Rosedale Abbey Round Aftermath

:cool: certainly was im defrosting with coffee.......probaly get my pics up in the morning, im hitting the pub soon :twisted:

nice to meet you Si, and big thanks to Gil for taking us around a great piece of moorland single track.

I am jealous, I would love to have joined you but it is a while since I rode the bike for a various reasons..

Another time perhaps, you will recognise me , camper car German Shepheard co pilot..

Glad you all seemed to stay shiny side up

Channa

Far from staying shiny side up Chana- I went over the bars twice in twenty yards on one stretch.

Pics ready in about 20 mins :D

Rosedale Abbey Round
approx 16 miles
Cold but dry.

Riders: Roald 'Gil_M' Amundsen, Sir Edmund 'Dr S' Hillary, Ernest 'Saltyman' Shackleton and Sherpa 'MrSavory' Tenzing.

The day started early with a surprise. I opened my front door at 6 am to find four inches of unforcast snow. I headed back into the garden and found the shovel before heading south to meet Salty and Savory for a hearty breakfast on the A19. The driving conditions were pretty poor with one lane open only which led to several aborted comedy overtaking attempts.

Once onto the exposed moorland roads things got even harder. I have known those moors for 30 years and I have rarely seen snow so deep. This ride should have run the week before until Gil contacted me to report that there was 'still a bit of snow on the tops and a ride was probably not a good idea'. this was no exageration as the snow drifts on the road to Rosedale were as high as my van. This was more like the frozen wastes of Alaska than Yarkshire!

4316584501_76e8e47ec5_o.jpg

This is the road across the moors to Rosedale. The moorland is usually just below the level of the road

Despite the tricky roads (and the collapsed section above Rosedale still hasn't been fixed which was even more difficult as the whole road was sheet ice) we made it to Rosedale bang on time. We kitted up and waited for gil to arrive, and waited, and waited and waited some more.
Over the road in the other car park, Gil waited and waited and waited some more in the vain hope that we were not going to make it and he could head back to a warm bed. Eventually we realized our mistake and ruined gils day by turning up in the right car park. :roll:

Oh Cock!
We started out then in bright sunshine but with a biting northerly wind, up the incline from Rosedale toward the amusingly named Bell End. This climb was a bit of a slog but we soon made it to the top and had a breather before heading onto the old Rosedale railway.
Disused since the mines closed over 100 years ago, this track would be our route for the best part of the day. Rosedale, now a pretty village of maybe 20 houses was once a filthy industrial landscape with mines and kilns belching smoke into the atmosphere. Nature has smoothed out the man made scars to some degree but evedence remained around every corner on this old line- disused buildings reduced to rubble and huge monolithic kilns crumbling away steadily over the years.

4316584503_6cae39cccb_o.jpg

4316584511_1a0ec571b7_b.jpg

Nature had also done its best to reclaim the railway. This wasn't going to be a quick spin along a flat surface. Landslides and erosion have decimated some sections into mountain bike heaven. And then there was the snow to contend with. Although just a few inches had fallen overnight, this was now whipping into drifts. This fresh fall was sat on top of the snow that fell over christmas- now frozen solid and anything up to two feet deep in places. Riding was tricky- one minute you would be riding along on the hardened surface, only to instantly fly over the bars as front wheels broke through the surface up to fork crowns in places. Landings were always soft though and taken with humour and a spot of piss taking. 'Dabbing' was a hit and miss affair too as on more than one occasion you put your foot down only to have it disapear along with most of your leg.

4316584505_fa820bfbc2_o.jpg

4316584519_d0b7ed2555_o.jpg

We steadily made our way around the valley, climbing ever so slightly as we went. The scenery was breathtaking and so was that northerly wind- when you managed to get out of it, the sun made for a pleasant burst of warmth. Unfortunately this warmth was not enough to prevent my freewheel from freezing up. Just one pawl was engaging by now and having to spin the cranks up to get forward motion was making some of the techy sections a bit of a chore. It made some nasty noises and slipped and jumped for the rest of the day but got be home eventually. Everyone had frozen gears and brakes reducing us all to singlespeed mode in an act of solidarity toward gil who was riding SS anyway.

4316584515_2fd963583f_o.jpg

At last the Pub, which we could see from our starting point, began to loom larger on the horizon. The snow tried its best to keep us from our pints again- pitching me over my bars twice in just 20 yards. Eventually we made it to the Lion Inn high on Blakey Ridge and after admiring the view and more comedy double-story snow drifts we retired inside for a pint and a round of chip butties.

Now allow me to go and grab another beer before I end my report. back soon!

Cool (literally lol)

Last time I did this loop it was persisting it down on the return section of the railway, thank God for the Lion Inn, Pork scratchings & Guiness!

That is a massive amount of snow you all had to deal with. Major respect for hauling ass round there

anyway continue with your ride report Si...

Part 2

4316717043_5c2e1ddd60_o.jpg

4316717055_654dedfba7_o.jpg

4316717061_7024a170e1_o.jpg

Now refreshed we headed south along the opposite side of the Dale. The snow wasn't as heavy along this section although there were a few huge drifts and some big holes in the ice layer underneath the fresh powder which claimed a few more front wheels. Walkers had also braved this section and their frozen foot prints left mini rock garden like obsticles to keep us on our toes.

4316717053_3af656a659_o.jpg

4316762547_7b261916ab_o.jpg

4316717047_e93daa8ee2_o.jpg

4316717057_145ca0b5eb_o.jpg

4316762545_50fa2922ba_o.jpg

Eventually we reached Chimney Bank and left the old railway line. Spread out below us was the Village from which we departed- it looked tiny and hinted at the cracking descent that awaited us. We headed along shooting roads now to Ana Cross, again icy but rideable.

4316762557_ace4c446b6_o.jpg

God's Country indeed!

The view from the Cross is mindblowing- 360 degree and as far as the powerstations of West Yorkshire almost 50 miles away to the south. It was crystal clear too. Its probably a good job such fine sights had lifted our souls as legs and arms were beginning tire. The line of riders was becoming more stretched out and the light was beginning to fade slightly. Our planned loop down to another pub at lastingham was scrapped so we headed along a narrow sheep track to the edge of the moor to begin the final descent.

4316762559_4071286985_o.jpg

4316762549_723ca014e6_o.jpg

This proved to be the sting in the tail. Sheet ice covered in snow with running water below it made for hard going. It got steeper and the rocks bigger as we slithered and bounced our way back to Rosedale down the narrowest of trails before dropping into another old Quarry.

4316762563_9c77572ddf_o.jpg

A final super slippy ice track took us down the the valley floor and onto the road into the village. Tired yes, but all in good fettle and reasonably clean bikes too! My freewheel made it round- just, the noise it made as we climbed up the lane to the car park was toe curling.

As ever great company and i hope our two new guys enjoyed the riding, the craic and our beloved Yorkshire Moors. Big thanks to the big man for showing us round and to the weather gods for keeping the skies blue all day.
A grand day out!

Si of the antartic

:cool: awesome mate, i woke this morning to all sorts of aches and pains, last nights alcohol intake is wearing off fast.....ouch :oops:

will get my pics up soon.

Back