Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:04 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Just what the doctor ordered. A pleasant ride in nice settings.

The pics fool you not! we had good warm sun for most of the ride although when we stopped for rest or repair you were quickly reminded that autumn is upon us :)

Thank for the company today and huge thanks to stu(slmracing) for the route guidance. i must say it was good to see old ned (paul) after sometime and found it annoying that a mature gent tamed the trails and made me look ill 8) old ned also added some off-beat mileage to the ride, thanks. I've got some virus coursing it's way round my body making any thought of food make me gip. glad i made the effort to join in.

Although we saw plenty of mud, it was all passable with some neat techy drops for fun. Kenaltobeli(trouble) to me and you, lost the side-wall to his michelin just a few miles in leading to a trip to a nearby supermarket for a new tyre. a welcome rest for me so, not complaining :wink:

I had fun and i'm sure the other four of the infamous five did too.

cheers.

this was the team for the day.

sandal castle needs another visit sometime.

reliable steel.

more pics soon, off for a bath now.

cheers.

Last edited by marc two tone on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:56 pm 
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC

Hi All

A big 'Thanks' goes out to Stuart and Mark for this one. It did exactly what it said on the tin, nice and steady, good pace, not too technical or hard on the old bones.

A+ ride in my opinion and just what I needed.

Great to meet Old Ned or 'Spider Monkey' as I will call him from now on. He showed me how to dismount and dance all at the same time, never seen a guy move so quick and swing round a tree so proficiently ;-)

One thing I did learn very quickly on this ride, my brakes are terrible. I'm planning on replacing the cable inners, outers, V-Brake units and brake blocks. Utterly terrible. At one point I was riding perfectly fine with my rear brake on full !

Is anyone else suffering from rancid pumps after eating the pub grub burgers or is it just me...........

Anyhoo... my pictures.............

And the Freddy Krueger shredded tyre, this one literately disintegrated before our eyes, lesson learnt, always run old bikes on new tyres:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:36 pm 
NE, North and West Yorks Deputy AEC
NE, North and West Yorks Deputy AEC

Thank you everyone for making the effort to turn up and ride, that was my first attempt at putting a ride together and I am very pleased with the result, the weather was excellent for this time of year, some of the trails were great fun sliding about in the mud :D :D :D looking forward to building some more rides for next year.

who is up for the ride at Dalby forest on the 27th of December

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:21 pm 
Classified Mod / Lincs, East and South Yorks AEC
Classified Mod / Lincs, East and South Yorks AEC

Great pics there, looks like you all had fun :D

Was that a Z Max tyre? Exactly the same happened to mine at the Kildale Cake Run if you remember, they must be the worst tyres for degrading.

That looks like a lovely area Stuart, could it be extended for a spring/summer ride?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:06 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Location: where having straight teeth in your mouth is more important than the words that come out of it
glad you had a good day. thought dalby was 28th btw or is that just me. Iirc aswell Sandal castle is the castle where when the dukes men were up they were safe but he lead them out and down to do battle and they were slaughtered. as in... the grand old duke of york, he had ten thousand men...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:05 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Looks like a good ride around what was my "backyard" when I was a teenager :D I spent many a ride around seckar woods, and wintersett.
Couldn't make this ride but would definately be interested in doing it again at some point.
did Old Ned used to run the Blazing Saddles shop in Castleford? I used to pop in there in the early/mid 90's :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:33 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

more pics...

trebz, yes to the pump thing :wink:

same for old ned :wink:

:lol:

yorkshire ducks!

other fowl

oh, yeah, bike stuff...

i christen thee..

Emley moor tower far left, you see it yes.

bye for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:57 am 
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider

Looks like a really cool ride guys, jealous i couldnt go, and trust me i wouldve much rather been out on one of my bikes that having the inside of my mouth drilled/cut to shreds :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:08 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Nice one chaps 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:53 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

jimo746 wrote:
Looks like a good ride around what was my "backyard" when I was a teenager :D I spent many a ride around seckar woods, and wintersett.
Couldn't make this ride but would definately be interested in doing it again at some point.
did Old Ned used to run the Blazing Saddles shop in Castleford? I used to pop in there in the early/mid 90's :shock:

No, but I did hang out there a lot - and it was in Sharlston. Mac owned it and we had a race team. Photo below (also includes Bibb, a member of RB).

Thanks for the ride guys, my first off-road one this year! :oops: It's reminded me of how much fun it can be so I'll have to try to get out and get dirty a bit more.

Washed the bike this morning! :shock: Can't believe how much muck a bike can carry and still keep working. :wink:

Attachments:
BlazingSaddles92.A.jpg
BlazingSaddles92.A.jpg [ 132.95 KiB | Viewed 564 times ]