CATALOG BIKES

wontchuckanut

Retrobike Rider
someone has got to fly the flag for the early catalog bikes, the bikes that where in kays or littlewoods catalogs and you could pay them off over a 1000 years, watch this space :shock:

Littlewoods got me into mountain biking, my Claud Butler Silver Ridge came from the catalogue and I put a lot of happy miles on that bike.

CATALOGUE BIKES

i think some of the late 80s / early 90s catalogue bikes have become rare because of of the type of buyer they mostly had, if you was going to buy a mtb back then from a catalogue you was already starting 5 down in points from a score of 10, they might have been bought in the mtb boom and only ridden down a canal towpath 4 times and then when the catalogs started selling suspension models they was taken to the tip and cast off without care, if it was out of date it was gone simple as that, im taking about the people that dont no how to repair a puncture and would go to the bike shop for a squeaking brake, yes these bikes dont have a prestige name but they have a place on here too, its not just a Ferrari that becomes a classic when it gets old, its the fiesta too, if its old its in and if its not become part of a washing machine or on the back of a scrap mans transit on its way to china then even better :shock:

marc two tone":xuosckmg said:
fingers crossed for a pic of townsend hot rock. :cool:

Youve just brought back a painful memory from my childhood, as i had a 22" townsend hotrock, and it had those top tube running cable guides, i slipped off as a short legged teen and ended up with a tear somewhere you should never tear.... :oops:

I also had a 'catalogue' bike, i had a raleigh max cromo, finished in a lovely blue, 18" this time thankfully, and decked out in shimano's finest altus groupset (which was rapidly binned in favour of a mix of STX/STX-RC/XT/XTR) lol, uno stem, club roost go fast riser bars, hope hubbed mavic rimmed front wheel, and tioga pshyco tyres, i miss phsyco's, they were removed when the bike got stolen, as was the hope hubbed front wheel, some cheap crappy michelin wildgripper copies in green were on it when my LBS recovered it for me!

Back