Anyone know of any routes near me? Junction 27 m62 ish.

Leighcal

Retro Guru
I'm looking for some loops I could do from my house probably about 10 miles to start with as I'm not so fit yet but open to all suggestions. I'm close to junction 27 m62 so morley, batley, drighlington. Ideally am looking for a little bit of road dropping on to trails maybe back to road then more trails. I have some woods 1/4 mile from me which are great for messing around with some great downhill and some good and sometimes technical, challenging climbs which is great for gettin my fitness up but can get a bit boring doing the same 4 mile loop every time I go out. If I knew of more places near me or a bigger loop with more trails to seek then I would make the effort and get out a lot more.
Any help much appreciated
Thanks in advance.

Leigh

Leighcal":k8wwmnwk said:
I'm looking for some loops I could do from my house probably about 10 miles to start with as I'm not so fit yet but open to all suggestions. I'm close to junction 27 m62 so morley, batley, drighlington. Ideally am looking for a little bit of road dropping on to trails maybe back to road then more trails. I have some woods 1/4 mile from me which are great for messing around with some great downhill and some good and sometimes technical, challenging climbs which is great for gettin my fitness up but can get a bit boring doing the same 4 mile loop every time I go out. If I knew of more places near me or a bigger loop with more trails to seek then I would make the effort and get out a lot more.
Any help much appreciated
Thanks in advance.

Leigh

Hi Leigh

I think stu (slmracing) maybe you man in that area, also have a look at :facepalm: strava :facepalm: for trails in your local area and then join em up with a bit of road?

hope this helps kaya

That IKEA isn't it?

Definitely recommend getting on strava and looking a the HeatMaps to see what off roads (and cheeky offroads) you can use.
Unfortunately you cannot lock it down to off-road routes as no matter how many times they are asked, they will not separate Rides to on road and offroad.
But it is great for seeing where you can go.
Looking on OS maps on Bing Maps, you're well built up around there so it's going to be cheeky routes by and large unless you head south. But you're not far from the corner of the Yorks Dales or top of the Peaks.
Certainly think Stu may be able to help.

You could join the peaks ride beginning of next month if you want

Peaks ride would kill me! My aim is to get fit by finding a mixed route from my door that is 10 miles +/-2, then in 4-6 weeks double it. I've got a good 5 mile loop but only done it twice, it's 50/50 road\trails with the chance to get fitness bit up quicker from some of challenging climbs the off road part has.
Then maybe next year get out there on some retro rides. The low spec kona I'm using has got me right back into mountain biking.

Fitness is not often not a problem on many of the rides, ability to eat and drink does help though ;-)
If you can do 20 miles then that's perfect for joining a retroride or any ride they put on.

If you use facebook, join this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/684008261743569/ it is this areas facebook group
Matthew is the admin so may be worth mentioning you're from retrobike.

There are many more people on there who may be able to give you some pointers, they may not of course ;-)

Not looking good for riding any retro's then! Heartburn at the slightest crumb of food and don't drink! Unless it's a good cappuccino or a cup of tea that doesn't resemble dishwater!
Hopefully by Christmas I'll be doing 20 miles or thereabouts so spring should see me doing at least 30.
I'm not on Facebook, ore trouble than it's worth lol, I know that's where most stuff happens these days but I'd rather miss out than have Facebook.
Thanks so far, think I just need to get out and see what I can find .

Re:

Hi Leigh

Yesterday I did an impromptu ride around Harewood. 13 miles of a good mix of terrain, nothing strenuous but not all flat either.

If I go again with more notice, I will let you know so you may join me.

Re:

Coffee and Tea is good, but not cake, oh dear ;-) Have you ridden around this area marc? Nice to see you still getting out. Nice to see me getting out sometimes at the moment though.

Re:

Hiya Ben.

Yes, i've got a ride round those parts that is a shade under 13 miles. It starts off in East keswick and meanders towards Harewood house. A loop round the grounds (bridal way), then re-trace the outward leg back to the pub. The car parking is free too. ;)

It's in a part of Leeds that i could extend and deviate in quite a few ways, but this one has it all. parking, human fuel and stuff to see like red kytes, farm yard creatures and bush tucker like blackberry.

That's about my league at the moment as more strenuous rides seem to piss off old neck injuries and i fatigue quickly. This route will be part of a mini series of rides that i will report back on or, maybe broadcast them to invite others providing they won't interfere with the official stuff.

Yep, still got the palisades! :)

That would be good, I know the area quite well, maybe not the trails you know but the general area. I like harewood just for the wildlife! Watching the red kites is something I could sit and watch all day. It's also worth a roll down the hill towards otley to look over the wall at the deer who live at harewood. Great place for wildlife. I used to commute between Leeds and Harrogate daily, on 2 wheels still but a lot faster than cycling. I've seen a few badgers early hours/late night at the side of the road between harewood and Harrogate. That's the thing for me, it's not just about the riding, it's the scenery, wildlife, outdoors in general. I'm gonna do my best to get to the peaks ride will be worth the week of aches and pains just for scenery.
I went out and did 13 miles other day was a lovely evening, got a nice little spot to ride to high on a hill overlooking farmland and a few horse fields, oh, and a train line lol. It was nice to have some peace and quiet even if the climbing killed me off a bit it was nice to be out.

Back