Leeds canal to kirkstall abbey. 23.2.2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Due to unexpected demand *flood*

The North East, North and west yorkshire area group proudly present...

Leeds canal to kirkstall abbey

This ride starts in the pleasant lock-side location of woodlesford, south leeds and takes advantage of the canal tow paths that meander towards Leeds city centre and beyond to frolic in the grounds of Kirkstall abbey. Along the way we find many nods towards leeds' industrial heritage and modern develpments.

Date:: 23/2/2014. Sunday.

Time:: 10:00 for 10:30 start

Terrain:: canal cut and asphalt paths. flat.

Difficulty:: 2/5 easy.

Distance:: 20 miles

The postcode will suggest a specific street. The parking is actually pottery lane and free, just get a tyre on path to allow good traffic flow and not block path either.
There is a chuck van nearby for drinks and food, i'm unsure of menu but they seem to do most things. Then we are straight on the canal to visit thwaite mills for a short rest. Beyond this we next rest at the royal armouries and then along to the ride's terminus, kirkstall abbey!
A food stop is across the road at a large supermarket for toilet, food and whatever else.
We expect to be back at start point by 3pm.

Beat the wet and ride with us! It's basically dry with isolated puddles.

No helmet, no ride!

hope to make this one;
going to be a bad start to rides this year;north york moors
will take some drying up after all this wet weather :|
be doing old railway tracks till june :facepalm:

Think I will ride from home to the meeting point, what do you think Marc? by the way I will be painting your Alpine stars frame in the morning :D

Matthews":3h0ffkbj said:
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=208094852494188207208.0004d42fcf8931301d11d&msa=0&ll=53.761106,-1.445968&spn=0.004046,0.007489&iwloc=0004f2963dec8d1a52f8f

Should be the start point .
Thats the one mate. Spaces are limited there, if no joy reverse back up to pottery lane and find ample parking.

Travel-wise, the start point is around 2-3 miles from motorways. Whether it's M62, M1 or A1 it couldn't be easier, let your sat-navs bring you in. Bullerthorpe lane down from colton will probably be popular.
Just off the motorway(M1)jnc 46 you find yourselves almost immediately in colton retail park where you will find sainsbury's for toilet, fuel and cash machine services. And a mc'dees if you are starving. ;)

LS15 9JH retail park.

Oh, some off road tyres will be better, even semi slick should be ok. Mud guards a bonus too, if only to save you a few splashes.

slmracing":1ordqld1 said:
Think I will ride from home to the meeting point, what do you think Marc? by the way I will be painting your Alpine stars frame in the morning :D

Yes, i think i will do the same. I know a 'motorists' shop on route if we need any emergency spares. I rode down on sunday and pedaled 3 times, more or less down hill!
That is our carbon footprint well and truly rubbed out. This takes some beating though, something i say yesterday.....you can't get much greener than this for travel.

Cheers for the lacquer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back