Holiday options time near York

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Evening all,

The destination of James invasion for 2013 with wife , Mother & child is somewhere near York I have been instructed ? I have absolutely no knowledge of the area but hopefully you do? :cool:

Our criteria normally consists of

-Cottage rather than hotel
-Like to be amongst places of interest rather than lots of travel
-enjoy castles, museums , county parks, nice sea towns etc
-The boy normally gets a kids day
-they want to visit York itself
-We DONT like hectic, noisy chav party towns

Anywhere recommended or more important avoid ?

The mrs is on about Whitby?

Any input be great :cool:

Cheers

daj

Check out Helmsley, a beautiful town north of York and on a good road to Scarborough and Whitby. Has its own castle and there are plenty of historic sites nearby such as riveux abbey. Also plenty of amazing scenery.

Flamingo land an light water valley are also not too far a drive to occupy the little uns.

I have manage to work in some amazing places over the years, but my time working in Helmsley was especially memorable.

Also check out dalby forest (with bike, or drop in on pace an buy a new one!) and the views from Sutton bank, both close by

Hi Dave,

I'm more of a day tripper myself, so accommodation-wise, i'm out of wisdom.

but...you are spoilt for choice in york, you could spent a full day there and only see half of the 'outstanding' stuff. a city big on cycling too so, plenty of your own kind around.

some east of york centre rentals on trip advisor below.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VRACSearch ... ed+Kingdom

east of york will keep you near to major roads for access/ A64 ,1079 towards hull, for example. quiet farming villages in all directions here but, 5 mins drive to york centre ;) Elvington is nearby too for the air museum.
castle howard is another 10 mile or so up the A64 for a day spent in historic grounds.
York centre is just busting with stuff to do and see, from the actual burial place if dick turpin to york minster. the 'shambles' is a must too just around the corner.
park and ride is available at tescos, near york college and the racecourse. quite advisable really considering yorks' busy city centre. A pub aptly named the 'roman' has a recently excavated roman bath in it's cellar, worth a visit and you can buy roman coins that they find whilst digging.

i could go on forever :shock: all walking distance from each other.

If i learn more i will add and...add.

daj":14jkztrv said:
Evening all,

The destination of James invasion for 2013 with wife , Mother & child is somewhere near York I have been instructed ? I have absolutely no knowledge of the area but hopefully you do? :cool:

Our criteria normally consists of

1st-Cottage rather than hotel
2nd-Like to be amongst places of interest rather than lots of travel
3rd-enjoy castles, museums , county parks, nice sea towns etc
4th-The boy normally gets a kids day
5th-they want to visit York itself
6th-We DONT like hectic, noisy chav party towns

Anywhere recommended or more important avoid ?

The mrs is on about Whitby?

Any input be great :cool:

Cheers

daj

Hi daj

It sounds like your looking for some where in North Yorkshire ?

1st, there's lots of holiday cottages so no problems there.

2nd, your in North Yorkshire, there's every thing from surfing lessons to steam trains BUT most of the area is quite rural so expect to travel.

3rd, No problem ticking all the box's but again you'll have to do a bit of travelling.

4th, lots of things for kids to do... what's he into ?

5th, All roads lead to York :LOL: If you stay around the Whitby area, it would take about an hour to get to York (the moors road is stunning) if you were in Helmsley then about 40ish mins.

6th, There's not many party type towns (excluding the big city's)

Whitby... Well I've spent a lot of time in and around there, so personally I think its a great place, but it can be very busy in peak season and sunny weekends.

I've always stayed at Sandsend, its a village just to the north of Whitby and is a lot quieter in the evenings.

What month are you thinking of ?

If you can be a bit more specific about area's your interested in, there will be some one here who'll be-able to help.

kaya

Thanks everyone this is ace !! :cool:

With the Wife being a teacher and boy its going to be first week or maybe more of the summer holiday (last week of July/1st Aug)

All sounds good though I can see it being a goer :cool:

you need to visit the shambles bar in Whitby, ask for William the owner, mention my name ( Stuart McGregor ) He will then provide you and your family with an excellent meal, please do not get drunk as the rules are you will automatically be entered into a wheel chair race down the flight of stairs that leads to the Shambles Bar. I love Whitby and have some great memory's, pretty sure you will enjoy your stay :D

I assume you do not mind travelling as York is not near the coast and not near to Whitby, personally I would look at Hovingham, Helmsley, Ampleforth area the food and pubs around there are nice, especially around Ampleforth.

The moors and even the Dales are not to far so you young in found go climb on Brimham Rock is he likes that sort of thing, scarbourgh, whitby are a drive away but doable for the coast.
York is close by and the Park and Rides are pretty good for York and the countryside around there is nice.
Let alone the local countryside, spent the past few holidays up their myself over Slingsby and Wass/Ampleforth.

It would tick every box there.

Oh and if your school holidays are the same as ours (eastriding , I think the York might have the same dates then holidays start 20th July, which just happens to be the NE Yorks. Retrobike National weekend.
Make it so...

If you dont mind a 40 min drive to York,you could do a lot worse than Beverley.Not sure what holiday cottages there are,but its quite a nice place.Then you can visit the East coast too.Scarborough being about 50 mins from Bev.Lots of old pubs to visit and the Market on a Saturday.And Beverley Minster too.Hull is only 20 mins away too. :D

Back