OS maps,which one?

electronicaeric

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Im just looking at Ordnance survey maps for Market Weighton Pock HOSM
etc and have come across both land ranger and explorer maps.Which is best? or do I buy both?

Any help on my choice would be really appreciated.

Cheers :D

Thanks peeps.Im gonna get both I think.I would like lots of detail but need ease of use.Found some on the bay at 4.95 each.

Cheers Eric :D

If you've got a not so smart phone with inbuilt GPS I can recommend viewranger (Andriod, Symbian and apple), been using it for 2 years now both walking, cycling and off roading, software is free but you then buy either countrywide or various tiles (min puch is £15 I seem to remember but you get lots for that) You can use your purchased maps on up to 4 devices (my phone , wifes phone and tablet in Land Rover).
If anyone wants to see it I'll be at the wolds run . I've just about given up using paper maps now (but yes I still carry one if I'm going to be out for a very long day). You can also preprogram routes into it from PC but I don't tend to bother and just use it as an electronic map and route logger.
1.50K landranger for cycling though if buying paper.
Matthew

electronicaeric":3jods2gs said:
Thanks peeps.Im gonna get both I think.I would like lots of detail but need ease of use.Found some on the bay at 4.95 each.

Cheers Eric :D

If your getting a 1:25 then go for a laminated one , will last allot longer !

For a quick look on the computer, pop to BING OS maps.
e.g. (start of the 'millington' ride) http://binged.it/OJXCVL

They're more up to date than the maps I use on Memorymap to create my printout.

I'm almost certain that a new set of maps 2012 where made this year as well. So older maps might be out of date. Most of that would be roads though.

Thanks for the tips everyone.The bing Jobby looks interesting

Regards Eric :D

If I find any good routes(all on flat atm till after the op)I will post up here :D

Maps came.Glad I bought them.All though its a shame you cant ride on Public Footpaths as well as Bridleways.I have found some great Trails,but all seem to be linked by either bizzy roads or Public Footpaths. :(
Wouldn't want to mow a Rambler down. ;)

The footpath thing's a lot greyer than you think, it's not against the law to ride on a footpath but the land owner can prosecute you for trespass if they catch you and then have your name and address, common sense is the best thing to use, on my local rides I use a few quiet footpaths and have had no problems as I go out of my way yo be polite and curteous, go into the dales and the bobble hat brigade seem to have a fit even on bridleways.
Matthew

Back