City tours?

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
We have a wealth of urban areas here in Yorkshire which I would love to explore. Anyone got any ideas for an urban ride, finding lots of steps and drops and fun stuff to ride around on? Could anyone lead such a ride? Would be nice to do something like this one evening maybe during winter, or at the weekend for a longer jaunt. Would mean less cleaning of bikes but a whole heap of fun..

hi rob.

Not a bad idea. i for one am bogged down with more off-road ride stuff so cant offer any suggestions but, i get your concept.
there will be a ride in june that loosely follows your ideology(look out for it) apart from that i agree that there are loads of towns and cities with interesting features and architecture to muse on. the sort of thing i try incorporate into my rides as a way to compensate for the lack of 'mountains' ;).

I know some hull/south yorks riders run round hull town on occasion. ideal for when there's nothing else going on or, some locals want to meet at short notice for a bimble.

ChrisV40 is trying to arrange one for tomorrow. Pop over to the East Yorks section for more info. I'm trying to get sorted to go myself. It's always good to do a bit of an urban now and then and Hull has some great sites, the river banks, docklands and old town are amazing.

Yes we are riding tomorrow from Hessle through the centre of Hull and out to a village called Paull. The entire ride is right on the banks of the Humber and includes riverside singletrack, tarmac, cobbled dock areas, very dodgy lock gate crossings and even a raised pedestrian walkway that goes on forever.

This type of ride seems to be gaining in popularity a bit recently maybe due to the terrible weather we have been having. I was out on a local off road ride a couple of weeks ago and to be honest although it was a laugh in places half of my favorite trails were practically unrideable .

Vern told me last weekend that the Moors are almost a no g area and if he says that you know it must be bad :LOL:

Rob I'm sure you are aware of the new group (Links, East & South Yorks) just keep an eye on it as we are out and about somewhere most weekends.
Our main February ride will be a country lane trip out to Spurn Point which I hope will be popular.

Sorry Vern & Marc not trying to hijack your riders :oops: :LOL:

hi guys.

don't forget your cameras and well charged batteries. i know little of this area. ought to be quite dry for you too, overcast and mild.

have a good one. :cool:

Rob Atkin":wp86j028 said:
We have a wealth of urban areas here in Yorkshire which I would love to explore. Anyone got any ideas for an urban ride, finding lots of steps and drops and fun stuff to ride around on? Could anyone lead such a ride? Would be nice to do something like this one evening maybe during winter, or at the weekend for a longer jaunt. Would mean less cleaning of bikes but a whole heap of fun..

I take it that the DMR is almost ready and you've been watching Chainspotting Rob ;)

The problem with urban riding is Cars, Coffin dodgers, Crazy Woman with prams, Dogs, etc. etc :roll:

Most of the steps and drops I've come a cross in towns and city's are on pavements (Which are NOT legal to ride) so that means most of the time you have to ride on the roads and there are bike especially for that job ;)

Rob Atkin":wp86j028 said:
Could anyone lead such a ride?

The simple answer is yes BUT......
For it to be an official RetroBike ride and promoted as such, It needs to be reccied buy an AEC or Deputy, Also their needs to be an AEC or Deputy attending the event as well.

Probably... the best way to organise an urban ride, would be to find two or more skate/jump spots ride one and then use any urban singletrack to ride to the next, with a cafe/chippy on route (NO PUBS :LOL: )

If you want to do the route planing etc I'll meet up with you for the recce and I'm sure we can find a slot in the calender if there's enough interest ??

sounds like a good idea, I just hope this year is better regarding the weather, I want to ride my mountain bikes over mountains, not rivers and ducks :? :?

kaya":7uowhuyr said:
Rob Atkin":7uowhuyr said:

I take it that the DMR is almost ready and you've been watching Chainspotting Rob ;)

The problem with urban riding is Cars, Coffin dodgers, Crazy Woman with prams, Dogs, etc. etc :roll:

Most of the steps and drops I've come a cross in towns and city's are on pavements (Which are NOT legal to ride) so that means most of the time you have to ride on the roads and there are bike especially for that job ;)

Rob Atkin":7uowhuyr said:
Could anyone lead such a ride?

The simple answer is yes BUT......
For it to be an official RetroBike ride and promoted as such, It needs to be reccied buy an AEC or Deputy, Also their needs to be an AEC or Deputy attending the event as well.

Probably... the best way to organise an urban ride, would be to find two or more skate/jump spots ride one and then use any urban singletrack to ride to the next, with a cafe/chippy on route (NO PUBS :LOL: )

If you want to do the route planing etc I'll meet up with you for the recce and I'm sure we can find a slot in the calender if there's enough interest ??

Problem is that I don't know whats available to ride. I know Huddersfield quite well but not Leeds/Hull/Wakey enough. Someone else would have to do the planning first. :-(

Back