.3 on the bike computer :? )

Pt1: http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... id=2611335

pt2: http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... id=2611321

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:25 am ]
Post subject: 

Loving the sherwood tan! :D the misses went mad at me when I rock in looking like my arse had let go! Again top day, top boys and count me in for the next gathering!

Author:  Awkward Kid [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:33 am ]
Post subject: 

Oh forgot to mention... Think I told Dave? I bumped into Chris Edison of Edison cycles. I've not seen him for 10yrs but he'd ridden over from Chesterfield on his bike done a lap and was on his way back when we where starting. Check this out he was on his first ever MTB frame that he'd built (25yrs young) but was decked out in full modern XT apart from cantis and I think new hope hubs? Really top bloke and an awesome frame builder, and still going strong by all accounts!

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:27 am ]
Post subject: 

gutted!

Author:  NakedGav [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:05 am ]
Post subject: 

What more is there to say that hasn't been said already - despite the slightly poor start with the weather that greeted me on opening the curtains it turned out to be a great day and another fantastic ride.
Especially good to see the size of the turnout given the storm and also nice to have people from other areas.
Many thanks to Matt for leading (and high pitched deer warnings) and also many thanks to Dave for organising, bestowing the prestigious bike of the ride award on my pink girl :D and also for the excellent tips on keeping your hands clean and soft :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  unocogero [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 am ]
Post subject: 

AndyB, that is great data and you have got the whole of the ride...so 25 muddy miles it is then.

No wonder I'm feeling it on the stairs today :wink:

Some great pictures saltyman, thanks.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:11 am ]
Post subject: 

My hands are still soft. Its amazing stuff. I'll bring some on the next gathering.

Author:  lewis1641 [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

here's my pics...
took over a chunk of the car park

antiquekona's lush sex three

iveto's fabulous hot

carambakid, legacy555 and gav

perry's explosif. check the nipples and stem

gil_m, velocitizen and rc200ti

unocogero's splatter kona

legacy555, our guide matt (unocogero)velocitizen, gil

its pink in real life. gaz's haro

chris(longun) rode modern but wore retro at least and pat on his hot

breather

coffee and cake

gil making his ti yo hard to capture

bike of the ride

retro car - looks to be a genuine g 60 with a well fitting carbon bonnet.

Author:  tintin40 [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well it was good to put faces to screen names. Lovely area. Shame didn't ride. Shame about the lack of signs :twisted:

Author:  Legacy555 [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

This time it was deliberate though :oops: but in my defence he did capture, train and release a wild dear with the specific aim of killing me :shock:

Yes next time I shall be training an ostrich.

No worries about the big push Mat :twisted:

I would like to thank Mat also for a fantastic morning, and it was great to see such a big turn out in wonderful English summer weather, hope to see you all again soon.

Author:  saltyman [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

i loved the free flowing single track, those little jumps in the play areas and the H bar loved those tight twists in the dark pine forests :twisted:

25 miles of quality riding, loved every minute.

never had so much fun in the mud and puddles too, bet there has never been many $16,000 Ti bikes in those conditions :lol: :oops:

Author:  perry [ Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

Had to give the bike a kick this morning , freewheel tried to seize , they seem to have a habit of doing that after being dunked in muddy water . I didn't notice the last one until a week later when I suddenly found myself the owner of a fixed gear :lol:

It seems that very much like treating a dog badly makes it a savage man attacker , neglecting a singlespeed turns it into a fixed gear .

I think the cracking sound was in fact the bottom bracket , it was worn out when I put it in but I was limited in crank choice so had to go with a crappy square taper . My new hope bottom bracket turned up at work today so I think I have found a home for it ( colleagues thought it opulent that I spent £60 on a bottom bracket without having a bike waiting for it ) I just need to get the middleburn cranks now .

None of the alloy bolts in either the stem or the ones holding the brakes on sheared , which is nice .

Author:  velocitizen [ Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Andy B wrote:
GPS recorded the ride in 2 parts, I think there might be data missing, but the ride length came in @ 25.5 miles on the GPS (21.3 on the bike computer :? )

Andy, must have been all that wheeeelieeeing around the tables at lunchtime, or the amount you traveled over those scary doubles in the Jump Park.
More importantly have you managed to work out a Max and average temperature for the day.

Author:  Andy B [ Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

velocitizen wrote:
Andy B wrote:
Andy, must have been all that wheeeelieeeing around the tables at lunchtime, or the amount you traveled over those scary doubles in the Jump Park.
More importantly have you managed to work out a Max and average temperature for the day.
:lol: the tabletops were fun, if a little scary clipped in :twisted:

Anyone got any pics of the sick^rad 6 inches of air I was getting :lol:

No idea on the avg/max temp's though, bike computer only gives current data on temps, it's currently 71.4° in the workshop ;)

Author:  lewis1641 [ Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

I was far too in awe of your awesome radness to be able to get my camera out.

Good job there were no girls about. You'd have been sure to get them pregnant just looking at you

Author:  lewis1641 [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:39 am ]
Post subject: 

did anyone else feel a bit wierd riding through the training trenches by the way?

Author:  Antiquekona [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah - every time I came up to bunny hop over the trench I felt like someone was holding the wheel and wobbling it, causing me to get off and look pathetic. :wink:

Know what you mean though - bit strange - wouldnt rush back to that bit.

Author:  rc200ti [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
did anyone else feel a bit wierd riding through the training trenches by the way?

Now I wish you hadn't said that 'cos I didn't... but next time I probably will.

Author:  Antiquekona [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thought I saw something actually.....

Author:  lewis1641 [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Antiquekona wrote:
Thought I saw something actually.....

just looks like andy's bits to me

Author:  perry [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

How did I miss that square hanging there :lol:

Author:  Andy B [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

lewis1641 wrote:
Antiquekona wrote:
Thought I saw something actually.....[see pic above]
just looks like andy's bits to me
:lol:
perry wrote:
How did I miss that square hanging there :lol:
:lol:

Author:  Old Ned [ Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

Looks like a typical excellent RB day out!

Great bikes all round. Wish I could have been there but circumstances at present rule it out.

Maybe next time!

Author:  lewis1641 [ Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

It was indeed a great day ned