NE&YORKS Noggin and Natter

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
4156905131_778e80b2f1_o.jpg

Welcome to the new NE&Yorks area chat and rides section. This area covers Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, North Pennines, Durham, North, West and South Yorkshire.
This is your place to shoot the breeze and plan a few rides out. Here you can find out where and when the rides will be taking place, who is selling what, which bones have been broken as well as lots of other blather.

If you're from outside the area and are planning on visiting Northern England please get in touch with either myself (for NE and Northumberland) or gil_m (North Yorkshire) and we will assist in any way we can.

Hope to see you all out on the trails soon.

Over to you guys.......

Si
NE&Yorks Area Event Coordinator

Si

Sounds good to me. Best to get all the rides i can get in; physio told me today that I'm to go in to the butchers for a spot of keyhole surgery on my troublesome hip in the near future! :shock:

All well, it'll all come good in the end.

I have a space for one more bike on my car if anyone needs a lift from Alnwick.

I'll keep my diary open :D

Rhys

Is there any good riding up Alnwick way Rhys? Never ridden up there but done plenty of rallying around the lanes, from what I have seen of the scenery I reckon it has potential.

Si

Si

A mate in work has a few routes he goes out on when he can be bothered to get off his road bike and get on a real one :)

I'm ashamed to say that most of my rides out in the area have been on tarmac or along the Cycle Route :oops:

However,
i.m sure there must be more to see than Cats-Eyes over here

Rhys

I'm up for a bit of night riding.

This is the route I normally do with the brother-in-law, its a bit flat, but get the legs turning.

Also you can head up to Horsley, down through whittle Dean and back along the river at Ovingham.

3409076374_b4c9b0018f_o.jpg

3408267793_1fe99384eb.jpg

3409076304_537c48824d_o.jpg

James

Great idea. Will be up for this :D

I've never really cared for Simonside, always been a bit disappointed/frustrated. There is Chopwell by Rowlands Gill, but apparently its being worked by the forestry and its a bit knackered. HP Sauce is out of action for a bit:

Posted 3wks ago on STW:
Just a quick note to let regulars of Thrunton know that HP Sauce will be closed for a couple of months whilst the FC finish the thinning work.
We met with the FC and the contractors up at Thrunton to check how they are going to avoid damage to HP Sauce. We walked the trail with them, and we have agreed that they will minimise the number of times that they have to cross the trail, which will be a maximum of 3 times and possibly only 2. At these points they will cover the trail with a timber raft and have this removed once the operation is complete. The FC have also walked the line and taped it with a green tape to show the route to the contractors so they don't cross it. They have clearly marked the points where the contractors will cross it. They have also taped off the route entry and exit points with red tape.
The trail will now be closed for about 2 months until the work is finished, which will also give the trail time to recover from the excess use over the winter.
Please tell other bikers to avoid the trail until the work is completed. The Thrunton Trail Builders Group will then have a trail maintenance day up there to repair any damaged sections and strengthen some of the eroded sections.
By the way, if anyone is willing to join the trail building group, let me know - the more help the better!

toons":2z810f8m said:
What about night ride around the Kielder Red route?

I can't play out until after seven so it would be almost nine by the time I got there, so I'm out for that one. Fancy doing it one Saturday if you are up for that. We could possibly temp some of the Clan MacRetro down for that one too.

Si

Dr S":2u1soaal said:
toons":2u1soaal said:
What about night ride around the Kielder Red route?

I can't play out until after seven so it would be almost nine by the time I got there, so I'm out for that one. Fancy doing it one Saturday if you are up for that. We could possibly temp some of the Clan MacRetro down for that one too.

Si
9! how slow do you drive, it only takes an hour, which way you going?

Defo up for the Saturday ride.

Back