Yorvik Adventure- two tribes 23/6/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
YORVIK ADVENTURE

Two tribes to invade this historic walled city.

The north east, north and west yorkshire area group team up with the lincolnshire, east and south yorkshire area group to take on the sights and splendor of yorkshire's true capital, YORK.

The tribal meet begins at the northern entrance of riccall village, north of selby. situated literally on the A19, main trunk road between doncaser, selby and york, access couldn't be easier. This is 10 yrds from the start of the cycle track to take us through yorks' southern countryside with planetary point of interest along the way( you will see what i mean)! The ex-rail trail terminates at the knavemire (york racecourse) and then a loop of this interesting city begins.

Link to start point...

http://goo.gl/maps/vhF98

The lucky few will park within that lay-by/parking place but, others are ok to park on the village main street (york road) providing no residents are put out or if there are any yellow lines painted on the floor :)

Selby train station is just a couple of miles down the road

Date: 23rd june 2013.

Time: 10:00 for 10:30 start.

Terrain: disused rail tracks and city cycle paths.

Difficulty: 1/5.

Distance: 25 miles.

What's on?

As a direct alternative to the cancellation of the jumble that was due to be held at the knavesmire, york on that day. The plan is to ride the route in a more urban cyclist's fashion or 'hybrid' in some manner or another. This is the mtb section, don't change channel! The aim is to use existing mtb frames and lessen the drag with some slinky joe's. baldy bob's or whatever you have to hand. I personally will be on knobblies as it's all i have and the mileage can be traded off against drag. :)
The route is little changed from the original but, has a loop around york city centre to polish it off and compensate for lack of jumble.
Again, all will be clear by this friday but start point is at riccall village a few miles north of selby, north yorks. Then, directly up the rail trail to york racecourse. From here we use the roads for just 1 mile up to york minster. The rest of it will remain undisclosed, for now ;) but, plenty to see and a lunch stop in york central is on the cards. with a food outlet every 20 yrds i reckon we will be spoilt for choice :D

After a brief stop for refreshments at the racecourse we will make attack formation past the train station and on to york minster, the uk's largest minster! from here a medley of historic features and points of interest that link together and gradually lead us back to the racecourse.

The city is well visited and no doubt busy with tourists from all over the world. The route has been figured with minimal pedestrian clash and as little tarmac travel as possible. so, consideration to all traffic laws and pedestrians is expected so we all have a good time. Some cobbled streets are expected so, remember your denture-fix ;) . All city centre facilities are on tap.

NO HELMET: NO RIDE

I can't make this one and I'm gutted. I'm 'On Call' for work all week. I have been forced into working 'On Call' recently and I hate the very mention of it. The coverage is from 6PM until 6AM the next morning then the full weekend until 6AM on the Monday morning. I have to be no less than 30 minutes away from my home and I have to be able to, remotely, support the IT systems of my employer who currently has a 3.6 Billion turnover Per Annum.

Hate it. Don't want to do it. Sulking about it.

Surely you should be able to do remote computerfaffing on the move, we're in the mobile era ;)

Pencilling this one in. Be nice to get out with you all.

Can't make this one I'm afraid as I'm in Dumfries and Galloway (well driving back from there with a Caravan in tow).
Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back